Spyder Garage

Default 2018 F3L gas gauge doesn't always read full after filling?! Anyone else? Fixes?

My gas gage does not read full after filling some times. It will read 3/4 or a little above that. Had dealer check it out. Nothing was in the computer as no errors. He did some updates but don't think it will help. It's been doing this for awhile. He said if it doesn't fix it they will replace fuel pump sending unit. It's all one piece. Wondering if this has happened to other and what fixed it.
    2018 F3 Limited
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

That's why I like to use mileage to decide when I need to stop for gas! I reset the trip meter at every gas stop.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I do that to but my mileage on a tank of gas verys from 32-40 mpg. Depending on how aggressive I ride. So that could be 40-50 miles per tank difference. Kinda hard to gage that way.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

If you are using "auto shut off" that is why you are not getting a full tank.

I don't use that method. I fill to the ring, let it settle, then fill to the ring one more time. That is about as full as you will get it. That is about a gallon more than you will get with auto shut off.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It doesn't matter. I've filled and top off clicked 5 times and even filled way up the spout and still reads the same. I used to stop on auto shut off and still had a full tank. There is an issue.
    Last edited by JP58; 05-17-2023 at 02:30 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Recently, my fuel gauge started acting erratic. Filled fuel, fuel gauge showed full, climbed a hill, and gauge showed 3/4, but I had only ridden about 12 miles. I use my odometer, but dealer is going to replace the fuel pump/sending unit assembly.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

FWIW I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/McCuff-Motorc...28&sr=8-2&th=1

Perfect fill each time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    It doesn't matter. I've filled and top off clicked 5 times and even filled way up the spout and still reads the same. I used to stop on auto shut off and still had a full tank. There is an issue.
    It does sound like you have a problem with the fuel pump or the gauge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

These Spyder/Ryker gas gauges are notoriously inaccurate from the factory, so much so that you should be bloody pleased if you get one that's anywhere near accurate at any time with any volume of fuel in it! This 'inherent inaccuracy' is largely due to the shape of the tank & the positioning of the sender/float unit inside that odd shaped tank!

There's a fair few threads already on the Forum talking about this... Some samples below:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ght=Fuel+gauge

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...annisterectomy

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ght=Fuel+gauge ****** Note this one! ******

.....and there's heaps more like that, IF you look Most are well worth reading before you let anyone take your Spyder to do something that might not make it any better anyway?!?

All you need to do to find other threads on dodgy fuel gauges is to type 'Fuel gauge' into the Search field up above the Top Right corner of the thread's first post on this page; click the 'Search Titles Only' box in the drop down list that'll appear below the Search field (do be aware that even if you can't always or possibly even never see them, the search routine will look at both THREAD titles and individual POST titles, so you might get some results you don't expect ); then submit the search by clicking on the magnifying glass a touch further to the Right.

Then Read on - there's lotsa good info in that lot, maybe even some 'not so good' info too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2023 at 08:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!