Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT seems better suited for seniors

I'm approaching 80 (next week) and have been riding for about 40 years. When I decided to go to 3 wheels I chose a new RT and have never regretted my choice. Yesterday while at the local Can Am dealer I was looking at the new bikes on the showroom floor. The Ryker looked like fun, but would not be my choice. But then I went to sit on a new F3 and found it was actually hard for me to get on this bike. My legs just don't bend and move like they used to. Once seated it wasn't bad but it appeared that it would feel a lot more crowded with a passenger than does my RT. This just made me more glad that I went with the RT to begin with and I'd guess that lots of older riders would agree with me. FWIW, the price on this new bike was also far higher than what I paid for my RT back in 2021. But I will admit that this bike looks damn good.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

We rode Goldwings for a bit back in the day and while they were very comfy they were pigs in the weight and handling departments. We then put lots of miles on sport touring machines and loved them. When we made the decision to go to three wheels we also chose the RT because it offered the comfort of the Wing and since we were on three wheels the weight and handing wasn't as big an issue for me anymore. As a side note I have the RT set up so it does handle quite well. It isn't a BMW or Triumph, but it does okay.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Careful who you are calling a senior!!

Just kidding, I have received my AARP invitation, but I'm not close to that yet. We chose the RT for it's touring capabilities that suit our style of trips. The F3 didn't fit what we wanted out of the ergonomics. I sat on a Ryker while my RT was getting the brake recall and service done, I could see that for an around town day rider. If I could ever get permission to have 2 in the stable.

I've not regretted my choice, same as you. I am looking forward to our 3,000 + mile PA trip, and riding out in the Black Hills for the Deadweeod rally. The RT can take the twisties just fine.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I made the switch to the '20 RT Ltd when my knees made it a coin flip as to whether I could hold up my 850# venture at a stop. My knees spent 29 years in Canada's Infantry, so there's not much left, and they don't like to bend.

Loving stretching out on the long floorboards. Lean back, relax, and enjoy miles of smiles.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Don't put me in the senior category if I gotta ride a big, heavy bike. I am 73 now. Rode sport bikes and dirt bikes most of my life. I rode Harleys for about 30 years, before I bought the Spyder, but never the over-weight, full dressers. I always owned the 1200 cc Sportsters, which were fairly fast, and light weight. The Sportsters handled a lot better and were faster than most of the full dress Harleys. Never owned a dresser, and never wanted one. When I bought a Spyder, it was the F3-S, lighter weight, and plenty of power. One of my legs is amputated at the knee, and the other one has a bad knee joint with steel pins in it, so it can't be replaced. I have no problem getting on and off of the F3-S. Have no problem with the seat size. If you are waiting for me to get old enough to buy a full dressed touring machine, keep on waiting. I probably did more touring on the 750 Sport Bikes and the Harley Sportsters than most people ever do on machines with saddle bags and a trunk. I been riding since about 1962 and have no plans to stop before they throw dirt on me.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I am a 74 year old relic have both an RTL and a F3S (different locations) and much prefer the F3 riding position and ergonomics. It’s the sitting in versus sitting on thing.

Having said that, I would probably pick the RTL for a long multi day tour, as despite trying a number of windshields, I am still getting pretty bad buffeting above 60 mph.

I’m contemplating getting the Monster ECU flash on the F3. It’s well suited to being a 3-wheeled bruiser cruiser.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-26-2023 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Palm Desert)
    Grey - dark edition

2015 Spyder F3 S (Vancouver)

2017 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer

Spyder Garage

My first Can Am purchase was a 2019 Ryker 900 ACE in 2020. It was a lot of fun but at the end of a long ride, when I got home I was beat. At sixty eight years old at the time, the Ryker tended to wear me out. Finally in 2021 I traded up to a 2018 RT Limited. It offered me a ton of features the Ryker didn’t, such as power steering, cruise control and a lot more comfort to name but three. Now I’m closing in on 71 summers, and while my joints are not as springy as they were 50 years ago, I have no regrets about my decision. In fact I’ll be heading to Deadwood in July, the first multi day and longest road trip I ever took on my Spyder. Looking forward to it.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I'm approaching 80 (next week) and have been riding for about 40 years. When I decided to go to 3 wheels I chose a new RT and have never regretted my choice. Yesterday while at the local Can Am dealer I was looking at the new bikes on the showroom floor. The Ryker looked like fun, but would not be my choice. But then I went to sit on a new F3 and found it was actually hard for me to get on this bike. My legs just don't bend and move like they used to. Once seated it wasn't bad but it appeared that it would feel a lot more crowded with a passenger than does my RT. This just made me more glad that I went with the RT to begin with and I'd guess that lots of older riders would agree with me. FWIW, the price on this new bike was also far higher than what I paid for my RT back in 2021. But I will admit that this bike looks damn good.
    I have had a similar "opposite" experience. I started with GS, then RS, then three RT's (2010, 2011, 2014). When F3 first came out I ran to my dealer and test sat one. I DID NOT like the seating accommodations or the ergonomic "feel" of the machine. I believe I made a comment that it looked like a Dodge truck from the front. That was my opinion from 2014 or so until 2020, when I bought my first F3.

In 2020, I wanted a new machine...my newest were 2014 and 2011. I checked with a well known area dealer. They were no budge when it came to pricing and quite mercenary on the trade in price. It was either look further or say good bye to Spyders. I decided to give iMotorsports a try. This of course meant no test drive and taking a gamble. Turns out I got a real good price on a leftover 2019 F3L in chrome. I went for the whole "tamale" this go around. With a $1000 plus rebate and a decent trade in on the 2011, we agreed on an out the door price that was satisfactory to both parties. The sale, delivery, and pick up of my trade went smooth as glass. It took me a couple rides to get used to the "quirks" of the F3L, but now I like it even more than the RTs which I owned previously. I am pushing 80 and don't feel like I am the least overpowered by the F3. I have made reference to it being the Jaguar version of the RT while the RT is the Gold Wing (couch) version. You sit IN the F3, not ON it.
    Liked it so much, that the next year, 2020, we traded off the 2014 on the new 2020 F3L (this time dark version) from iMoto. Still made a fair to me and them "out the door" price. We have tried to sell the 19 and the 20 this year, but so far no takers. Lookes like we will be riding another year, although my health issues are worse. No more overnights.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yep I reckon your right.

I too came off an 2009 Wing for my 2 up cruiser. Rode it for a decade or so.
    I did enjoy the pegs position, much like my T100 or DR650 to name a few.
    They all share the same inline foot position.

I guess if I decide to upgrade my F3 LTD I most probably be looking at an RT.
    But for now its fine. Huge F4 screen number 1 farkle.

I gotta say fitting that 3rd peg made a huge difference and much easier for getting off.

Do they do Pensioner Rates?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Not all of us are (as) old. I'm 51.

I went to the Spyder mainly because it was my only option without a clutch. Medically, I was unable to continue shifting my Harley, and I was forced to sell it.
    I was also unwilling to give up riding. I looked into the Goldwing F6B with the DCT, and I didn't like it.

I also looked at the F3 and the RT Spyders. I was just more comfortable on the RT. 2 years and 10K miles later I happy with my choice.

--Exco
    2021 RT-L only has a few cosmetic mods

Spyder Garage

Just popping into here. I JUST turned 38. I've been on two wheels since my 20s. But my choice to upgrade to an RT was 50% health reasons ( Clutch hand failing due to Psoriatic arthritis ) and 50% storage capacity.
    I previously rode cruisers, a couple scooters, and my last bike that was the trade in for my 2010 RT was a baby Harley Davidson, the Street 500.
    I wish I had gone for the RT sooner!
    There are benefits to agile two wheeled motorcycles, sure, but the Spyders and Rykers are far superior in experience. Having an easier time with luggage when going places, and being able to lock up my helmet and jacket inside a big trunk saves carrying stuff around.
    The big downside of course from the POV of a motorcyclist - no lane filtering. You're essentially a car, and you have to have a laid back riding style to suit it. Can't be in a rush on an RT. And I like that.
    2010 RT , Full Moon Silver

Spyder Garage

Me I'm considering going back to a Harley Road Glide the Can Am just does not suite my riding style, the final decision will be made after my 3K + road trip in July.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My facination with the spyder starting in 2013 and was making plans for one about 10 years later. But in 2014 I had an accident on my 2 wheeler and the wife wanted me to stop riding all together. The next week I ordered my 2014 RT SM6 and loved it. My biggest issue was the fact that 95% of more of my riding was solo and I did not like the non removable trunk. I later wanted something sportier and picked up a 2012 RSS SE5 to add to the stable. That made me fall in love with the semi auto trans. While getting my RT serviced, I decided to take a test ride on a 2016 F3T. As I looked at it, all I could think about was how ugly it looked in the front (like a lawn tractor). It also had the small frunk and small saddle bags. But then I started out on the test ride and couldn't stop smiling. I fell in love right away and decided to sell the RT and traded in the RSS through IMotorsports for a leftover 2016 F3T. Later I picked up the wife the identical bike for her. Then last year I came across a deal on a 2016 F3L special series and sold my F3T (3700 miles replacing 28,000 miles was a no brainer). When the 2020 RT came out, I fell in love with the looks and removable trunk. Last October I finally picked up a 2021 RTL and am in love again. For long rides, the RTL is definitely the best for me. But the 2016 F3L is super sporty and great for local or long rides.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

At 76 I'm glad I opted for the 2020RT 3 years ago. The F3 didn't cut it for me because I do a couple loooong trips per year and lots of 250+ mile days. The creature comforts of the RT are a clear winner. My RT is 'set up' for very spirited riding so the sportier F3 is not missed. Currently have 32000 miles and don't regret my choice.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

When I finally realised that I needed to get off the Harley ULTRA before I dropped it, I had two choices- stop riding or go to three wheels. Being a Harley guy their three wheeler just did not look that comfortable or stylish. I went for the 2020 RTL but could not get used to the "sitting on top" feeling or the poorly designed side compartment latching system. I traded for a 2022 F3L and love the "sitting in the bike" feeling and better designed side compartment latch system. Yes, a wee bit more to get on it than the RTL but the riding is more enjoyable. Do not miss the two-sided radiator design of the RTL either.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2023 at 07:03 PM. Reason: then... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I'm 76 and have same type of setup that you do. I have a RTL in Utah and last year got an F3L SS for California. I agree the F3 is a little harder to get on, but as much as I like my RT, I've grown to like the F3 a little better. I've only taken the F3 on a ride from Oceanside, CA to Las Vegas as my longest ride on it, but was very comfortable.
    2022 Spyder F3L Special Series, Red (Oceanside, CA)
    2018 Spyder RT Limited, Pearl White (SLC, Utah)

Spyder Garage

Last year I traded in my Moto Guzzi California and my BMW R1200R for a 2022 RT Limited. At 74 I wanted to get off of a heavier bike, the MG, and I my knees could't take the BMW riding position any more. I was questioning if I would like three wheels and I'm happy I made the trade. Also my wife is comfortable on the RT L. All that being said I still have my 2019 Triumph T100 Black. So I get the best of both worlds.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

( 70 years) In 2016 I sold my Harley because of back and leg problems. I saw a 2017 F3 November 2018 and bought it site unseen. I kept it for 2 years and decided to got to a Harley Freewheeler, (big mistake) Sold that after 6 months and bought my 2021 RT in Talladaga AL and drove it home to NJ. The power steering , semi automatic, 2 wheels in the front and stability sold me on a spyder.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

For all the folks who say that getting on an F3 is a bit difficult, I'd suggest they look at The Ultimate F3 Floorboards. I purchased a pair, and for for my 76 year old tall lanky body, it made getting aboard my F3L waaay easier even with my pillion already on board.

Spyder Garage

I have an 18 F3L and the wife and I just got back from a trip from Kansas to Nevada and back. Over 3K miles. I will say that even with an upgraded seat, I have wondered if an RT might be better and more comfortable with long rides.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I bought my Spyder 3 years ago at age 57. I did so because with my back the way it is, there's no way I can hold up a 900 lb bike anymore. Plus, the Spyder has a larger footprint than a 2 wheel bike so I am somewhat more visible. I was going to buy a Harley trike, but after seeing videos on how hard it is to handle, the decision to buy a Spyder was a no-brainer.
    Last edited by Quickdraw; 05-31-2023 at 05:59 AM.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

i am still plenty young enough for a 2 wheeler (and own a Honda CTX700) but I really like my Spyder the best. The reason I ride is for comfort, experience, and freedom. My RT Limited is my go to bike.

Spyder Garage

I may have the age prize won as I am 81 years old. I just switched from a very aggressive sport touring bike(Kawasaki Concour 1400) in January 2021 after being released from the hospital for Covid in December 2020. I lost so much leg strength from Covid hat I could not handle the top heavy sport bike that I loved so much. I have ridden sport touring bikes for 60 years. I bought a new to me 2019 RTL SM 6 in March 2021 and loved it until I was at the dealer who offered me a trade I could not refuse to get into a 2022 Sea to Sky which is my ride now. Loved the 2019 and absolutely would not go back to two wheels from the S2S. the 2019 was great the 2022 is fantastic. I sat on but did not ride an F3 because I did not like he feet forward set up of the F3. Seemed more like a cruiser than the RT. Just finished a 1400 mile 4 day ride in the hills of Arkansas and ready to go back again. Love the S2S.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

My wife and I are comparative youngsters at 57 and 67 respectively. But we both love our RTL, and for two-up riding there is nothing like it.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

On the F3, you can either install floorboards or use the passenger pegs to mount & dismount.