Spyder Garage

Default What are your thoughts on a Front wheel drive Spyder?

I was cruising this past weekend on my Spyder, letting my mind wander a bit, and thought about our drivetrain. Right now we use a looooong belt to drive the rear tire . There has been a lot of discussion about a shaft drive but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning a front wheel drive setup. Our Spyders are about as wide as a Mitsubishi Mirage (which costs half of what our Spyders cost). The Mirages have front wheel drive. Would front wheel drive simplify things a bit and allow for better cornering and maybe even fuel economy? Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    I was cruising this past weekend on my Spyder, letting my mind wander a bit, and thought about our drivetrain. Right now we use a looooong belt to drive the rear tire . There has been a lot of discussion about a shaft drive but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning a front wheel drive setup. Our Spyders are about as wide as a Mitsubishi Mirage (which costs half of what our Spyders cost). The Mirages have front wheel drive. Would front wheel drive simplify things a bit and allow for better cornering and maybe even fuel economy? Thoughts?
    The primary problem with FWD is it makes the steering "heavier" when the wheels are being "driven"... In a small package like our Spyders it would be a very noticeable thing and detrimental to how it handles... Plus the boost needed from the DPS would be well beyond what it can do without getting into ramping it up which means a larger motor and alternator output etc etc. CV joints negate much of this but I don't see it working out very well...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    I can picture what that would look like ..... cut the front ( ahead of the front door ) and add a single rear wheel ( so it remains a trike ) it would look similar to a .....SLINGSHOT .... JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Hit the anchors and reverse simultaneously, sorry more mind wanders.................
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Elio

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your FWD solution is available https://vanderhallusa.com/venice-2023/
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree on the Vanderhall, they are fantastic, much preferred over the Slingshot.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Agree on the Vanderhall, they are fantastic, much preferred over the Slingshot.
    Have you priced one lately ?

Spyder Garage

A simple answer...Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I would be very suprised if BRP would consider such a thing. Lot's of discretionary money would have to be dumped on that one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Have you priced one lately ?
    At dealer Monday, to pick up some summer-weight safety driving jackets for me and the Mrs. [She wanted to be "match-alikes. LOL]

The had two: $39,000 + all the dealer crap thrown on top. Likely 45k out the door.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What has completely blown me away is, while at the local Polaris Dealer, Side by sides and ATV's, One of their models retails for $45K, plus all the fees. They sold one the other day...........
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Have you ridden in a Vanderhall? I found it awkward to get in and out of a very cramped seating.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink Liberal arts school

I mentioned this FWD proposal to my SCTA roadster friend yesterday. His response was "Guess he went to a liberal arts school."

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got a chance to sat in a Vanderhall about 4 years ago. It took the owner about 10 minutes to get me out of it. I am just too large for this vehicle (6'-2", 260 lbs). The owner could not say enough about how great it was and how it handled. As far as pricing, it was at the top of the food chain for 3 wheelers. But like anything, if you stay prepared and ready, a deal is out there. I came across a 2021 with under 2,000 miles for $19k earlier this year. The owner was an older gentleman who just wanted to get out of it. Also found a 2021 Slingshot S auto for $16k, and a 2020 spyder RTL for $18.5k. It all is a matter of being ready to jump when you come across the right deal.
    As for the Vanderhall, I compared it to getting in and out of a bathtub with the lower half covered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

So as I was saying about a front wheel drive Spyder: A Mirage by Mitsubishi is a very light weight vehicle with a shell and 5 seats. And the motor is about the same size as our Spyders. So I don't think the weight of front wheel drive would be too much of a deal breaker, and it would simplify the rear wheel and pulley system as a positive.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-26-2023 at 07:47 PM. Reason: light way... + ;-)

Spyder Garage

My only thought on a front wheel drive Spyder, would be, "WHY?"
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Can anyone remember Morgan's.
    In the 60's another guy tore down a Mini and raced it in the open sidecar class.

Spyder Garage

IMHO, FWD would help with traction, especially riding 2-track with grass/hump in the center (don't ask!). I don't like the heavy steering of FWD but it's likely a safer option over a single RWD.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2023 at 10:49 AM. Reason: singer... ;-)
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start with this Car and Driver review: https://www.caranddriver.com/mitsubishi/mirage
    While its small three-cylinder engine excels at fuel efficiency, we found it nearly absent of power, buzzingly unrefined, and painfully poky.
    If those were the features Spyder riders wanted, they would have saved money buying a Mirage.

Motorcycles have chain drives because they are the most efficient and inexpensive means to transfer power from the transmission to the rear wheel. Shaft drives were introduced because owners were tired of lubricating and adjusting chains and could afford the additional weight and efficiency loss.

The Spyder is a 3-wheel motorcycle in the Sports-Touring category. Modern technology enabled BRP to use a toothed belt which eliminated chain drive care and was even more efficient while also providing easy steering effort and front suspension compliance at road speeds. BRP's power transfer design choice is superior to all others for their targeted buyer price and performance preferences.

I could continue this tutorial for many pages but instead remind you internet search is your friend.