Spyder Garage

Default New Corbin Custom Seat

Last Week I did a Ride in at Corbin in Hollister to have a custom seat made. I think this is the seat that should of been on it stock. (I told that to Mike Corbin, and he said that if that was so he would be out of business). I am 6'2" and the stock seat was a bit low for me. At Corbin I had a bit added to the seat height and it made a world of a difference. First off, they encourage you to walk through the factory and look around. From the fiberglass shop (seat pan creation, molding (foam on the seat pan), shaping, material and sewing, embroidering, assembly (where they put the cover on your seat), and electrical (wiring heated option of the seat). You can stand right beside and watch every step of the process of your seat being made (I took LOTS of pictures). After they get it to a basic shape, they put it on your bike, and you take for a test run. When you come back you tell them what needs to be addressed. You do that as many times as it takes to get you seat perfect for you. My wife had a touch of memory foam added to the passenger seat, and since I had the front raised the area under my legs need a bit of shaving/shaping. You select the material and stitching you want, then I had some embroidery added to customize the look and it turned out great.

I can't praise them enough. It was a great experience, but a full day. We arrived at Corbin at 8 am (one of the first ones in) and were the last ones out at 4:30 pm. They had 5 other riders in getting seat work done. Most were adjustments of seats they'd already purchased. They tell you to ride it for at least 500 miles then if there are any adjustments you need made, come back, and they will make them at no extra charge. I mentioned earlier that I talked to Mike Corbin. He is very friendly and roams around the shop talking to all the customers getting their seats made or worked on.

I would encourage anyone looking for a custom seat to look into Corbin. But I also recommend going in and having it made. The down-side to that is they only have 2 showrooms. One in California (Hollister) and one in Florida (Ormond Beach). If you do have to do it as an internet order, be very specific on what you want.

20230601_103849.jpg 20230601_103855.jpg 20230601_111613a.jpg

20230601_111613b.jpg 20230601_155435.jpg 20230601_162303.jpg

20230601_162315.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2023 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display - hopefully! ;-/
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Great Seat but ...

That's a great seat! I don't have my RT yet but an aftermarket set is definitely on my mind.

One question, tho: On a stock RT, doesn't the driver's seat move (to fill the gas tank) while the passenger portion stays stationary?

Yours looks like one piece -- how does that work? Does the whole thing move when you fill up?

EDIT: It looks like they put a little door there to fill the gas tank. Am I seeing that correctly?
    Last edited by iotanet; 06-08-2023 at 05:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iotanet View Post
    That's a great seat! I don't have my RT yet but an aftermarket set is definitely on my mind.

One question, tho: On a stock RT, doesn't the driver's seat move (to fill the gas tank) while the passenger portion stays stationary?

Yours looks like one piece -- how does that work? Does the whole thing move when you fill up?

EDIT: It looks like they put a little door there to fill the gas tank. Am I seeing that correctly?
    The Two-part OEM Rider/Pillion seats only came into being when the new style 'shape changed' RT arrived in 2020; until then, from the very beginning of all Spyders in 2007 and the RT in 2010, right up until the style change mentioned above, all GS. RS, RSS, ST, & RT's had one-piece seats that carried both the rider & pillion on the same seat pan, which meant you hafta unload the seat fully every time in order to raise it to fill up with gas!

And yes, the Corbin seats had a fuel-door OPTION from their early days too, but it's not necessarily there on ALL Corbin seats for Spyders, altho it is a popularly chosen option due to the one-piece Seats!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-09-2023 at 01:50 AM. Reason: yime... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well, I think it's a great seat -- especially with the extra height. Well played, sir!!!

Spyder Garage

Just got mine yesterday and will be putting it on the spydie tomorrow.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iotanet View Post

Yes there is a door over the gas cap. Very easy to open and fill up. No more fiddling with the ignition key and having to raise the seat. And as a bonus you can still use the factory backrest. Most Corbin seats require you to purchase one of theirs.

Spyder Garage

Curious, what is the make/model of that orange and black enclosed trike in front of the Corbin building?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HagermanSpyder View Post
    Curious, what is the make/model of that orange and black enclosed trike in front of the Corbin building?
    Good question. I have no idea. It may be something totally custom they made or maybe something European. . They have another one sitting in their R&D area.

20230601_102321.jpg 20230601_102259.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2023 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Here's a couple of pics of the new seat. Was going to take a ride but it's pouring.

20230610_134047.jpg

20230610_134102.jpg
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue