Spyder Garage

Question Can someone explain the physics of how a tire balancer liquid works?

I confess I am at a loss to to explain how a tire balancer/flat fix like RIDE-ON works. The flat fix part is a no brainer. However how it balances the tire is not so intuitive. From the available use descriptions it appears to spread as a thin layer on the inside of the tire and rotational inertia should spread it to a relatively uniform thickness, but how does it weight the area in need of balance weight? Or does it simply increase the total rotational inertia of the tire and reduce the the out of balance moment by increasing the total tire mass making the needed balance weight a smaller percentage and thus less noticeable.
    Thanks, TOADS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TOADS View Post
    I confess I am at a loss to to explain how a tire balancer/flat fix like RIDE-ON works. The flat fix part is a no brainer. However how it balances the tire is not so intuitive. From the available use descriptions it appears to spread as a thin layer on the inside of the tire and rotational inertia should spread it to a relatively uniform thickness, but how does it weight the area in need of balance weight? Or does it simply increase the total rotational inertia of the tire and reduce the out of balance moment by increasing the total tire mass making the needed balance weight a smaller percentage and thus less noticeable.
    Thanks, TOADS.
    You don't need any help with this, you've got it sorted already! If you want a label for it to impress the mob at the pub, you could always use 'Centrifugal Force', or better yet/more correctly, try Centripetal Force, but really, it's juuust a little bit from your Column A above, plus a little bit from your Column B... and Voilą, problem solvered Nett result, tire spinning smooottthhly!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2023 at 09:17 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a similarly hard time understanding the balancing beads, too. Even though everybody that has tried them has said they work, I just don't understand HOW.

For the time being, I will stick with the cancer-causing hunks of metal that still seem to work just fine.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G