Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Has anybody with EBC brake pads noticed better stopping power??

Has anybody who has installed EBC Brake Pads noticed an improvement in stopping power over OEM Brake Pads?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2023 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Has anybody who has installed EBC Brake Pads noticed an improvement in stopping power over OEM Brake Pads?
    Yes.... I have been using them since BajaRon began selling them .... I just changed out my rear pads ( EBC ) on my 14 RT and got 44,000 mi. from that set ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I put EBC pads on my F3S when my OEM's only had about 8K miles on them. After 8K miles, I can say that I think they're a slight improvement over OEM. I also think they're a touch noisier than OEM. Not squeal wise, just a bit on pad/rotor contact.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since we have the same brakes as what are on Porsche cars, I doubt there is any better braking system than what is OEM. All the EBC pads do is damage the rotors scraping them raw.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 05-20-2023 at 08:27 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Since we have the same brakes as what are on Porsche cars, I doubt there is any better braking system than when is OEM. All the EBC pads do is damage the rotors scraping them raw.
    The EBC pads should not be doing damage to your rotors. The embedded metal is a copper alloy. Much softer than the carbon steel used in the rotors. If you have experienced this effect, you may have some contamination embedded in your pads doing the damage.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I did notice increased stopping power on my 2012 but then these are not the Brembo brakes. I did get a piece of a stone caught in the brake on one side that tore up one front rotor so replaced it with a pair of EBC rotors and also noticed better stopping as well as quicker recovery in repeated heavy stops with little heat build-up. I attribute this to the EBC rotors and pads dissipating the heat more efficiently. I didn't track the OEM wear life, but I am getting good wear life out of the EBC. They are also less expensive than the OEM pads. I do put a liberal amount of anti-squeal on the back of my pads on installation as well as the beveling and cut line that BajaRon recommends so I hear little if any noise.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2023 at 04:15 PM. Reason: then + ' 's ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The EBC pads should not be doing damage to your rotors. The embedded metal is a copper alloy. Much softer than the carbon steel used in the rotors. If you have experienced this effect, you may have some contamination embedded in your pads doing the damage.
    with Ron and pegasus..... On my three Spyders I have 150,000 + mi. using EBC pads AND never experienced what you describe .... Nor have I heard on this Forum of anyone with your issue .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-20-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having owned 2 small bikes and 5 Goldwings, I’ve never had to replace a rotor. Yet many on here do it all the time. I’ve tried EBC pads and hated the feel of them scraping the rotors. The idea that they have better stopping power is only an excuse to using cheaper parts.

I’ll stick with Brembo pads as I did with Honda pads for over 500k miles.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 05-20-2023 at 08:24 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Since we have the same brakes as what are on Porsche cars, I doubt there is any better braking system than when is OEM. All the EBC pads do is damage the rotors scraping them raw.
    I dunno Ron, have you ever seen brake pads mounted backwards, ie with the metal/backing side in & scraping the crap outta the disc??!

Yeah, I know, surely stuffing as relatively simple a task as a pad change job up that much is just not possible.... But I've learned over the years to NEVER underestimate the infinite and impossible ways the unknowing can stuff up a seemingly simple job!!
    So yeah, I've seen it, and Not just the ONCE, either!!

Mind you, those ^^ instances were easier to fix than the one where the fella had taken an angle grinder to the caliper to make it go on all skew whiff - he'd seen some posts and utube vids where people suggested that either chamfering the pad's leading edge with a file, or slotting the pad with a hacksaw might reduce the squealing noise, so figured that he was better'n most & had a fine enough touch to do it with an angle grinder but why do it to the pad and then hafta do it again with every pad change, when you could simply grind enough off the caliper itself to angle it on the disc & so never hafta do it ever again....
    Only it took more grinding than he thought, and then it STILL didn't stop the squealing noise or make the brakes work any better.... in fact, they might've even been a bit worse! (ya think?! )

That's where I came in - the call went something like.... "Can you fix it for me Peter, it shouldn't be too hard or expensive, they were working fine yesterday & all I did was try to change the pads....." And he rode it here - 30 odd miles thru the city, then another 20 or so on the freeway plus some more once he took my exit.... In the bloody traffic!!

So these days, I really try hard NEVER to underestimate the infinite and impossible ways the unknowing can stuff up a seemingly simple job!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2023 at 07:27 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My analogy to the power of the EBC fully sintered pads and rotors is they'll stop you like the hand of God.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about more powerful , but they are definitely more quiet than the OEM pads.

Ever since I changed over to the EBC's I don't have the constant brake squeal that I had with the stock pads.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I don't know about more powerful , but they are definitely more quiet than the OEM pads.

Ever since I changed over to the EBC's I don't have the constant brake squeal that I had with the stock pads.
    Never a squeal from the OEM (Brembo) pads. Over 60k miles.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question. I invested in a full set, including rotors, from BajaRon, for just that reason. I don't have them installed yet, but will before any overnight camping trips pulling a loaded trailer; I didn't like the brake fade I was experiencing the last couple of times we did it, particularly in the mountains.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I did notice increased stopping power on my 2012 but then these are not the Brembo brakes. I did get a piece of a stone caught in the brake on one side that tore up one front rotor so replaced it with a pair of EBC rotors and also noticed better stopping as well as quicker recovery in repeated heavy stops with little heat build-up. I attribute this to the EBC rotors and pads dissipating the heat more efficiently. I didn't track the OEM wear life but I am getting good wear life out of the EBC. They are also less expensive than the OEM pads. I do put a liberal amount of anti-squeal on the back of my pads on installation as well as the beveling and cut line that BajaRon recommends so I hear little if any noise.
    The Brembo calipers are very good and the pads that come stock are also better than pad sets on the earlier Spyders. So, definite kudos to BRP for these improvements. Unfortunately, the OEM rotors have not seen any improvement from the originals. They are not of the best quality and are relatively soft. I've never seen anyone wear out an OEM rotor other than damage from pads worn to the steel backing plate or some form of pad contamination (like a pebble). But warpage is not uncommon.

The EBC rotors are a much better product. They not only improve stopping power, but I have never witnessed or heard of a Spyder owner warping one. I've had riders that warped as many as 3 OEM rotors, then purchase a set of EBC, and never have another issue. To me, this is a pretty good indication of quality.

It is also nice that you can get 2 EBC rotors for about the price of 1 BRP rotor. (No, Do Not Mix Rotors on the Front. You will get uneven stopping power which is not good. However, you can get an EBC rear rotor without getting EBC Fronts)

I've heard the argument of 'Cheaper indicating an inferior product'. And while this can certainly be true. It is not always. Sometimes it is an indication of an overpriced product. When I started making spark plug wire sets for the 998 from very high-quality racing wire & terminal ends. I got a few calls asking why they should buy my wire sets when the BRP wires were quite a bit more money. 'Doesn't that mean that your wires are inferior?', they would ask. My answer was always the same. (Tongue in cheek, of course)

'I am more than happy to charge you as much as it will take to make you feel better about your purchase.'

Sometimes you can get a better product for less money... if you're careful.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2023 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display; + Do ;-)

Spyder Garage

'I am more than happy to charge you as much as it will take to make you feel better about your purchase.'

Sometimes you can get a better product for less money... if you're careful.
    Reminds me of a saying regarding Westinghouse nuclear, "You can buy better, but you can't pay more."
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
    Reminds me of a saying regarding Westinghouse nuclear, "You can buy better, but you can't pay more."
    That's kind of like the guy who says, 'I get to work late, but I make up for it by leaving early'.

Spyder Garage

.....The idea that they have better stopping power is only an excuse to using cheaper parts
    Flamewinger, That maybe your reasoning, it's not mine. I am glad you like your Brembo pads. I don't have Brembo brakes on my 2012 as I explained in my post. The BRP pads do not provide as much braking power as the EBC pads do and they fade quicker. I would buy the EBC pads if they were more expensive. I bought them when they didn't come with the clips. I am glad that now they do. And I am glad that Ron is willing to sell them to me a Reduced (from BRP) price. Cheaper is not necessarily inferior and in this case, they are definitely superior.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-21-2023 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would be a "hell yes" especially under heavy braking. Heat em up and they are awesome, but with better grip comes faster wear.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

That's kind of like the guy who says, 'I get to work late, but I make up for it by leaving early'.
    I played basketball at a small college and our motto was: "We might be short, but we're also slow"
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-23-2023 at 04:49 AM. Reason: motor ;-)
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

I just installed EBC's yesterday so I'm very interested to see how they do.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

If you follow the "bedding-in" process exactly, you will be well rewarded with the EBC pads and rotors.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Simple answer is YES.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    If you follow the "bedding-in" process exactly, you will be well rewarded with the EBC pads and rotors.
    For those who have no idea of that process. Ya dont just swap em out and ride on. There is a process.

Something like this will see ya right.

https://www.dbabrakes.eu/basic-initial-brake-bed-in
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

"Yes"
    2015 RT , Black