Spyder Garage

Default 2021 Seat and Trunk Shock Replacement - Done (Easily)!

I have done a lot of work on the bike - and although it's really not bad bike to work on, I just didn't feel like doing what I thought would be a PIA job replacing the trunk and shock seat. I had the parts, but why do today what I can put off till tomorrow, right?

But a trunk rack and seat pad and Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover means getting gas is a hassle and going in and out of the trunk is problematic when it won't stay open - so yesterday was the day.

Much thankls to Slingmods for another great video that made the trunk job easy - https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...699B&FORM=VIRE

And thanks to another member for suggesting a long screwdriver to take off the bottom retainer on the seat shock without having to remove any tupperware. All I had to do was remove the driver backrest and take off the passenger seat. My only additional advice is to remove the top seat shock screw first to allow the shock to fall backwards a bit to make access to the bottom retainer clip easier.

Now my trunk stays up properly and so does my seat.

UPDATE:

See here for reference thread - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...98#post1588298 and link to seat shock: https://shop.suspa.com/c16-14870-gas-spring-p334.aspx
    Last edited by Drwerner; 05-21-2023 at 04:16 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Yes the trunk strut takes all of about 5 minutes to get to and remove, that's taking it slow also.

Remove two screws inside the trunk and lift up and off with the back rest, one clip and one fastener and it's done, Install is the same but in reverse order so another 5 minutes. . Easy peasy.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 05-21-2023 at 09:21 AM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

So what after market shock did you use for your trunk? Are you saying the same shock fits the driver's seat and the trunk? I have ordered the shock for the drivers seat but do not see what to order for the trunk, which mine has a rack, and thus needs a stronger strut. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

The shock I used for the rear trunk is the one from Slingmods. It's definitely a lot stiffer and holds the lid up. As for the seat, I order a new 1 piece seat from Corbin so no more lifting the seat up to fuel up. It has a built-in door.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davgill2002 View Post
    So what after market shock did you use for your trunk? Are you saying the same shock fits the driver's seat and the trunk? I have ordered the shock for the drivers seat but do not see what to order for the trunk, which mine has a rack, and thus needs a stronger strut. Thank you.
    Not the same strut. The seat strut is longer.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue