Spyder Garage

Default Not a crisis topic - just Old Age and a new curiousity - 50mph 'feels' faster...

No lie.... My wife and I have noticed recently that when we are doing say 50 MPH, it "feels" faster than it did, even last year.
    No explanation..........just wondering if anyone else has noticed as they ride more (and get older), this has happened to them.
    Turning 80 Y.O. tomorrow isn't helping anything either
    Our wish for you.....Ride safe, ride as much as you can, and be happy, at any age
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ray, I joined the 80 y/o club one month ago today. I don’t really notice the speed thing, other than there do seem to be a lot of slowpokes on the road these days. I’m thinking that there are no more or no less, that it’s just crotchety old me.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Been riding 40 years and turn 80 in less than 2 weeks. If anything I find I need to go faster than in the past to get the same adrenaline jolt. I'm lucky to have a road only a few minutes from where I live that is very lightly traveled, straight as an arrow for over a mile, with not a tree, driveway or anything else where something might be hiding and ready to jump out at me, including police cars. I can usually get up to about 75 before I enter this stretch and then get the Spyder up to about 105 on the speedometer, which I guess is a real 100, or "hitting the ton". I only need to be at that level for a few seconds to get the rush!
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

When I haven't done much riding for awhile, it does seem faster.

I've been riding a lot of different Spyders/Rykers. Test riding after working on customer's bikes. They always seem to be going faster (not necessarily quicker) as well. Probably because I am just not used to that machine. As similar as they all are. Each one has a character of its own. Funny how that is.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-21-2023 at 07:17 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I am fixin to drop some serious $$$$ on a 23 S2S . It gives me a good feeling to know that there are more 80 yr old riders out there .

I was beginning to re think my purchase .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LALoner View Post
    I am fixin to drop some serious $$$$ on a 23 S2S . It gives me a good feeling to know that there are more 80 yr old riders out there .

Not all 80 year old's can still operate any motor vehicle. But if you can, I think you should. No matter the age or abilities. You should never ride above your sill level. I know we all have. I suppose you don't know what your skill level is until you exceed it. But have the wisdom to recognize it. Good advise that I have to remind myself of, from time to time.

Spyder Garage

As Clint Eastwood said: A man has to know his limitations. I agree. Enjoy it while you can no matter how fast or slow you go.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

As I am pushing 80, I am starting to like keeping to the posted speed limit + 2 mph or so. If traffic starts to pile up on a 2 lane, we usually pull over to let the faster traffic go by. Many roads in our area are just right for putzing along at 40 mph or so, we do a lot of that when we have the roads to ourselves. On the heavy traveled highways we do limit plus 5 most of the time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm a Pooteler these days as well.
    That being said I dont mind a bit of spirited cornering and twisty bits now and again.
    Dont slow down too much. Cept when the wife of onboard as she gets a bit cranky with that stuff.

Recently retired now and quite a few Summers away from 80.

I say good on ya. Your getting out there and enjoying the ride. Majic.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Glad to read this thread. I'm younger than some of you. Will turn 76 this year. I had some problems with my trike that have been fixed but was considering giving up on riding. The group I have been riding with for the last 18+ years is no more. My best riding buddy died last January so I find myself doing solo or doing nothing. I don't feel any diminished skills or anything like that, at least while still on three. So, maybe I'll give it another season or two.

One thing I do notice about speed is that when first cranking it up, it feels FAST. Then I do settle into a groove and even 75 to 80 on the interstate are comfortable. After doing that for a while, slowing down to 60 feels like a crawl.

Thanks for the inspiration.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I get exactly the same feeling. 84 years and been on a Spyder for 5 years.
    Local speed limit is 50mph and I feel like I am flying. Don't have the same problem in my car.
    Baz

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Glad to read this thread. I'm younger than some of you. Will turn 76 this year. I had some problems with my trike that have been fixed but was considering giving up on riding. The group I have been riding with for the last 18+ years is no more. My best riding buddy died last January so I find myself doing solo or doing nothing. I don't feel any diminished skills or anything like that, at least while still on three. So, maybe I'll give it another season or two.

One thing I do notice about speed is that when first cranking it up, it feels FAST. Then I do settle into a groove and even 75 to 80 on the interstate are comfortable. After doing that for a while, slowing down to 60 feels like a crawl.

Thanks for the inspiration.....
    There are hurdles to staying in the saddle. But I find that those who stick it out through the thin times always find they are glad they did.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    No lie.... My wife and I have noticed recently that when we are doing say 50 MPH, it "feels" faster than it did, even last year.
    No explanation..........just wondering if anyone else has noticed as they ride more (and get older), this has happened to them.
    Turning 80 Y.O. tomorrow isn't helping anything either
    Our wish for you.....Ride safe, ride as much as you can, and be happy, at any age
    Yessss Brother , I just turned 72 years old .... 11 days ago... May 10 1951 , and I DO know what your saying, and I believe in every word you said. thank you .
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

It's probably those 22-in wheels you got to bling your ride.

Spyder Garage

Speed perception can vary greatly do to age, health, experience, etc. If you feel comfortable and confident at high speeds at age 80+, that's great!. With 40+ years riding experience, at "only" age 66, I acknowledge that my skills, reaction time, and confidence level aren't what they used be, partially due to health issues and other factors. I've learned to adapt and accept a different level of thrill, and riding is still as rewarding as ever. I try not to ride any faster than my angel can fly.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

I'll be 77 in August and I noticed on a trip to Monticello, Ut on I70 2 weeks ago I was not comfortable at the freeway speed of 80. Both I and the Spyder are happier at 70mph.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You know what they say? Man with the most toy's wins!!! Good for you!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Can't say that I've noticed that myself. I was doing 80+ on the way to Rock Hill for the Can Am Experience ride. Tryke was stable the whole way. But that was unusual, usually I'm at the speed limit, especially when cruising the back roads. I avoid superslab when at all possible.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

will be 77 in September. 70mph is plenty fast and controllable.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Turned 78 two weeks ago. Wife and I like 65 - 70, road permitting, here on secondary AZ highways. Our freeways have a vast majority of cars doing 80 - 90. But on the freeways we keep it under 75.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Add me to the octogenarian list....January this year. Lovin' Life with my knees in the breeze.....
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The Need for SPEED? ?

....Well folks it's like this, some people have the 'Need for SPEED'.
    I am retired and truly appreciate this 'time of life'. I have enjoyed ryding more and more but, because of all the cagers things are crazy. I am trying to be Safe and Stay Healthy. So the wife and I ryde at 'our pace'.

Enjoy your Ryde Times and Stay Safe.
    Remember always be on the 'look out' for the cagers. Cell phones are the big problems.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Cell phones are no more the issue than guns killing people. It's the idiots behind them....
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

80 last March, been riding something with a motor since the early '50's. Thanks to McRus was able to acquire an excellent well taken care of a mint '20 F3-L. Been thinking of one for several years, road my first one on a demo ride 2010 in Prescott, Az. Road raced on BMW's until 3 years ago. My new to me F3-L easily seems comfortable at cruising at speeds from the 60's to the 80's. The more I ride the Spyder the more I become super pleased with this new chapter of refusing to grow up. Riding the Spyder is much closer to the feelings, and sensations of a motorcycle than the same with a Top Down convertible. Hard to explain, but there is a difference, one you are in the wind as one with the environment, as opposed to being in the confines of a topless Car.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the constant 15-20mph winds down here, I like to keep it around 55-60. But yesterday was a rare no-wind day, so on a nice new stretch of asphalt that I had all to myself for a while, I punched it out to 110 for a minute or so. Wheee! The most I ever coaxed out of mine was 117, a few years ago, with a little tailwind.

Oh, and I'm now on the downhill side toward age 84.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl