Spyder Garage

Default Poor gas tank design

Yesterday I was really patient when filling up after a ride with my 2021 RT. I didn't let the pump work automatically, but kept it to a modest flow. It clicked off as it should when the tank was supposedly full. But I patiently kept filling, with the gas pump nozzle just barely into the tank opening, using a very slow flow of gas. I was able to put in 1.2 gallons more. It seems to be a poor design when a gas tank will seem to be full with almost 20% of its capacity still available. On a long trip this could easily mean the difference in having a make an extra stop or not. I found similar situations with other motorcycles that I have owned, but maybe not to the degree that it is with the Spyder. I like to ride to a particular restaurant about 100 miles from home through some relatively interesting areas, and a really full tank would let me make the entire round trip easily without any worries. But if I stopped when the gas hose clicks off, doing 200 miles would likely get me down to the dregs in the tank. Just an annoyance.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

now you know fully how it works. if you want a full tank, you know what to do. this is first motorcycle that has the "auto hole" flange to put a nozzle into. but that's built into design cause fill opening is not exactly on top of tank, to allow expansion. that's why those vents are in there, need them to vent and to show you when level is getting to top
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

You are exactly right. Most people never even get close to filling their tank. I always top mine off exactly as you have illustrated. However, some pumps do not have a 'Slow' setting. They are more like a light switch than a throttle. They are either wide open or nothing. Those can be difficult, if not impossible to get a full tank.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You are exactly right. Most people never even get close to filling their tank. I always top mine off exactly as you have illustrated. However, some pumps do not have a 'Slow' setting. They are more like a light switch than a throttle. They are either wide open or nothing. Those can be difficult, if not impossible to get a full tank.
    There are local gas stations I won’t use for just that reason.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Yesterday I was really patient when filling up after a ride with my 2021 RT. I didn't let the pump work automatically, but kept it to a modest flow. It clicked off as it should when the tank was supposedly full. But I patiently kept filling, with the gas pump nozzle just barely into the tank opening, using a very slow flow of gas. I was able to put in 1.2 gallons more. It seems to be a poor design when a gas tank will seem to be full with almost 20% of its capacity still available. On a long trip this could easily mean the difference in having a make an extra stop or not. I found similar situations with other motorcycles that I have owned, but maybe not to the degree that it is with the Spyder. I like to ride to a particular restaurant about 100 miles from home through some relatively interesting areas, and a really full tank would let me make the entire round trip easily without any worries. But if I stopped when the gas hose clicks off, doing 200 miles would likely get me down to the dregs in the tank. Just an annoyance.
    x 2 You have found the answer to the "extra gallon" dilemma. I have been saying this since 2010 and it has been true on all seven spyders I have owned.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe I saw these on eBay for $5 a while back but I can't find them now. Cut a piece of medium thick tin about 3 inches square. Drill a 1 inch hole in the middle of it and then cut a matching slot out to one side. To make it stiffer if needed make a one quarter inch 90 degree bend on the opposite side. Now when using a gas pump nozzle slide the tin onto the nozzle above its collar and you can easily override the auto shutoff if you wish, and get that extra gallon dribbled into our tank without spilling any.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    after the Auto-shutoff, I always get 1.2 to.3 gal. in. .... makes a big difference in what your total mileage PER TANKFULL will be .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-22-2023 at 10:02 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I totally agree with VITO & BK. I'm fairly certain given the auto shut off feature on gas pump nozzles around the USA, not all being exactly the same, is partly responsible for skewing the wide variations of MPGs being reported. Some of the newer pump nozzles make it quite difficult to obtain a totally full tank, while some of the older pumps are much easier to use and complete the process. Spilling the gas is a big concern of mine and I surmise that is why EPA regs may have influenced BRPs gas tank design. If you are like myself and several others who just simply have to have that totally full gas tank feeling, be very careful with topping off, and DO NOT spill your fuel. JMHO
    Last edited by 2dogs; 05-22-2023 at 08:35 AM.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The station I always try to use up here in Canada has the 2 variations of pumps. The one is either on full speed or off. Using that one I cannot get a full tank...always down by a bar (I use the original gauge, not the analog). The other pump type is the older style that you can feather the fuel input and with it I am able to fill it to the rim.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I thought my Victory tank was hard to get full, but the Spyder wins out on this topic - hands down. There are a few stations locally that will fill slow enough to top the tank off. I go there when local. On the road, if it is a pump that won't allow slow fill, I try to at least get enough in to make 150 miles without spilling fuel. 150 miles is about my limit before I have to stop.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I've wondered if a better vented gas tank would help.

I remember having the relocated the evap canister on my Ford F350 so I could pump more than 30 gallons (it was a 48 gallon tank)

Spyder Garage

Fuel pump nozzles are designed for cars/trucks that have a longer filling pipe to the tank. You have the same situation when filling a gas can. I agree with the posted information above about some stations to avoid since they don't have a slower fill option. Still Love the Spyder anyway.
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    I've wondered if a better vented gas tank would help.

I remember having the relocated the evap canister on my Ford F350 so I could pump more than 30 gallons (it was a 48 gallon tank)
    well IMHO the "venting " has nothing to do with the problem, on the Spyders there is an AIR pocket above the nozzel opening .... this is for gas expansion pressure .... some of us have perfected " filling the tank " ..... good luck ... Mike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just usually step on my floorboard and give the old girl a shake to burp her as she is eating.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black