Spyder Garage

Default Salvage 2008 GS with NO keys - what's the solution?

Hey all - I'm trying to help a fellow who is getting an insanely low mileage 2008 GS SM5 (only 4500km, 2800 miles) back on the road. It's a long story, but he's now the legit owner and has done quite a few repairs on it.

However, he got it with NO keys. He purchased a new lock cylinder, and he has several new keys ready to go, but of course, they are not recognized by the DESS unit.

I have BUDS so he contacted me to help. In searching online, he found all the info about programming new keys with BUDS etc, but yeah, 2008 through 2013 (14?, I forget exactly) needs the infamous red key, not BUDS. I confirmed on my wife's near identical 2008 that, yeah, there's absolutely nothing in BUDS about keys on this year machine.

So, the dilemma is...no original keys at all. And in doing a bunch of reading, if I am reading correctly, even WITH the red "master key" you still need at least one of the original keys that was matched to the DESS unit to begin the programming procedure for *additional* keys, correct?

So, in this situation he's in....am I also correct in understanding that the only route forward at this point is to purchase an existing matched ignition cylinder, key, and DESS unit combination from another scrapped machine? And his brand new lock cylinder and (unfortunately already cut) keys are effectively useless at this point as there would be no way to match them to the existing DESS?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2023 at 09:42 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You are mostly correct, except that you don’t need to match the DESS to the lock cylinder. There’s no such thing. At this point, buy and install a new DESS module. Use the switch and keys that he already has. The first time you turn on the ignition switch and power it up, it boots into programming mode. No need for the red master key. It will immediately program that key you are using. Then you remove that key and insert the other key. You HAVE TO program at least two keys.

Step by step instructions are in the repair manual under programming keys after DESS replacement. You need to switch keys within 2 minutes, even if you don’t get the prompt on the screen. You should refer to one. Keep in mind that you aren’t actually programming the key. You are registering the code already on the key with the DESS module. It’s just the terminology they came up with.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    You are mostly correct, except that you don’t need to match the DESS to the lock cylinder. There’s no such thing. At this point, buy and install a new DESS module. Use the switch and keys that he already has. The first time you turn on the ignition switch and power it up, it boots into programming mode.

Ok great, good news at least as I'm sure he wouldn't be too happy about having to start all over again with the ignition cylinder and already cut keys.

So, to be clear, this needs to be a new "virgin" DESS unit, correct? If it's even once been programmed to a key (ie a used unit) it won't enter programming mode on it's own out of the gate and would then need an existing key already programmed to it, plus the magic red master key, correct?

The next question is....does BRP even have/sell the DESS units for these machines any more.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you need a virgin DESS unit. Once one has been programmed once, and exits programming mode, you need the red master key to enter that mode. Go ahead and check the on line Spyder parts lists. I think they’re still available.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks a ton. Some quick Googling shows that there virgin units still out there so I think this would be the solution.

I'm tempted to hunt for a magic red key anyways just to have the ability to add at least one extra key to my wife's 2008 (edit, correction), plus have it as a feather in my back pocket for helping others down the road....but wow, those things seem to be like hens teeth now.
    Last edited by PrivatePilot; 05-19-2023 at 11:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    Thanks a ton. Some quick Googling shows that there virgin units still out there so I think this would be the solution.

I'm tempted to hunt for a magic red key anyways just to have the ability to add at least one extra key to my wife's 2018, plus have it as a feather in my back pocket for helping others down the road....but wow, those things seem to be like hens teeth now.
    You won't need the red key for the 2018, just BUDS2
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    You won't need the red key for the 2018, just BUDS2
    Whoops, sorry, that was a typo - her's is a 2008 as well.

This is why helping this other fellow with his is proving a learning experience that's of interest to me as everything is applicable to my wife's machine 100%.

I found the local BRP dealer has virgin OEM DESS units for around $200, so we're golden, I've gave him the part number and he'll order it and that should be the last piece of the puzzle.