Spyder Garage

Default Do all backrests suck?

I have a 2018 F3. I'm fine with the stock seat, but I need lower back support. I've installed a generic Chinesium backrest, but I find it slowly bends rearward, even on the lowest position.

It stays put for about 50 miles, then starts to bend. I'm 190bs, and I make an effort not to push back too hard, but it still bends. I've looked around, but they all seem to be the same setup, and the main support bar just isn't strong enough.

I paid about $100.00 for mine, but , even looking at more expensive backrests, they all seem to have the same metal support bracket.

Short of buying a $900.00 custom seat with a built in backrest, are there any alternatives?

Thanks
    Brian in Tucson.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Check out the Smooth Spyder backrest. It won’t bend back. They are a site sponsor.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I saw that, and thank you. Holy moly, though, its over $500.00.
    The other issue, is, that if I decide to take a passenger, I will lose my backrest. It's for the driver OR the passenger.

But, that may be the choice I have to take. I'm kind of lower middle class , so I'll have to save up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I saw that, and thank you. Holy moly, though, its over $500.00.
    The other issue, is, that if I decide to take a passenger, I will lose my backrest. It's for the driver OR the passenger.

But, that may be the choice I have to take. I'm kind of lower middle class , so I'll have to save up.
    I worked as a Mechanic all my working life , and have built several Hot Rods , Show Car's and a pile of Motor cycles , just an affordable answer to your problem would be remove your Back Rest , and take it to a good metal shop that might Cut / Weld & Build the piece that is Bending , with some better / stronger Metal that would fit and slide right in where the one you have now fits..... Just a Thought... but if I had that problem that's what I would do. hope this idea might help .
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Utopia back rest is the best and they are also very inexpensive and very high quality. I have had them on 3 different bikes.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Utopia back rest is the best and they are also very inexpensive and very high quality. I have had them on 3 different bikes.
    I'll do the Google and check back in. Thanks!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    X's 10 .... I've owned a few of them .... When I was vending I would buy the Utopia pad on e-bay and then make the Bracket for the seat ( 2014 thru 2018 ) .... they are the thinnest , most comfortable , and most adjustable sold .... they are easy to make lumbar supports for also .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    I worked as a Mechanic all my working life , and have built several Hot Rods , Show Car's and a pile of Motor cycles , just an affordable answer to your problem would be remove your Back Rest , and take it to a good metal shop that might Cut / Weld & Build the piece that is Bending , with some better / stronger Metal that would fit and slide right in where the one you have now fits..... Just a Thought... but if I had that problem that's what I would do. hope this idea might help .

+ 1 on that. Get it beefed up or a replica bracket made out of some decent metal by an Engineer/Metalworker. No Brainer for the costings. . .
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I'm investigating the Utopia backrest right now. One part of the installation has me concerned, and I haven't found any videos that would clarify this step. Does anyone here know where I can find and installation video? None of the Utopia videos seem to work for me.

"This model does require that you unstaple and fold back material & foam from seat pan in order to install mounting bracket"

I'd like to do this part myself, but it would be helpful if I can find the instructions online.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I'd like to do this part myself, but it would be helpful if I can find the instructions online.

Thanks
    Before doing that Brian, you might want to read your PM's (click on the flashing Red Notification up in the top right of the page &/or open your Inbox, click YES to Send Read Receipt ) and then follow the instructions in the messages sent to you by the Mod/Admin Team! We can only help you to help yourself to a certain extent...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 02:44 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Check out the Smooth Spyder backrest. It won’t bend back. They are a site sponsor.
    +1 for SmoothSpyder well built & multifunctional :thumbup believe Jim has a pic of it in vertical position using as a seat on back of his F3. One downside to any& all backrest on spyders: any pothole or bump kicks like a mule when rear tire hits it

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    x2
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have the one you have pictured and I can attest it will not bend and I'm weighing in at 247 pounds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Before doing that Brian, you might want to read your PM's (click on the flashing Red Notification up in the top right of the page &/or open your Inbox, click YES to Send Read Receipt ) and then follow the instructions in the messages sent to you by the Mod/Admin Team! We can only help you to help yourself to a certain extent...
    I try to avoid reading PMs, as they are usually the moderator warning me and handing down punishment for some rule infraction. Actually, I just checked, and I have no PMs in my inbox.

Spyder Garage

I got one about like the one in the picture too. Been on the scooter for at least 2 or 3 years. It is easy to adjust, stays where you put it, and does not bend. It is also easy to swap between the rear fender fairing thing and the pax seat pad. I got no complaints with it.

I think I did add some lock nuts to some of the bolts, but I do that on most fasteners on machinery that vibrates.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 05-29-2023 at 07:04 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I try to avoid reading PMs, as they are usually the moderator warning me and handing down punishment for some rule infraction. Actually, I just checked, and I have no PMs in my inbox.
    Well, obviously no good deed goes unpunished!

I've tried to do this nicely more than once now, but if you want to be that way about it, you might want to rethink that ^^ if you wish to keep posting here!

PM me when you've read and followed the directions in those PM's from more than just this moderator.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 08:06 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!