Spyder Garage

Default Need to replace my Sena - any reviews on Sena 50's?

Need to replace my old units. Does anyone have reviews on the Sena 50s?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-26-2023 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Call Motorcycle Dave, a site sponsor here. He can tell you everything Sena. Great prices as well.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

been using the 50s for a couple years now. Great product. Had some issues with volume on the mesh system, but the last update seems to have fixed it.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

I've been using SSena gear for close to 20 years. I'm done.
    Reviews and friend's experience tell me that when (if?) I next buy a headset it will be Cardo.
    My $.02, and worth every cent.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought a 50r from dave a couple of years ago and I am plenty happy with it.

But when it came time for my wife to ride we got a Sena SF1 from amazon as she didn't need mesh communication and came in at just over $100 and it has great audio on bt intercom and for music as well.

I think my next choice will have a camera integrated but I can't say if I would stay with Sena for that need. And now that I have some experience riding in groups most people don't want to talk over mesh so that will no longer be an important need on my next unit.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Always had CB's on all the bikes through the years.
    Bought the Spyder. Had read on this forum of many problems with CB's for the Spyder. Did not know about other communication devices. After some research, it came down to Cardo or Sena.
    Went to Cycle Gear store. Stood there and stood there trying to decide which brand.
    Finally chose the SENA 50S.
    Have not been just real happy with it although clarity and volume is very good when you CAN communicate with another bike. But stuck with it, so.... not sure Cardo would have been any better.
    Last edited by Pooch; 05-29-2023 at 02:21 PM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

The Sena SRL2 systems that came in our newly acquired Shoei Neotec 2 helmets are very clear with unobtrusive hardware like speakers and microphones. Sound is great. BUT: the control buttons on the left side of each helmet are quite difficult to get the feel for. We are always pushing something that wasn't what we wanted to activate! It gets pretty frustrating. We bought the 2 (like new) helmets with the Senas in them for only $300 each!! from a former Spyderlovers member. The helmets alone are $800 ea. and the Senas are $350 each. We're finally getting used to them, and glad we have them.
    Last edited by redrazor; 05-29-2023 at 02:30 PM. Reason: remove word
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is a review when it first came out, but remember there have been software updates so some things have gotten even better https://www.bing.com/search?q=sena+5...b5e1e4fe123716 I have the Sena impulse modular helmet with the 50 built in and like I like it works great, I had Sena 30K on my old helmet that was also very good.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

My riding buddy and I use the 50S on Bluetooth only and its great for two bikes. Have never had any use for the Mesh system. For our use I suspect the 20 or 30, both of which have Bluetooth and supposedly will pair with each other as well as the 50, would work just as well. All depends on what you want it to do. We've had ours for 2 years or so and they were a hugh step up from our previous 10's.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Our riding group (4-8) of us all use Sena 50 (some R some S). At first we struggled a little getting all the settings correct, but they have always worked very well. Some of us listen to music during a ride and others only use it for communication. I do both. We usually don't go more than 7-8 hours a day on a ride and have not had my battery die yet. A couple of the guys have gotten the low battery warning, but it didn't ever die. Wife and I had Cardo before and like the Sena much better.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .