Spyder Garage

Default 2020+ Arm Rest observation - there's a flat spot for a Ram Ball mount!

Not sure if anyone else that has the newest version of the OEM RT Arm Rests, but on the underside of each arm rest in the front there is a flat spot that is clearly set up to mount a Ram Ball Square Base to the arm rest to add any kind of Ram Mounted option you want. I mounted bases to both of my arm rests this past weekend and am waiting to find out what the wife wants mounted to them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2023 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

This? It hasn't always been there? Do you know what thread/screw size?

armrest_ballmount.jpg

Spyder Garage

Break out the tap and die set and check it out.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Not sure if anyone else that has the newest version of the OEM RT Arm Rests, but on the underside of each arm rest in the front there is a flat spot that is clearly set up to mount a Ram Ball Square Base to the arm rest to add any kind of Ram Mounted option you want. I mounted bases to both of my arm rests this past weekend and am waiting to find out what the wife wants mounted to them.
    Can you post a pic of what you have done? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

The holes aren't threaded - it's a composite material underneath the rubbery cover. So use some 3/4-1" coarse thread stainless screws that fit through the ram mount holes...I just pulled some from the loose screw jar so not sure on exact size.

drink1.jpg

drink2.jpg

phone1.jpg

phone2.jpg

phone3.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2023 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pics javajaws. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by javajaws View Post
    The holes aren't threaded - it's a composite material underneath the rubbery cover. So use some 3/4-1" coarse thread stainless screws that fit through the ram mount holes...I just pulled some from the loose screw jar so not sure on exact size.
    I'm pretty sure that you mean 1/4" x 1" bolts/screws. 3/4" is a bit overkill.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you mean 1/4" x 1" bolts/screws. 3/4" is a bit overkill.
    3/4" to 1" LONG - not 1/4 x 1". 1/4" thick screw would be too large I think. These would be closer to something like #6-8 maybe?
    Last edited by javajaws; 05-24-2023 at 05:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing, that is so cool to know. I will likely add both a phone mount and a drink mount. Does either materially obstruct your rear view mirror vision? I would recommend adding Ram Mount's security feature so someone cannot just unscrew and steal $50+ of accessory hardware. It replaces the thumb lever with a wheel lug nut style nut that requires a special tool to loosen or tighten. I keep that tool secured in one of my trunks.

Spyder Garage

I haven't noticed anything with mirror interference - but I just installed them yesterday. Thanks for the tip about the security option for the arms.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by javajaws View Post
    3/4" to 1" LONG - not 1/4 x 1". 1/4" thick screw would be too large I think. These would be closer to something like #6-8 maybe?
    When purchasing screws/ bolts it is normally listed by size 1st followed by thread pitch then the length. As you had already stated that they were course threaded then I just assumed that this was what you meant. I agree that it is probably a #6, 8 or 10 screw also.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 05-25-2023 at 09:55 AM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I could not determine if there was a threaded insert in the arm rests so I used some coarse thread tap screws I had left over from a previous installation that I do not remember where they came from. They threaded right in and tightened down with no issue. I mounted the wife's cup holder on one side and a tacform phone mount on the other side.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Who sells that drink holder?

Spyder Garage

That's from RAM

Spyder Garage

RAM Mounts RAP-B-417BU Level Cup XL 32oz Drink Holder with Ball with B Size 1" Ball