Spyder Garage

Default Off to Austria for a BRP event - BRP Grosglockner Challenege 2023!

Hi all !
    Leaving Norway by ferry to Denmark on the 27th.
    First stop is close to the German border for a stayover, then off to Hamburg next day for the autozug (auto train) leaving for Munich. From there it is about a four hour drive to the event in Austria.
    I put a link to the event and I hope to be back after with pictures and maybe some videos.

Have a great summer all and ride safely !

https://www.brp-world.com/int/en/brp...Challenge.html
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

I wish I could join you. Have fun and be safe !

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

This looks awesome! Please post some pics when you return.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    I wish I could join you. Have fun and be safe !
    Thank you Seaweed.
    I will do my best to have lots of fun and ride safely.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    This looks awesome! Please post some pics when you return.
    I will take lots of pictures for sure and get back to you all
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Back from the Austrian BRP Grosglockner Challenge!
    Hi friends!

Came back from Austria early Tuesday morning 00:30 am and am I glad to be back and out of the saddle for a while!
    The trip was fantastic.

Wife and I left Norway by ferry on the 28th of May and after a few hrs on the ocean we landed in Hirtshals, Denmark. Rolled off the ferry and drove close to the German border where we had booked the first hotel in "Holstrup"

Next day was nice and slow. We had till the evening to get to Hamburg Altona where we had booked a ride on the Autozug to Munich. So a lil bit of sightseeing and then to the train station. Got the Spyder onboard the train and went to the sleeping cabin for some shuteye.

At 07:30 am next day we entered Munich East Station and got the Spyder back on the road again.
    From Munich we had about a 4 hr drive to the hotel we had booked in "Gmunden" Austria. Scenic little town placed by a wonderfull lake, well worth a visit on it's own. As we had a cpl of days to relax before the BRP event started, we did some sight-seeing and tested out a few of the nearby restaurants. Germans do know how to make a good beer, that's for sure.

On the 1st of June we got to the event tent and got registered for the event. We got a welcome package containing a nice shirt with prints of the event and some various pr articles. There was said to be 350 Spyders/Rykers for this event, people from all over Europe, and one person from the USA, so it was a great mix of people. First day ended with bbq dinner in the event tent and then back to the hotel for some sleep.

Day 2
    The days ride took us from the event tent through scenic landscape and to the city of Linz where the Rotax factory is located.
    A great number of people went to the factory, but wife and I went to the Rotax Max dome instead. The Max dome has a indoor gocart circuit and the BRP had reserved it for all of us the whole day. After that we headed back to our hotel to relax a bit before the evening dinner in the event tent.

Day 3
    Got up early. Today is the Grosglockner challenge and it will last the whole day, 130 miles one way and then the return back.
    There was no set route to follow, it was up to each and one to find the way up there, so there was CanAms all over One had till 1 pm to get there for the picture taking of all the CanAms on the "Franz Josef plateu", so we could hold a nice calm pace through the fantastic landscape.
    When all that was done, we set course for the hotel again and I must admit my hiney was happy to get off the Spyder again.
    We had a lil rain on the way back and that was the only rain we had the whole time, it was really nice weather, but a bit too warm.
    The evening in the event tent was great, they had hired a band who did Beatles tunes and they really livened the place up.
    Main prize on the lottery went to a German guy, he won a year's free use of the latest model Sea to Sky Spyder RT and he was really happy. Wife and I left early cause we were really tired after a long day on the road, so we said bye to the crowd and got to our hotel again.

The event is over, and we checked out of our hotel the 4th of June and started the long way home to Norway.
    This time we drove all the way back on the Spyder, no train this time.
    Finding places to spend the night was fairly easy as the vacation season has not started yet.
    Being retired and with no time schedule, we took 8 days to get back home, and we really enjoyed the calm pace.

The only thing I had to do to the Spyder RT on this trip was to change a light bulb. It used some oil, but not too much, and I had to top off the cooling water tank once.

Yesterday I took the Spyder to visit a friend and the compressor gave in again, so now it is the garage, stripped of tupperware and going nowhere for a while!
    Just glad it waited to happen 'til after I got back home.

I made a movie from the trip on my Youtube channel, so if you want to see it just hit "play"

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2023 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Replaced video link with revised link...
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Well done. Thank You!
    I remember the Grosglockner. Unfortunately I was driving on four wheels, not three or two.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Well done. Thank You!
    I remember the Grosglockner. Unfortunately I was driving on four wheels, not three or two.
    Thank you and my pleasure Columbia.
    You still had the same amazing view I'm sure.
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Wow! Sounds like you had a great trip. That's a lot of Spyders.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    Wow! Sounds like you had a great trip. That's a lot of Spyders.
    It was great to see that many at the same time. I do not think I will see that number again.

Ride safe
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-14-2023 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing.
    I was getting dizzy with all the switchbacks.
    Beautiful video.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    I was getting dizzy with all the switchbacks.
    Beautiful video.
    Thank you Raven.

Glad you liked it !
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
    My pleasure Ed

Have a wonderfull rest of the week and ride safe.
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

BRP Grosglockner Challenege 2023!
    Hi friends!

I had to edit the video from our trip to Austria.
    It turned out I had put the same video sequence in twice.
    So here is the new video:
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2023 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Removed Post title...
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Thank you @Peter Aawen, I was not sure on where to post it.
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post
    Thank you @Peter Aawen, I was not sure on where to post it.
    You can always drop any of the Mods a PM if you need a hand. I fixed the link in your post #6 too. Looks like a good trip! Thanks for the vid.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You can always drop any of the Mods a PM if you need a hand. I fixed the link in your post #6 too. Looks like a good trip! Thanks for the vid.
    Awesome peter and thanks for helping out!
    It was a great trip indeed.
    Drove less than two hrs after coming home and my air compressor gave up. New are "in the mail".
    Brgds Martin