Spyder Garage

Default Do you think a Spyder is for me? Need some advice from the Spyder Pros

Quick Sanity Check: I’m about >this< close buying a Spyder RT but I want to make sure I’m thinking correctly.

Background: My wife and I are 60 and 61. Outside of me having two replacement hips, we’re in great shape and health. Our kids refer to us as “the cool grandparents.” We’ve been wanting to do “the motorcycle thing” since we met 20 years ago. She had her license, but I struggled. (It’s a long story and if you really want to know it, you can read this: https://www.ctx700forum.com/threads/...-ending.82515/)

This year, we bought a couple of bikes and were going to go for it. Picked a private instructor and everything. On the first ride after our first lesson, my wife dropped her Honda Rebel 250. Twice. (It wasn’t all her fault – our practice space is a parking lot that isn’t really flat. It's full of dips and hills.) But she came to the conclusion that the manual-shifting thing is over-rated.

FYI, I am a big man. 6’3”, 270, with long legs. Most of the bikes I’ve ever tried are too small. ALL of the “learner” bikes are too small. My aspirational bike is (was?) a Honda Gold Wing. Not because I expect to ride hundreds of miles at a time but because it's BIG enough for my large frame. (And no, Harleys NEVER appealed to me. Too loud, hot, and stereotypical.)

The same day my wife dropped her bike, I took her to see some scooters -- thinking that might be a good alternative. After looking at the scooters, she was lukewarm. But then she saw something DIFFERENT on the other side of the showroom – a Can Am Ryker. She took a test ride and was immediately sold. We’ll be buying her a Ryker Sport no matter what happens. That’s not why I’m writing here, tho.

I happened to see three RT Limited’s in a row: A Black one, a Blue one, and a Red one. I’m like, “whoa – this is really cool. And look at the size of those FLOORBOARDS! A home for my size 15’s!" I had to leave on a business trip the next day but we both spent the next 4 days crawling the internet for info on Can Ams. When I got home yesterday, we took a test ride on a RT S2S. I have been grinning like an idiot ever since.

I may be missing something, but this bike seems to provide everything I’m looking for. Size. Presence. Stability. Style, Ease of riding. And a whole lot more mental comfort. Confession: I rode my bike with my wife last week and while I didn’t drop it, I was more than a little nervous about what MIGHT happen. "It's heavy, what if I drop it? What if I hit a patch of gravel? What if there’s some oil on the road?"

When I rode the Spyder (we took turns as driver and passenger. That was wild because I've never ridden on the back of a bike before), there was none of that. I still had to watch for traffic and for distracted idiots but there was an absence of FEAR. I know that over time, the fear goes away but it was nice not to have to START with trepidation. I understand that the Can Am experience is different than the 2-wheel experience. No counter steering, no leaning into turns. But I’m not a biker so I don’t know about any of those things anyway. I don't have anything to "un-learn."

What I do know is that the Spyder will let me ride in comfort, style, and safety – enjoying the wind, the smells, and the road. And that is enough for me!

To the group: Am I missing something or am I thinking correctly?
    Last edited by iotanet; 06-08-2023 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question, +... ;-)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All thats left is pick the color you like. Make sure the wife tries the RT she may like that better than the Ryker because of the power steering and other features. Good Luck Shopping.

You got it Right!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You won't be sorry. You may have to try some other seats to give your legs more room, but the bike is highly customizable.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the perfect ride to me. It doesn't seem like you are going to have the 2-3 wheel hump that so many of us had to overcome. You still have to keep your head on your shoulders and watch, continuously, for the other guy. This becomes reflexive, after awhile. Never trust them to do anything sane. Don't assume anything. But this is true of any vehicle, when you come right down to it.

I got broadsided in a fire truck running code (not through a red light). They guy said he never saw me. His blood alcohol was .16. Don't suppose that had anything to do with it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you already made a decision
    I can't say that it's for you, but Can Am says everyone can ride
    The RT line is great just like the other products.
    A few things to consider is maintenance costs/time.
    No these aren't quite the same as 2 wheelers, but you're still experiencing the open road
    You might like it, you might not...I'm betting that you will and that smile will continue with more ride time and practice
    The only other thing I'd say, is that it sounds like you don't have a lot of riding experience. Spyders don't operate the same 2 wheel motorcycles. So, you may want to take a course.
    They're typically $100 or so. It won't give you full on road riding experience, but it will give you some more practice.

Enjoy and post pics when you get them
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

My wife and I are in your age category and mostly agree with you. Just one caveat: Make sure to get your "ducks in a row" about the maintenance your Spyder will require. Do you trust your dealer? Is he nearby? Will he forget your name after the sale? Will you do your own maintenance? Is there an independent motorcycle mechanic nearby who can help?

I'm not saying that any one of these options is better than any other. Just that you have a plan to deal with the inevitable repairs.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

It sounds like congratulations to both your and your wife are imminent. I’ve been back and forth between Spyder RT and 2 wheels since 2016 and am now on a Spyder Rt until my riding days come to an end.
    I’m not an overly cautious person but ****PLEASE take my advice on this 1 thing………..always ride with your high beam lights on during daylight riding. You’d be shocked at how much more visible you become.****
    As BajaRon said………there will always be someone who doesn’t see you coming……..watch for that person at all times.
    Enjoy you Spyder and Ryker.
    Sincerely
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do IT! You WILL NOT regret it! The Spyder RT is the safest motorcycle you can own. This Spyder Lovers Forum is here to help you out with any future questions, welcome to miles of smiles. .......Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Wow -- thanks for the kind words and advice! Here are a couple of things:

* We have already signed up for the Can Am riding class. $99 per person is a cheap price to pay.

* I see that finding a reputable dealer and maintenance shop is a "thing." Maybe its Minnesota motorcycle culture but there are 11 authorized dealers within 100 miles of my home. (There are 3 MEGA dealers within 30 minutes.) I hope this gives me good odds. I will say that I asked the dealer I expect to purchase from to tell me how many trained Can Am techs they have. He told me they have NINE.

* My wife drove the RT and loved it but in her mind's eye, she sees herself as "Cool Biker Chick," so the Ryker is her brand of bourbon. (FWIW, I see MYSELF as "Suave Urbane Gentleman." Not sure anybody ELSE sees that but that's another story.)

* I am accustomed to considering an aftermarket seat but what I found cool about the RT was that, due to the enormous floorboards, you can sit with your feet out in front, OR underneath you -- I thought that was neat.

* Check THIS out: As I mentioned, my wife is a "I'll ride my own, thank you very much" kinda gal. She's not one for riding on the back of anybody's bike. After our 40-minute jaunt on the RT however, we actually kicked around the idea of taking a weekend (or longer) trip on it. Maybe to the Minnesota North Shore. Thats how much we enjoyed the experience.

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to a website that discusses all the models.

https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/can-am/spyder/
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Annnnd you found your way here miles of smiles to come, not to mention FARKLES as well.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the Ryker Sport is already picked for her. So, now, for you. Since she’ll be on her own ride, may look into the F3 line. A little sportier than the R/T’s and can be had in many different configurations (S, L, T). Occasional 2-up trips should be do-able. They also have the U-Fit system, which can help with ergos (you’ll need #5!!!).

And, looking at the 2-wheeled side ... might check out the 2014 Honda CTX1300. It’s basically a 3/4-scale GoldWing. 1261cc V-4, full LED lighting, killer good looks, rock solid on the freeways even in the wake of semi trucks, and about 100lbs lighter than the ‘Wing. The deluxe model has ABS, self-cancelling turn signals, and BlueTooth stereo system. It’s what I came off of before the F3-S. The wife bought her F3-S while I was still enjoying my CTX, but the Spyder experience was sufficient enough to decide to get one myself. Figure the chances of us taking some extended trips were better with us both on Spyders. Haven’t regretted it yet ...
    Last edited by BCNewell; 06-08-2023 at 09:32 PM.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    Sounds like the Ryker Sport is already picked for her. So, now, for you. Since she’ll be on her own ride, may look into the F3 line. A little sportier than the R/T’s and can be had in many different configurations (S, L, T). They also have the U-Fit system, which can help with ergos (you’ll need #5!!!).
    Actually, I tried the F3 and had them extend the floorboards as far as they would go. No joy.

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    And, looking at the 2-wheeled side ... might check out the 2014 Honda CTX1300. It’s basically a 3/4-scale GoldWing. 1261cc V-4, full LED lighting, killer good looks, rock solid on the freeways even in the wake of semi trucks, and about 100lbs lighter than the ‘Wing. The deluxe model has ABS, self-cancelling turn signals, and BlueTooth stereo system...
    I hear you on the CTX -- I actually have a CTX700 DCT. What sold me on the RTL was threefold:

1) The size and road presence. It's a big vehicle that commands attention and space.
    2) The total absence of a clutch pedal -- no need to learn that particular dance.
    3) The knowledge that you can't drop it. That freed me up to enjoy the riding experience almost immediately.

Here's another thing about the Spyder that really works for the wife and I. We are people who tend to live life OUT LOUD and by our own rules.

Don't get me wrong, we're law-abiding citizens but we like to color outside the lines. The Can Am bikes are a total "outside the lines " kind of deal and we like that.

One of our mottoes is "Do your thing your way." The Spyder/Ryker fits that vibe perfectly.

Spyder Garage

Enjoy your choices … but ask yourself if you plan any long trips for the Ryker. IMO it will take a lot to get the Ryker touring comfy … as opposed to the RT which is touring ready by design.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyders

...Welcome and enjoy your Day. Remember the do your homework at the front.
    Take everything in and make sure that you make the best choices for you and your wife.

My wife and I have been doing little trips for the past few years. We have enjoyed our Spyder Ryde Times. I have been the passenger a few times and it was just wonderful. So we only need one Spyder for us.

Stay Healthy and Ryde Safe. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    Enjoy your choices … but ask yourself if you plan any long trips for the Ryker. IMO it will take a lot to get the Ryker touring comfy … as opposed to the RT which is touring ready by design.
    I think they may do just fine with the RT & Ryker for day trips. Then go 2-Up on the RT for longer excursions. I can see this working very well. But get good radios! It will make a world of difference in your enjoyment level. I carry Cardio units, if you are interested. But whatever you do. A radio set is highly recommended. Especially when riding separately.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your soon to be new toy's!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think they may do just fine with the RT & Ryker for day trips. Then go 2-Up on the RT for longer excursions. I can see this working very well. But get good radios! It will make a world of difference in your enjoyment level. I carry Cardio units, if you are interested. But whatever you do. A radio set is highly recommended. Especially when riding separately.
    You hit the nail on the head regarding our ride plans.

Regarding our comms, we each have the Sedici Sistema II Parlare Bluetooth Helmet. So far, they are nice units but like everything else, they’re probably subject to being upgraded as we discover our preferences.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have been riding together for near 50 years. She has never wanted her own bike so we travel two up. One thing about the Spyder is we have done several 600+ mile days and reached our destination feeling more relaxed on the Spyder than on two wheels. So, as you say. The knowledge that you can't drop it. That freed me up to enjoy the riding experience almost immediately. Is spot on, it's a more relaxing ride. As also stated you WILL have to be alert all the time. If an idiot will hit a fire truck or even a freight train for Pete's sake! they will hit you for sure. Maintenance on these machines shouldn't scare you away. They really don't require that much, no more than any other vehicle I have owned and if you are handy with a wrench you can do 99% of it yourself. I have 45,000 miles on my Spyder and it has been to the dealer twice. Once for the initial check up and last February for the pulley recall. I change oil, I change tires, even installing a new belt after mine was damaged wasn't difficult. If you don't care to do your own thing then I agree with those who say find someone that you can trust. Ride more, worry less.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Until 2020 I rode a 850# Yamaha Venture, but my knees had spent 29 years in the infantry. Got to the point that stopping the Venture was a coin flip whether I could keep it upright. I still enjoy occasionally scooting around on an old VSTAR 650 (nice and light), but my '20 RTL is amazing. The sheer comfort of the thing coupled with not having to hold it up is MAGICAL.

The RTL is like riding a couch down the highway. Distance, and time in the saddle, doesn't matter. Lean back, relax, enjoy the miles (and miles, and miles)

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    Until 2020 I rode a 850# Yamaha Venture, but my knees had spent 29 years in the infantry. Got to the point that stopping the Venture was a coin flip whether I could keep it upright. I still enjoy occasionally scooting around on an old VSTAR 650 (nice and light), but my '20 RTL is amazing. The sheer comfort of the thing coupled with not having to hold it up is MAGICAL.

The RTL is like riding a couch down the highway. Distance, and time in the saddle, doesn't matter. Lean back, relax, enjoy the miles (and miles, and miles)
    Love it!

I see your photo and its looks like you are running the same play that my wife and I have called, namely the His & Hers Spyder & Ryker combo. I'm curious to know how that plays out for the two of you -- what is your actual use case for the two bikes and how often do you both ride what?

As an aside, I see you with the Lensmen "Britannia" reference. I read those long ago, but I'm really a "Starship Troopers" kinda guy. I re-read that one every year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iotanet View Post
    Love it!

I see your photo and its looks like you are running the same play that my wife and I have called, namely the His & Hers Spyder & Ryker combo. I'm curious to know how that plays out for the two of you -- what is your actual use case for the two bikes and how often do you both ride what?

As an aside, I see you with the Lensmen "Britannia" reference. I read those long ago, but I'm really a "Starship Troopers" kinda guy. I re-read that one every year.
    I ride whenever weather permits, from spring melt to first snow. I tell my family it's because taking the Spyder leaves another car home for them to use. It's more that any excuse for a ride is the perfect excuse for a ride. My wife is an occasional rider, very weather dependent. Gives us an activity to share. coffee (tea) runs, local area touring, occasional weekend trips.

Neither of us are anything that could be considered small. We can ride 2-up on the RTL if i take the rider backrest out, but its not as comfortable, so she has her own. When we travel there's not quite enough storage for everything she thinks we need to bring, so I tow a 4'x4' trailer. I'm at 20000km after 3 seasons, she's at 4000.

Planning a cross-continent round trip, 4600km each way, Westward through Canada, returning through northern US. Just as soon as I can figure out how to take a month off work. Intending 500km/day with slack in the schedule for local points of interest, or weather delays.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray