Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    BamaJohn, I think I discovered where you went wrong. The pic shows you putting the BB on the turn signal side of the switch. This pad is double sided. One side does the turn signals and the other does the shifting. You need to put the BB on the shifter side of the switch. Careful when you take the shift mechanism apart to change out the ball for the BB as there is a spring loaded detent ball that will come flying out. Fixed one today that way. I hope it holds up. Will try and do a better description later.
    Thanks EdMat. My photos might not be adequate, but I did put the BB on the shift side of the switch pad, but it stuck in the housing....wish I had you here back when this began
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    So whats the correct size range?
    I measured the OEM ball bearings at 3.96mm
    John B.

Spyder Garage

BamaJohn, I think I discovered where you went wrong. The pic shows you putting the BB on the turn signal side of the switch. This pad is double sided. One side does the turn signals and the other does the shifting. You need to put the BB on the shifter side of the switch. Careful when you take the shift mechanism apart to change out the ball for the BB as there is a spring loaded detent ball that will come flying out. Fixed one today that way. I hope it holds up. Will try and do a better description later.
    Sir, could you elaborate more on taking the shifter apart to place the BB on the correct side? I understand what you mean by the "double sided" switch, but I want to know more about taking the Shifter apart before attempting that. Is the spring-loaded ball easily put back in place? Did you replace both original balls? Thanks everyone for the posts all very informative. Could you perhaps add some pictures? Can-Am should take more responsibility for this obviously troubled part.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2023 at 05:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F32018 View Post
    Sir, could you elaborate more on taking the shifter apart to place the BB on the correct side? I understand what you mean by the "double sided" switch, but I want to know more about taking the Shifter apart before attempting that. Is the spring-loaded ball easily put back in place? Did you replace both original balls? Thanks everyone for the posts all very informative. Could you perhaps add some pictures? Can-Am should take more responsibility for this obviously troubled part.
    "EdMat" might have more info for you, but here's my update: After the original posting I wound up having to replace the whole switch assembly with new. The oem ball bearings in the switch assembly are smaller than a BB, so the BB would only work one side then sticking in place, disabling the other side of the assembly to work (I made it shift but lost turn signals, for example). Sorry I don't have better news.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2023 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    "EdMat" might have more info for you, but here's my update: After the original posting I wound up having to replace the whole switch assembly with new. The oem ball bearings in the switch assembly are smaller than a BB, so the BB would only work one side then sticking in place, disabling the other side of the assembly to work (I made it shift but lost turn signals, for example). Sorry I don't have better news.....
    BamaJohn... thank you for the fast reply. Yes, I saw that earlier. I'm still thinking of a way to repair the switch. I'm thinking of a shim between the ball and the button it needs to push. Seems like a $450 switch assembly is hard to swallow. Also worried that it may just happen again. This happened with only 990 miles on my F3. Thanks again. Maybe
    Edmat can share some more thoughts? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2023 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

What about lead shot? Available in many size's well below BB.
    2020RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    What about lead shot? Available in many size's well below BB.
    Lead Shot - Bad Idea! You'll have more trouble than you Had!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2023 at 06:25 PM. Reason: ,,
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F32018 View Post
    Sadly the BB worked for a while, like every other thing I have tried. We are at the point now of replacing the whole left hand assembly. At the last failure what I found was, pressing on the switch membrane would no longer cause any function at all. It makes me think that one of the contacts is disintegrating. I won't know for sure until the assembly is replaced and i can tear the membrane apart.

My thought now is that everything I have done to this point has been an illusion and the only thing that made a difference was every time we did something we caused a slight movement during reassembly allowing non deteriorated parts of the contacts to make contact.

Not sure when he is going to spend the bucks for a new assembly.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Sadly the BB worked for a while, like every other thing I have tried. We are at the point now of replacing the whole left hand assembly. At the last failure what I found was, pressing on the switch membrane would no longer cause any function at all. It makes me think that one of the contacts is disintegrating. I won't know for sure until the assembly is replaced and i can tear the membrane apart.

My thought now is that everything I have done to this point has been an illusion and the only thing that made a difference was every time we did something we caused a slight movement during reassembly allowing non deteriorated parts of the contacts to make contact.

Not sure when he is going to spend the bucks for a new assembly.
    So the BB on the paddle side only worked for a while? I'm thinking about a small metal cap over the stud on the membrane. About 0.02 inches in thickness. If you ever saw a primer for a shell or a percussion cap for muzzleloader, think that type of cap. Pics show placement. As soon as it stops the torrential rain here in VA, I'll get outside to try something. Any thoughts on this idea? I concur with the lead bb being too soft and that it may cause other issues if it flakes inside the switch assembly. It needs to be a hard metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-28-2023 at 01:22 AM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe you have it correct. I had the same problem with my start switch.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1641755

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=start+button

Finally ended up tapping into the appropriate wires outside of the RH switch assembly and connecting them to a push button which I installed where the OEM start button was located.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Left Hand Multifunction Switch Assembly, 710008090 working for an F3-T 2019?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2024 at 07:36 PM. Reason: ?
    2019 F3-t , Titanium

Spyder Garage

This failing shifting issue creates a major safety issue. People in the US should take the time to fill out a complaint on www.safercar.gov . Maybe we can get an extended warranty going for the issue.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

The flat wire is broken inside

Screenshot_20240313_213612_Messenger.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2024 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Why 2 posts within moments?? :-/
    2019 F3-t , Titanium