Spyder Garage

Default Is there any way to tell if DESS has been disabled?

Is there any way to tell if the DESS has been disabled? Just bought a 2014 and if it's not disabled I would like to get it disabled.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2023 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Have someone hook it up to BUDS or have your local locksmith make you a non chipped key, handy to have anyway and see if it will start.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Have someone hook it up to BUDS or have your local locksmith make you a non chipped key, handy to have anyway and see if it will start.
    Yes I tried getting a key cut localy but I will have to go to a locksmith I guess.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rideaway View Post
    Yes I tried getting a key cut localy but I will have to go to a locksmith I guess.
    Why didn't that work? Don't you folks in Canada have Ace Hardware stores? A locksmith is going to cost you way too much money.

Get yourself one of these Ilco X270 blanks

https://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Buell...SABEgKcFPD_BwE

Take it to the hardware store, with your ignition key, and ask them to cut it to match your ignition key. They'll need to use the hand cutter, not the programmable one. Since you supplied the blank, there may be no charge. Then see if that X270 key will start the bike, or if you get the key error.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Why didn't that work? Don't you folks in Canada have Ace Hardware stores? A locksmith is going to cost you way too much money.

Get yourself one of these Ilco X270 blanks

https://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Buell...SABEgKcFPD_BwE

Take it to the hardware store, with your ignition key, and ask them to cut it to match your ignition key. They'll need to use the hand cutter, not the programmable one. Since you supplied the blank, there may be no charge. Then see if that X270 key will start the bike, or if you get the key error.
    Yes I plan on trying another place in the big city, we live in a small town of less than 4000 so hoping in the city they will have more blanks, if not I can buy 2 blanks from amazon.ca for $20.