Spyder Garage

Default My first ride in the rain

So. First time riding in rain. Luckily I was on a road with a 30 mph speed limit and the rain wasn't TOO heavy. With rain on the Spyder windshield and on my helmet visor, it was really hard to see what was going on.

Any suggestions from experienced drivers? Could I use my RejeX safely on the windshield and helmet visor to make it repel water? What is the best approach. (Other than parking, of course.)

Spyder Garage

There is a RainX for plastic. Don't use the regular RainX as it will damage your windshield and visor

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liv2cod View Post
    So. First time riding in rain. Luckily I was on a road with a 30 mph speed limit and the rain wasn't TOO heavy. With rain on the Spyder windshield and on my helmet visor, it was really hard to see what was going on.

Any suggestions from experienced drivers? Could I use my RejeX safely on the windshield and helmet visor to make it repel water? What is the best approach. (Other than parking, of course.)
    I discovered we both have an RT .... I don't know how high your windshield can go, but I raise mine to the max, when in the rain. If it's really coming down I'll get as close to the windshield as possible. .... Visibility is difficult when on any Mtc., it's just part of the experience .... stick with it, it's becomes easier over time .... good luck ...Mike

Spyder Garage

If you get stuck in the rain you have to tuck your self down behind the windshield as best you can and slow down! If the screen on your bike can be raised put it up to the max and get behind it because the rain will be coming over the top like a shower. Joys of the open road and the wind in your face!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

After 40+ years of riding I have found the faster you go the better the water wicks off your face shield also having a windshield with a flip will get the water up and over your helmet.

FYI. keep faced shield closed and vents closed, to prevent fogging use a pin lock on your shield.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2023 at 05:16 PM. Reason: you ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    There is a RainX for plastic. Don't use the regular RainX as it will damage your windshield and visor
    I use RainX for plastic also. I've ridden in the rain many times, the worst in Vermont at night going over a mountain on very dark roads. The rain would just sheet off the windshield and helmet visor and greatly improved vision through the windshield and visor. Fortunately, there were not many cars on the road and no one was tailgating me.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I treat my visor with Rainex, yes its supposed to damage the visor, but I replace mine at least every 6 months from scratching and havent seen any other effects.

I use Rainex for plastics on the windshield, I do mine before I head off on a long trip (about once/twice a month) and again when I get back. it works nicely for riding in the rain at night keeping both clear.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

My first Spyder ryde in the rain surprised me quite a bit. The rider protection is pretty good, and I noticed after getting home that my boots were hardly damp and not soaked. Better than I expected.

My worst experience was on my Harley. It was raining pretty hard in the western suburbs of Denver, and I stopped to put on rain gear. On exiting the Eisenhower Tunnel, I ran smack into a hail storm. That stuff really stings, and as soon as I could get to a safe place I pulled over and let the storm pass. I'd bet the Spyder would offer better protection in that case too.
    Last edited by RideOn; 05-23-2023 at 02:46 PM.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I think that anxiety arising from riding in the rain is partially self inflicted but not entirely. I have been riding two wheels for 60+ years and only recently Spyders. Last fall I was trapped in a ride that I had to complete in relatively heavy rain while riding my RTL. I was surprised how well it went. I think that was more due to experience than the Spyder. I agree with Slice's comments that the faster you go the better the riding circumstances are(within reason of course). Also, when the rain starts to affect vision, I just stand up and let the wind clear my face shield. I do not ride with my windshield at it's highest but just high enough that the spray off of the windshield is deflected over the top of my helmet.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In the old days..... we used to cut a potato in half and rub it on the windshield even on the car window, that actually worked good but now since they invented RainX that is what most everyone uses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I think that anxiety arising from riding in the rain is partially self inflicted but not entirely. I have been riding two wheels for 60+ years and only recently Spyders. Last fall I was trapped in a ride that I had to complete in relatively heavy rain while riding my RTL. I was surprised how well it went. I think that was more due to experience than the Spyder. I agree with Slice's comments that the faster you go the better the riding circumstances are(within reason of course). Also, when the rain starts to affect vision, I just stand up and let the wind clear my face shield. I do not ride with my windshield at it's highest but just high enough that the spray off of the windshield is deflected over the top of my helmet.
    Yup. 60 mph is more than enough I find. Sometimes I sit up a bit and look left and right. Blows it right off.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I remember one particular ride in the rain. I was on my Goldwing, wearing a 3/4 helmet with a bubble shield attached. My buddy had the same setup on his Goldwing. We were in the middle of nowhere, riding on a two-lane secondary road in the heart of forestry country. There were still the odd beehives being used. It started raining, a very slow, big drop, thick rain. It hit the windshield and stayed right where it hit. Also did this on my bubble shield. Before long, I could not see if I was on the roadway, so stopped right where I was and checked. Pulled the bike over to the side and waited out the rain before continuing. Don’t really know if that was acid rain or what. Never seen it before, or since.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-23-2023 at 08:14 PM. Reason: attacned...; eight there... ;-)

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I will own my 2011 RT ..... 2 years next month , 2023 ... and my first and only ride in the rain on it was a week after I got it . and it was a light rain , and I was only a few miles from home... But , I was wet all the way to my Socks ...LOL ... so I started planning on a fix for this problem , and I have planned it out and worked it out , and at the last of the design , and soon will post the fix for this.
    2011 RTS Spyder