Spyder Garage

Default 2019 Ryker 900 rear shock won't tighten for 2-up riding - what new shocks?

Hi.. I want to ride 2 up from time to time and was thinking I need new shocks??
    I know nothing about this stuff ..
    My shock on it now.. we tried to tighten it (whatever one does to allow less bounce) but it is seized..
    So I figure I need new shocks..
    Can someone point me in the right direction… I’m in Canada
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2023 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

You just need the rear shock.

My '22 Sport came with a rear shock that used a beefy spring. You can easily pre-load that spring and then you also have a dampening change knob. Check and see what that shock is and get one. I near always ride two-up and have never had any issues.
    Last edited by Captainmal; 05-26-2023 at 09:30 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sometimes they are hard to adjust. Raise you back wheel off the ground a little. Spray the adjusted with WD40 or something like that. It still will be tuff to adjust. Not a good design on these shocks for adjustment. I took a big flat head screwdriver and a nice hammer to adjust mine. Good luck.
    David

Spyder Garage

I found that for two up on my rally, I needed a shock upgrade. Even with spring preloaded and shock set max , we just had two much sag and bounce. There are threads on here about rear fender damage, and yep had that. Went to Elka rear shock, custom set to our weight and ride style, not cheap but worth every penny. Riding two up after the upgrade was the way it should have been finally.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by strictlyred View Post
    Hi.. I want to ride 2 up from time to time and was thinking I need new shocks??
    I know nothing about this stuff ..
    My shock on it now.. we tried to tighten it (whatever one does to allow less bounce) but it is seized..
    So I figure I need new shocks..
    Can someone point me in the right direction… I’m in Canada
    You need to take the load off of the adjusting nut. Either by means of a clamp on your shock or lifting the back end of your Ryker up so there's not so much load on the spring.