Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Please help me clarify my Belt tension concerns?

I know this has been covered a lot, but I have a few questions that I haven't seen an answer for. 2019 RTL with 2040 miles. Bought it private party. In great shape. Anyway, it has a slight whining noise when I shift gears up or down but mostly up. Doesn't bother me nor is it so loud that it drowns out the radio. I had a 2018 and did not hear this.

I have a slight vibration getting on the highway; again, not a huge deal but my 2018 had the same and a belt tensioner fixed it completely. So... I just added one tonight. Haven't driven it yet. I noticed that the belt is really tight by hand. No way I can get a 90 degree turn or even 45 by hand. It looks smack in the middle on the rear sprocket. Didn't look at the front pulley. There's no recall on my front sprocket and visually it looks fine, no red dust at all. I understand that I need to get the tension checked accurately and not by hand. I have a kriket on the way and plan on checking it with the wheels on the ground. Even if the kriket is not 100%, I'm sure it will be close enough so I can get an idea. I've read a lot about whining noises, front pulley recall, vibrations etc. Nothing as of now is bothering me, but I definitely want to make sure the tension is not set too high. Questions:

If the belt tension is too high, can I adjust that alone, and with the wheels on the ground? (And not loosening the side nuts)

Does the belt tensioner add a lot of additional tension to the belt?

Will simply lowering the tension affect the tracking? I don't want to mess with that because it seems perfect. At least from the rear sprocket.

I'm also assuming when people say right or left side, they mean if you are looking at the Spyder from the rear tire to the front not the opposite right?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-25-2023 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)