Spyder Garage

Default Safety Recall Notice re brakes - that's probably caused my battery failure!

Just had the NHTSA campaign # 23V175 done at my dealer. Notice states that a brake light switch may fail and cause the brake light to stay illuminated. Dealer also stated that contamination in the switch can cause a draw on the battery without illuminating the light.

Three months ago I had to replace my battery. It was only 28 months old. It would show fully charged on the tender, but was so dead it could not be charged. That suggests that it was drawn down so far that it was no longer serviceable. I believe that is why my new battery showed only 80% charged after only 3 days sitting. I suggest if you get the recall notice that you do it ASAP and NO, BRP will not entertain any battery assistance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2023 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that insight. Quick addition to the recall fix. I bought a used 2021 RTL and drove it for months with no issues. I took it to the dealer for the recall fix, within 1 mile, it threw a VSS code and put in 'Limp Home Mode'. Returned to the dealer who reset it... 18mi later, it threw the code again. Was able to reset it by turning off/on the bike. However, it continued to randomly throw the VSS code. Since they've done so many recalls w/o issue, the dealer thought it was a coincidence and said it could be the battery. Logic says, it was due to the recall fix. Anyway, I replaced the battery. No luck... same situation. After two more trips to the dealer, they consulted in-depth w/BRP who ultimately said to recalibrate the system to the vehicle operations spec's and not the spec's on the recall fix document. No issue since.

Short description: If you get the brake light stays illuminated recall completed and start throwing a VSS code, the system may need to be calibrated to the official operations specifications and not the specifications indicated on the recall fix notes.
    2021 RT LTD Dark , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Interesting. I replaced my '20 RT brake switch last year for this condition (out of pocket, prior to recall). A direct swap with no other work done and no issues since. I'm afraid to go to the dealer for the recall because 'if it ain't broke. don't fix it'.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Interesting. I replaced my '20 RT brake switch last year for this condition (out of pocket, prior to recall). A direct swap with no other work done and no issues since. I'm afraid to go to the dealer for the recall because 'if it ain't broke. don't fix it'.
    Just wondering, did BRP send you a recall notice?

They did me but the switch is now not available to individuals as they are being saved for the recalls..... So I've been told by countless dealers.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have a letter from BRP dated March 17, 2023. I keep moving the notice to the bottom of the pile.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White