Spyder Garage

Default Any idea why I keep getting VSS Limp Mode & YRS fault?

I recently purchased a 22 Can Am Ryker Rally 900 and ever since I’ve taken delivery I constantly get the VSS fault. Dealer reset the YRS and steering sensor, but it keeps popping up every time I take it out for a ride. Any idea why? I don’t ride the brake.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2023 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum! I'm new to my bike too, there's lots to learn about these things. Is your battery in tip-top shape and are the connections clean and tight? An iffy battery and/or connections will give the electronics fits, I reckon. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Sounds like they need to adjust it and then reset after they adjust the sensor or either replace the sensor. Resetting is only a bandaid. Need to find out what is triggering it.
    David

Spyder Garage

From what I have been told, if you are on the gas and are using the brake at the same time (ie: trail braking into a turn) it will trigger a fault.
    Not the same as riding the brake.
    Hope you have good dealer who can figure it out.
    Problems with a new machine suck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2023 at 11:13 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I'm new to my bike too, there's lots to learn about these things. Is your battery in tip-top shape and are the connections clean and tight? An iffy battery and/or connections will give the electronics fits, I reckon. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the welcome! I upgraded my battery from stock to a lithium battery and it sits on a tender while parked. That was my first thought when it first happened, upgrade the battery and keep the connections tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Sounds like they need to adjust it and then reset after they adjust the sensor or either replace the sensor. Resetting is only a bandaid. Need to find out what is triggering it.
    David
    Thanks David! I agree with you, resetting the sensor is just a band aid on the real issue. It’s frustrating for sure.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2023 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts...

Spyder Garage

Ah trail braking is what I was try to say but couldn’t think of the proper term! I have caught myself doing that in the beginning but now I am more aware of my braking technique. Thanks for the advice.

Spyder Garage

Does anything about the bike feel different when the fault pops up? Twice now in mild left hand curves I've felt an odd sort of wobble in the rear end, I think. I've never noticed anything popping up on the dash, though. This has been since the BajaRon sway bar/end links upgrade, so it would lead me to think it's happening because I'm cornering more aggressively, but both times they've been easy open curves. When a fault pops up on the dash does it stay up, or just flash and disappear?

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

By chance do you ride on dirt roads or on roads with dirt on them and maybe spin the back tire in the turns a little? What are you doing when it pops a code?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

We had a chance to take a couple of days and ride some curvy roads this past weekend. The intermittent left hand curve rear end wobble can be disconcerting to say the least. I can't make rhyme or reason of it, and the bike has never flashed any lights or codes. Everything I've read about left had curve issues points to the yaw rate sensor. I talked with Daniel at BajaRon's yesterday, he says the computer should have noted the behavior regardless of throwing a code, so I have an appointment to take into their shop on Monday.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

I remember when I first got my 2019 Rally, I used ECO mode nearly all the time. That's when I had the rear wheel wobble. Now over the past 3+ years I use Sport Mode all the time. I haven't felt that wobble since. I never had a code pop up.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2023 at 07:29 PM. Reason: sense... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Sport mode, never even thought of that. I reckon I'm in regular mode, I've not changed anything and I don't see anything on the dash. Thank you canamryder, I'll look into it.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

We had a chance to take a couple of days and ride some curvy roads this past weekend. The intermittent left hand curve rear end wobble can be disconcerting to say the least. I can't make rhyme or reason of it, and the bike has never flashed any lights or codes. Everything I've read about left had curve issues points to the yaw rate sensor. I talked with Daniel at BajaRon's yesterday, he says the computer should have noted the behavior regardless of throwing a code, so I have an appointment to take into their shop on Monday.

Sarah
    Have your dealer take a look at this:
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81946-0001.pdf

It calls out a Ryker Steering Update Kit PN 219800513.

I've had stability control kick in on left turns way earlier than right; also never got any errors or codes. I installed this upgrade kit on my 2019 about 2 weeks ago, and the left bias appears to be gone. After installation, alignment is to be checked, and SAS and YAW sensors reset, which I have not had done. I will likely take it into my dealer for that soon.

Spyder Garage

Thank you DickB, I will be certain to mention that on Monday. It's always happened in mild left hand curves that weren't too upsetting, but most recently it happened in a faster tighter curve that caused a pucker moment. I'm hoping to get this sorted out ASAP.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

In my case I have a corner I drive back and forth from my home. 45mph speed limit with a 35 mph advisory sign. Stability would kick in at 40+ westbound left, nothing eastbound right on the same corner at 50.

I decided to bite the bullet and just ordered a BUDS. I do like to do my own maintenance when possible. I will be doing an alignment check and resetting sensors soon I hope.

Spyder Garage

Next time I visit family in Florida can I come look over your shoulder?

We've had rain all week, if it dries out I'll do as canamryder suggested, switch to Sport mode and take the bike back thru the pucker curve.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Sorry to be slow with an update, a bad storm came thru while we were over in TN visiting BajaRon and we just got power back last night. Daniel couldn't find a problem with any of the sensors, and nothing was stored in the computer. But it's possible there may be a problem with my drivetrain. Along with the typical clunk, my bike sometimes has a clatter the first several feet from a slow take off, forward and reverse. From what I've read some bikes tend to do this while others have the clunk and no clatter whatsoever. As the bike is still under warranty I'm to follow up with my dealer, I plan to give them a call today.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Picked up my bike from the dealer yesterday, long story short, the mechanic said they all do that to some degree under the right conditions. They made a note in the file in case a problem arises after the warranty expires. So I'm going to quit worrying and enjoy the bike. I'd considered an F3 and even posted a want ad, but after sitting on a couple and looking them over I feel like the Ryker is a much better fit for me. Hit 4,000 miles on the way home from the dealership.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to be slow with an update, a bad storm came thru while we were over in TN visiting BajaRon and we just got power back last night. Daniel couldn't find a problem with any of the sensors, and nothing was stored in the computer. But it's possible there may be a problem with my drivetrain. Along with the typical clunk, my bike sometimes has a clatter the first several feet from a slow take off, forward and reverse. From what I've read some bikes tend to do this while others have the clunk and no clatter whatsoever. As the bike is still under warranty I'm to follow up with my dealer, I plan to give them a call today.

Sarah
    If you were told they couldn't find anything in the computer, that's BS ..... long story short, a BRP Tech told me He found 249 OLD codes in my 2011 RSS concerning the Paddle-shifter, this covered almost a two year period. .... Everything that occurs to a Spyder gets logged into the computer - Period ..... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

No Mike, my bike has never thrown any codes, flashed dash lights or any such thing.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport