Spyder Garage

Default How do you guys with multiple bikes handle Riding other bikes?

Great riding weather is here and the rest of my stable comes out - a '78 GL1000, a '76 RD400, and a '72 Triumph Trident that I just finished rescuing.

It's hard enough for this old brain to re-program for changing from the '21 RTL to the Japanese bikes, but changing to the British right-foot-shift, left-foot-brake has me spooked. Haven't ridden one since my first bike in the early '70s.

How do you guys with multiple bikes handle the change between steeds? Are you like used bike salesmen that can hop on anything and ride it like it is your daily ride?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2023 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I don't have much trouble going from my Spyder/Ryker to my M109R. But I used to have a 441 BSA, left brake, right shift. I was OK with that in normal situations. But in emergencies and quick maneuvers, I would just pull the clutch in, then mash down on both sides. That way I was sure to downshift and brake regardless. Never really got comfortable with that system.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Great riding weather is here and the rest of my stable comes out - a '78 GL1000, a '76 RD400, and a '72 Triumph Trident that I just finished rescuing.

It's hard enough for this old brain to re-program for changing from the '21 RTL to the Japanese bikes, but changing to the British right-foot-shift, left-foot-brake has me spooked. Haven't ridden one since my first bike in the early '70s.

How do you guys with multiple bikes handle the change between steeds? Are you like used bike salesmen that can hop on anything and ride it like it is your daily ride?
    I jump between my Spyder and a Victory Vision all the time. I've ridden other bikes as well. I guess your analogy must be close - I can hop on anything and ride it like it's my daily. That said, I do think that British bike would give me pause. I can't say as I've every seen a left foot brake, right foot shift bike. Wow!
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very will, no problem.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

No probs at all.

Muscle memory I guess.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I had no problems when I was driving two wheels in addition to the Spyder. I rode both enough that I did not have to re-learn items each time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brain resets within a few seconds. A career in earthmoving helps, hundreds of combinations of pedals, levers, do da's and whats that do's gives you a certain feel.Although I did once back the Spyder up and wondered why the gravel wasn't spilling out of the tray before I realised I hadn't hit the mode button.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Brain resets within a few seconds. A career in earthmoving helps, hundreds of combinations of pedals, levers, do da's and whats that do's gives you a certain feel.Although I did once back the Spyder up and wondered why the gravel wasn't spilling out of the tray before I realised I hadn't hit the mode button.
    Same here - years of riding/driving/flying anything &/or everything I could get my hands on tends to make the transition fairly quick & easy, altho I too occasionally make a momentary grab for a gear or diff splitter whatever that's not actually there on the particular machine I'm operating at the time!

Makes the Child Bride laugh every time; she's even worked out a list of times/conditions/places when/where I'm most likely to do that sorta thing.... and she's often right too!!

I'd better be careful, apparently I'm becoming quite predictable as I age...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My only problem is occasionally forgetting to ride closer to the center line when I'm on my sidecar rig. Of course my passengers remind me when they hit the shoulder or side of the road!
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Same here - years of riding/driving/flying anything &/or everything I could get my hands on tends to make the transition fairly quick & easy, altho I too occasionally make a momentary grab for a gear or diff splitter whatever that's not actually there on the particular machine I'm operating at the time!

Makes the Child Bride laugh every time; she's even worked out a list of times/conditions/places when/where I'm most likely to do that sorta thing.... and she's often right too!!

I'd better be careful, apparently I'm becoming quite predictable as I age...
    LOL.Yeah I've informed the cook when I start making reverse beep noises while spooning my porridge that it was the dog.
    Oh, hang on, meant to say it's time to hand in my licence.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

900C8F0A-2272-4870-929D-06194A1BA989.jpg 2006 Yamaha RoadStar 1700S & 2013 Spyder STL; thankfully no problems swapping either way at this point & try doing so regularly.
    Spyder has more frills: radio, GPS, heated grips, backrest, more cargo space - detachable saddlebags, & more lights, plus trailer hitch - so tends get used more. Bout 3 tanks then will swap, maybe even back track same routes just for different experience or pics of each bike at location/background.
    Spyder definitely more for trips, however both just about same mileages. (72k) Had RoadStar with job in way. Got Spyder after injury & early “retirement” Spyder has been to more states & 1 furthest point. Both use the same fully synthetic 10W-40 oil from Baja Ron that is helpful. As well as the Sena head set for Bluetooth music that the Star does not have. I could possibly use a suction cup mount for the GPS, just haven’t bothered. Do enjoy holding clutch & coasting or throttle bomb with the louder pipes on the Star. Have also rented the Star to a trusted bud so we could both go ride somewhere. Have almost synced their maintenance **almost** Guessing the biggest issue is insurance & tags. (Good to have a spare if & when)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-26-2023 at 02:25 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I do fine, BUT it took some time to reach this point. I had more trouble with the Spyder than my two wheeled toys, but the switching gets easier as you rack up some riding time even with the right foot shifting.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

No problems other than grabbing for the hand brake on the Spyder. But at least my foot is also going down at the same time.

Spyder Garage

No problems adapting to anything I want to drive or ride. It only takes a few minutes and everything falls in place. Drove just about every kind of trucks the company had, and operated 8 or 10 different kinds of heavy equipment, of various sizes and types. Rode everything from the old Honda Super 90s down to the F3-S. Only takes a few minutes for it to fall in place again. I could go back to operating a Cat loader with a 5 ton bucket just as easy as my own New Holland with the front loader.

Worst problem I ever had was getting used to a 5 Speed after riding 4 speeds for a couple of decades. Had to memorize the RPMs at 60 MPH to know if I had shifted into 5th gear or not. That was long before there was any digital gear indicators on the dash ........... long before there was even a dash. I kept forgetting to make the last shift to 5th gear. Took about a month before that became habit.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I wish I could shift my poor, old, slow V-Max as fast as the . Easy to switch between them.
    Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2023 at 03:24 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I just get on and ride. Doesn't matter what it is.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

I switch back and forth between my F3T and Street Glide without noticing much more than how much vibration I feel in the F3 handlebars (dang OEM tires... that's the last set I put on!).
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

I have no problem switching from my Spyder to my Triumph Rocket. Completely 2 different bikes but love them both. The Spyder is more my touring bike and the Rocket more my kick axx and take names.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only time I had that issue was when I first got the Spyder and tried to countersteer into a corner, and when it didn't turn I went for a handful of brake! But since then it takes the time I roll down the driveway to reset the old noggin.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I ride the Spyder thru the winter and for long distance trips. I ride an Aprilia Mana 850 in summer and for day-trips. I haven't noticed any loss of 'skills' switching between the two. I guess there's some truth in the statement, "Once you learn to ride a bike, you never forget."
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

When we first brought the Spyder home in Sept 2017, I found myself reaching for the clutch and brake levers as well as trying to put my feet down. Took a few months of riding both to get to a smoother transition.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't ride another motorcycle but I do ride an ATV. Find myself many times down shifting the electric shift Honda instead of up shifting. Up shift button is above the down shift button and the down shift button is in about the same spot as the Spyder shift paddle.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)