Spyder Garage

Default New Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited Owner/Rider Looking for Maintenance Advice.

Hi All,

I am getting my new to me 2019 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited in for service next week and would like to know what you all recommend be done and what not to waste money on.

I just got my Spyder a couple weeks back and I did check everything I could to make sure it was ready for the road. As it is a 2019 and only had 696 miles on it when I purchased it, I know it had to sit for long periods of time. It was kept in a garage, and they did have the oil changed even when they were not riding it, but still I know it needs a good service.

I called my local authorized Can-Am, RideNow Powersports, the same shop I used to take my motorcycle to in the past and asked for their prices for service.
    The guy I was speaking with said he was new and needed to ask someone for help but what he first told me shocked me. He told me they could do a 1000-mile service and that just includes and oil change, what shocked me is the price he quoted.

He said it would be about $40 for an oil change, now I know this did not sound right. Just the kit for an oil change cost almost $150 on Amazon so I assumed he was wrong, but I sure wanted to book my next 10 oil changes for that price. He then said they could do a 2000-mile service and that would be about $180. This service is more involved and is what I feel I need for my Spyder.

Once he went and asked the cost went up. He was not adding all the cost and the actual cost are $180 for an oil/filter change and $360 for the 2000 mile service.

Are there any other services I may need (remember it has just over 800 miles on it now)?

Are there any services they may try to sell me I don't need?

And how do the prices seem ($180, oil/filter change) ($360, 2000 mile service, the manual call it a 3000 mile service)?

Thank you,
    James

Spyder Garage

Recommend you check your owners manual. The service guy there does not know what he is talking about. They sense they have a "live one" here.

You have a 1330 engine. Recommended FIRST service is an oil change and checkover at 3,000 miles. You don't need 600, 1000., 2000, etc. THEN next service is 9,500 miles later OR once a year whichever comes sooner.

With the oil change/filter should come a simple checkover. The usual cost across the board is around $300. Usually no major items need servicing until 28,000 miles or so. That is usually three years or more for the average rider. Any add on's they try to sell you is money in THEIR pocket.

on your new machine.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-25-2023 at 06:28 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Skip everything that dealer is saying, read the owners manual. (Download it if you don't have the printed one). Worst case scenario is to get a new battery. Yours is old enough now.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Skip everything that dealer is saying, read the owners manual. (Download it if you don't have the printed one). Worst case scenario is to get a new battery. Yours is old enough now.
    ... Unless the previous owner EXTENDED the BEST warranty, I would only change the oil, unless the Spyder doesn't appear to be working 100% ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm going to be a voice of dissent here. First, the 1330 motor has a "First Inspection" and Oil Change at 3k miles (check the Service Interval in your Owners Manual - linked here in case you don't have one).

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...p/619011EN.pdf

HOWEVER, oil is also recommended by the book to be changed every year - so even though it is under the 3k miles - I'd go ahead and have it changed.

Now, if you are going by the book - the Brake Fluid should be replaced every 2 years. Your bike is now 4 years old. Even though it has crazy low miles - that still makes the fluid 4 years old. Do you know how the bike was stored all its life? Your profile suggests you are in Arizona - it can get nice and toasty in Arizona. Extreme heat can cause issues with old Brake Fluid. It's not just miles/usage that breaks down the fluid but time can as well - which is why the book says every 2 years. Quite possible - your fluid is just fine and will give you zero issues - also slightly possible it's not.

Consider your tires - also 4 years old - and back to the question - how has the bike been stored? Check them over well for dry rot.

Last - Verify the level of your Antifreeze. It won't need replaced - but I've seen Spyders weep antifreeze at the hose ends when they are subjected to major temperature swings - and over time will lower the level.

Many people get worried about Spyders with what they perceive is high mileage - Me, I'm going to be just as cautious if not more on one that has been sitting for the majority of it's life - especially if I don't know the circumstances in which it was sitting.

Just my 2 cents...
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your replies.

I have read my manual and on page 117 it calls for a 3000 mile "First Inspection" as Joshua mentioned above.

I know my Spyder doesn't have anywhere near 3000 miles on it, but it is a 2019 that had under 700 miles on it. That means it has been sitting in the Arizona heat for years basically rotting.

I want to ensure everything is ok and working well. This 3000-mile service seems to be exactly the service I need. I do not feel like $360 is a bad price for that service compared to what I use to pay for my motorcycle services.

Thanks,
    James

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JamesLaz View Post
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have read my manual and on page 117 it calls for a 3000 mile "First Inspection" as Joshua mentioned above.

I know my Spyder doesn't have anywhere near 3000 miles on it, but it is a 2019 that had under 700 miles on it. That means it has been sitting in the Arizona heat for years basically rotting.

I want to ensure everything is ok and working well. This 3000-mile service seems to be exactly the service I need. I do not feel like $360 is a bad price for that service compared to what I use to pay for my motorcycle services.

Thanks,
    James
    You are right on with your decision. And the ONCE a year, regardless is a good idea. Please forgive my typo in the 3,500 mile "first service" suggestion. 3,000 is the correct suggested number. I did use the "weasel words" about checking the owners manual.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-25-2023 at 06:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

James, if it is running good and nothing jumps out at you, just change the oil and filter and ride on without worry. Do your own inspection check on the tires with the same common sense that you use on your car. Enjoy............

PS: Bajaron on this forum has good service on oil and fiilter and do it yourself and save a bunch of money. It ain't rocket science.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 05-26-2023 at 06:02 AM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation I'm with Jdr00ejr

I'm with jdr00ejr

James -- maintenance actions to prepare your 4-year old "new" F3L for summer rides:

Necessary: change engine/transmission oil, engine filter, HCM filter, engine coolant, brake fluid, battery (Spyders act weird with weak batteries)

Desireable: change Kenda tires to car tires (better handling), incandescent headlight bulbs to LEDs (better lighting), fuel filter (just in case)

Depending on labor rates, the cost of these actions will be about $800 to $1,500.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2019 F3 Limited with 2950 miles on it ... I did the 3000 mile service (myself) and flushed the brake lines. Also check drive belt adjustment and lots of other stuff. Did I really need to? Probably not, but the brake fluid was a given as the stuff tends to stale over 2 years.
    Current Ride: 2019 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited - Cool Change.

Past Rides:

2014 HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl
    2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Jessica
    2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Helga
    2014 HD Ultra Limited - Harley Quinn
    2008 Honda Gold Wing GL 1800 Trike w/Champion Conversion - Fat Bottom Girl 2
    2001 Honda Gold Wing GL1800 - Tweety
    2015 HD Triglide - Fat Bottom Girl
    2011 HD Ultra - Raven
    2006 K1200LT - Vianca
    2007 HD Ultra
    2006 HD Ultra
    2004 Honda Goldwing
    2001 Honda Goldwing
    1996 Honda Goldwing
    2000 Honda Aero
    1985 Honda V65 Magnum
    1992 HD Softtail