Spyder Garage

Default will '13 RT computer hold memory for 3-hrs without battery ?

Will my bike's radio & computer hold its memory for the 3 hours it takes me to remove dying battery and drive to Batteries Plus+ and return with new battery and install back into my Bike ?

Need battery today or tomorrow and nearest CanAm dealer (4-hr round trip) is not open on Sunday or Monday

Not sure I fully trust Batteries Plus+ to sell me proper replacement without old battery in my hand to compare shape, terminal orientation and the CCA's. Thanks in advance !!
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Call them /go online & ask for YUASA. YTX24HL 350CCA They sometimes have discounts online. Yes the computer “should” hold, the trip meter& other settings might reset, but odometer won’t

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you're asking about the entertainment system settings, correct?

Or, is there something else you're concerned about?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You shouldn't lose Odometer readings, but things like radio station presets & time etc, Nope, they'll probably go!!

But if you get yourself one of those little 9V battery/memory saver things with alligator clips on it that'll let you connect a 9V smoke alarm battery across the battery leads before you disconnect them from the main battery, then it should have enough juice in it to keep all your settings alive, just so long as you haven't turned on the ignition for at least 35-40+ minutes before you try to take the main battery out! That's cos there's a bunch of extra things that are kept alive for 30-35 minutes or so after each & every time you turn the ignition off that take a whole bunch of power to operate, and the little 9V battery doesn't stand a chance of keeping them all going for more than a few minutes AND saving your optional settings too!

Mind you, unless you can find one of the relatively few 'good' dealers around that's recommended by members here on the Forum, then I'd be trusting Batteries Plus+ to supply you with a new battery that fits, has better specs, and probably costs less too, before I'd go trusting just 'any' BRP Dealer That's certainly the case here in my part of the World, and going by the few reports of 'good dealers' that we see here on the Forum from over your way, it doesn't look to be too much different over there!

By the Way, regardless of where you get it from, unless you KNOW the seller has done it beforehand (& not just said they've done it! ) then once you get a new battery, it's a very good idea to put it on charge for 8-12 hours before installing it. Most new batteries only come with a 'light charge' these days, and if you want to give your new battery the best chance of working properly and lasting well, then it really needs a good loooong charge, preferably on a 'Smart Charger', before it gets put to work. With a Smart Charger, you should be able to install it and then connect it up to the charger & let it sit & soak up the power for the next 8-12 hours in situ; you could probably even install it and start your bike maybe ONCE or at most twice-ish before riding it at hwy speeds for the next few hours or so and then putting it on a Smart Charging for 8+ hours; but I really wouldn't be putting a new battery in and then leaving it sit for a few days, nor even over night for that matter!! And that'd be a 'Certainly Not' unless you really want to need to buy ANOTHER new battery within maybe a year or so, quite possibly a lot less!

Over to you. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2023 at 11:11 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You shouldn't lose Odometer readings, but things like radio station presets & time etc, Nope, they'll probably go!!

But if you get yourself one of those little 9V battery/memory saver things with alligator clips on it that'll let you connect a 9V smoke alarm battery across the battery leads before you disconnect them from the main battery, then it should have enough juice in it to keep all your settings alive, just so long as you haven't turned on the ignition for at least 35-40+ minutes before you try to take the main battery out! That's cos there's a bunch of extra things that are kept alive for 30-35 minutes or so after each & every time you turn the ignition off that take a whole bunch of power to operate, and the little 9V battery doesn't stand a chance of keeping them all going for more than a few minutes AND saving your optional settings too!

Mind you, unless you can find one of the relatively few 'good' dealers around that's recommended by members here on the Forum, then I'd be trusting Batteries Plus+ to supply you with a new battery that fits, has better specs, and probably costs less too, before I'd go trusting just 'any' BRP Dealer That's certainly the case here in my part of the World, and going by the few reports of 'good dealers' that we see here on the Forum from over your way, it doesn't look to be too much different over there!

By the Way, regardless of where you get it from, unless you KNOW the seller has done it beforehand (& not just said they've done it! ) then once you get a new battery, it's a very good idea to put it on charge for 8-12 hours before installing it. Most new batteries only come with a 'light charge' these days, and if you want to give your new battery the best chance of working properly and lasting well, then it really needs a good loooong charge, preferably on a 'Smart Charger', before it gets put to work. With a Smart Charger, you should be able to install it and then connect it up to the charger & let it sit & soak up the power for the next 8-12 hours in situ; you could probably even install it and start your bike maybe ONCE or at most twice-ish before riding it at hwy speeds for the next few hours or so and then putting it on a Smart Charging for 8+ hours; but I really wouldn't be putting a new battery in and then leaving it sit for a few days, nor even over night for that matter!! And that'd be a 'Certainly Not' unless you really want to need to buy ANOTHER new battery within maybe a year or so, quite possibly a lot less!

Over to you. Good Luck!
    ..... however let me add this : what is recorded into the computer MEMORY is there almost FOREVER .... The memory can't ever be LOST .... but it can removed, ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2023 at 06:40 PM. Reason: removed Political Comment. :-/

Spyder Garage

If your getting a Yuasa YTX24HL-BS battery its not a 5 minute job to prep it correctly before fitting.

If you order one and get it delivered you can prep it correctly, and then fit it.

Battery removal and refitting a new one takes only minutes.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
    Will my bike's radio & computer hold its memory for the 3 hours it takes me to remove dying battery and drive to Batteries Plus+ and return with new battery and install back into my Bike ?

Need battery today or tomorrow and nearest CanAm dealer (4-hr round trip) is not open on Sunday or Monday

Not sure I fully trust Batteries Plus+ to sell me proper replacement without old battery in my hand to compare shape, terminal orientation and the CCA's. Thanks in advance !!
    Heck GNG. I had my battery removed overnight and didn't loose any settings. So what if you do? You need a new battery. Besides, any critical Engine Management settings are stored in non-volatile memory, anyway. However, simply dumping acid into an AGM battery doesn't properly prep and activate the thing. After that, you need to put it on an initial activation charge. In the case of the Yuasa, that's a 2 amp rate on a smart charger, until the charger shifts to Maintaining Mode. That can take 6 to 8 hours, maybe more. The battery is NOT ready to use until it gets this initial charge. Dealers and stores don't charge the battery. They just put the acid in. I don't care what they tell you, it's not ready to use until it's charged.

Along with all of that, AGM stands for Absorbent Glass Mat. After you put the acid in the battery, you have to allow time for the acid to be absorbed into that dry glass mat, and for the tiny air bubbles to migrate out and float to the surface. Starting the charge too soon defeats the purpose. It's all right there in the instruction sheet. 99% of the issues with pre-mature battery failure are not battery problems - they are the result of improper activation and prep.

If you get a Lithium battery, read the instruction sheet, and prep accordingly.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 05-28-2023 at 06:19 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info guys. Bought the new sealed lead-acid battery from Batteries Plus+ and I load tested it at the store, was 12.9vdc and 350 CCA and seems ready to drop in. Going to install it tomorrow morning.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. Bought the new sealed lead-acid battery from Batteries Plus+ and I load tested it at the store, was 12.9vdc and 350 CCA and seems ready to drop in. Going to install it tomorrow morning.
    You do STILL want to give it a good charge BEFORE installing it, or you'll almost certainly be replacing it sooner than really should be necessary!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here’s an example. My brand new 2023. It was delivered to the dealer and PDI was done on a Thursday. Picked it up the following Thursday - weather - and rode it an hour and a half home. Immediately put it on the charger. It charged for another 7 hours before it was completed. Dealers and stores do NOT activate a battery completely. They simply don’t spend the time.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238