Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone used Hippo Hands on their Spyder?

Has anyone used Hippo Hands on their Spyder? Even with heated grips my hands get cold, and I'm wearing good gloves. Or are there any alternatives that work?

Hippo Hands website said they require hand guards which we do not have on Spyders. I would like to ride in cooler weather. I use insulated base layer and Lined clothing with Insulated pants on and the only cold spot is my hands. Heated grips keep the palms of my hands warm but do nothing for the backs of my hands which are exposed to the wind.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2023 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by simonbbt View Post
    Has anyone used Hippo Hands on their Spyder? Even with heated grips my hands get cold, and I'm wearing good gloves. Or are their any alternatives that work. Hippo Hands website said they require hand guards which we do not have on Spyders. I would like to ride in cooler weather, I use insulated base layer and Lined clothing with Insulated pants on, the only cold spot is my hands. Heated grips keep the palms of my hands warm, but do nothing for the backs which are exposed to the wind.
    I see you also live in California, it rarely gets cold enough here for hippo hands except in the high mountains in winter, however
    You are right about heated grips they are worthless.... the best thing to keep your hands warm in any COLD weather
    is a good pair of HEATED GLOVES you can get them at your local Cycle Gear Store or on line at cyclegear.com

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone used Hippo Hands on their Spyder? Even with heated grips my hands get cold, and I'm wearing good gloves. Or are their any alternatives that work. Hippo Hands website said they require hand guards which we do not have on Spyders. I would like to ride in cooler weather, I use insulated base layer and Lined clothing with Insulated pants on, the only cold spot is my hands. Heated grips keep the palms of my hands warm, but do nothing for the backs which are exposed to the wind.
    I saved my "Hippo Hands" from my snowmobiling days and did use them on my Goldwing ..... I never used them on my Spyders because I no longer went riding in temps that needed them. .... Now they are attached to my Ski poles because they work great in really cold temps ..... if you ride in that kind of weather, try them ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2023 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RTL's heated grips almost burn my hands (with light gloves on) when on "Low". On "High" I have to turn them off after only 10 minutes!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The heated grips on my 14 RT are great! After they warm up on high I have to turn them onto low if I'm not wearing gloves because they can get a bit too warm.

Spyder Garage

The heated grips on my '21 RTL are great. However, as you say, it's the back and tips of the fingers that get so darn cold.
    I bought Gerbing Gyde S4 battery heated gloves. Really do like them.
    I did not want to fiddle with plugging/unplugging wires to a heated jacket/pants outfit or otherwise so thought I would try these gloves.
    When I took them out of the package, I thought the batteries seemed kind of heavy and would make the gloves awkward... nope... not at all.
    It's easy to push the heat setting tab up or down on one glove while wearing the other glove while riding.
    They are comfortable, seem to be very windproof, and the heating wires go all the way over the back of the fingers to the tip-ends.
    Starting off on cold mornings I have them on high, but it isn't long before I need to turn them down.
    I don't know how long the batteries would last if you left them on high all day, but I have never run out of heat on a 4-5 hour ride.
    Plus, since they are portable battery powered, I can wear them wherever I need to if my hands get chilly.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2023 at 06:48 PM. Reason: kindof... ;-)
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    My 2014 RTL's heated grips almost burn my hands (with light gloves on) when on "Low". On "High" I have to turn them off after only 10 minutes!
    Same thing on my ‘14 RTS. Also, I don’t notice the cold on the backs of my hands.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried to put them on and they wouldn’t go over the large grip clusters. I did modify a set to go over my last Goldwing by cutting a longer slot and using leather waxed thread to lace it closed. Don’t get on it much nowadays. Oh, and I live in N California, and I found them really nice. Almost got them stolen once.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The grips on my 14 RTS get warm enough on high, but the backs of my hands still get cold It's ok for my short commute, but I wouldn't ride distance with it.

Heated gloves are the only way to go for me.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

A good pair of insulated gloves does the job.

Spyder Garage

No I haven't used them on my Spyder as I no longer ride in weather that cold. However I don't see why you would need hand guards. Back in the 70's we sold them alot before heated gloves and bikes back then had no hand guards.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Yes,absolutely used them on our 2011 RTS. Used the hippo hands up front ,with heat on could use a less bulky glove. Used some ATV knockoff hippo hands over the heated passenger grips as well. Worked a treat as they say.
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve never investigated Hippo Hands, but thinking about them, wouldn’t they be the thing to use if you’re doing a trip where it is constant rain for 1,000 miles? Wouldn’t they keep your gloves dry?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I’ve never investigated Hippo Hands, but thinking about them, wouldn’t they be the thing to use if you’re doing a trip where it is constant rain for 1,000 miles? Wouldn’t they keep your gloves dry?
    Yes ... my Hippo hands are both wind & waterproof .....Mike