Spyder Garage

Default Thinking outside the box - will parts swap from 2014-18 to 2020+?

I frequently like to think outside the box on things. Making the switch from the 2014 RT-L body style & top case to a 2020 RT-L and newer is a tempting option. I do have a couple of dislikes about the newer body style though. One is the frunk lid on the old body style is much more appealing to me than the new one. Along the same line of thinking, the old-style mirrors with the turn signals in them is also much more appealing as well as being much more noticeable due their size and higher placement. I think they provide a superior visual to other drivers than the new ones. So, my questions are whether or not those parts from an old style are compatible to be used on a new style RT Limited?

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I think the only things that would interchange are the motor, wheels and tires, belt, battery, and windshield. That's about it. I could be wrong. Bruce
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2023 at 09:24 PM. Reason: enter... ;-)
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I don't think you will find anything that crosses over other than the Motor. Its an entirely different machine in every way. I have had both styles, the 2020 & up even rides totally different, as in Better
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I frequently like to think outside the box on things. Making the switch from the 2014 RT-L body style & top case to a 2020 RT-L and newer is a tempting option. I do have a couple of dislikes about the newer body style though. One is the frunk lid on the old body style is much more appealing to me than the new one. Along the same line of thinking, the old-style mirrors with the turn signals in them is also much more appealing as well as being much more noticeable due their size and higher placement. I think they provide a superior visual to other drivers than the new ones. So, my questions are whether or not those parts from an old style are compatible to be used on a new style RT Limited?
    I don't think any of the body parts are exchangeable. I agree with you about the turn signal on the mirrors. You can get BRP mirrors for the Australian version of the RT that have the turn signals in them. This will cost somewhere around $500 for the parts. That's very easily accomplished. but only gives you the turn signal lights.

I chose to get the front fender lights and rear bag lights from SpyderPops:
    https://spyderpops.com/front-fender-...19-up-fenders/
    https://spyderpops.com/saddle-bag-ma...odels-2020-up/

Then I added the turn signal lights from Lamonster:
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/ambe...pyder-rt-2020/

Put it all together and you get this for roughly $400. The photo below shows the running lights: These photos are in my garage and may not be the best.

Here's a shot of the turn signals activated. All six lights activate (and the original OEM lights).

The previous shots are in my garage. Here is a photo of the running lights during the daytime:

Last edited by ThreeWheels; 05-19-2023 at 09:07 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey