Spyder Garage

Now you're ready!

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    Now you're ready!

Sarah
    Thanks Sarah. Fitted the bar end weights yesterday but can't do a test ride atm; my leg has been playing up so have been advised to rest up for a few days. Managed to reuse the stock bolts like you mentioned. Beautiful riding weather at present adding insult to injury :-)

Spyder Garage

Aw man, but we know recovery takes a while so easy does it. That bike will be ready when you are.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Wondering if anyone here has swapped out their handlebars and what you ended up with. My wrists are getting a bit of a hammering pulling the bars around the backroad twisties which abound in NZ. In spite of bar end weights and grip puppies I'm still getting pains.

Spyder Garage

I put the Ryker Sport bar on mine.
    They bring the bars back and up.
    My right arm is 3" shorter than my left ( misspent youth).
    A steering damper might help more.
    Thinking of one myself.

Spyder Garage

Are your grips level with your shoulders? You may want to try a set of handlebar risers first. Attaching them is quite easy. One drawback is you may have to slide the handlebars forward to fuel up though.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure risers are the solution as the bars are already quite high compared to the bikes I've ridden, where the bars a noticeably lower for my 6'2" frame. The wrist problem is (I think) the hand grips are at too acute an angle. They aren't in fact too bad of an angle but combined with the height my wrists just don't like it. A straighter wider bar would be good but you never can tell to you try them...it can get expensive if you get it wrong. So far I'm only out $27NZ for bar weights as I intend to reuse the grip puppies :-)

Spyder Garage

I replaced the standard bars on my 2019 Rally with the Can-Am Cross-Style Handlebar for All Ryker models (part #) 219400847. They are 6" wider end to end (providing more leverage) pull back about 3" and sit higher by 3" compared to stock and reduce the accute angle on my wrists. They are pre drilled for all existing handlebar parts and are an easy install.

A previous injury to my right wrist has limited my range of motion. I also found the stock bars to be very uncomfortable. The cross-style bars are a great improvement. That being said I still stop and flex my wrist every few hours as it gets sore when held in one position.
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 12-23-2023 at 08:27 AM.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    I replaced the standard bars on my 2019 Rally with the Can-Am Cross-Style Handlebar for All Ryker models (part #) 219400847. They are 6" wider end to end (providing more leverage) pull back about 3" and sit higher by 3" compared to stock and reduce the accute angle on my wrists. They are pre drilled for all existing handlebar parts and are an easy install.

A previous injury to my right wrist has limited my range of motion. I also found the stock bars to be very uncomfortable. The cross-style bars are a great improvement. That being said I still stop and flex my wrist every few hours as it gets sore when held in one position.
    Thanks for this, sounds exactly what I'm looking for. will check them out. Cheers!

Spyder Garage

First time on gravel today. The rally was well at home on the steep uphill twisty climbs. Rally mode made power drifting around corners as easy as twisting the throttle. The suspension was also spot on. It seems the Can am guru's have got this machine pretty well set up out of the box, the bars are still a problem but will be sorting that soon.

IMG_4425.jpg
    Last edited by nightfalcon; 01-10-2024 at 12:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Loving the Rally

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-24-2024 at 08:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Im glad you are enjoying the Rally and hope you get your handlebar issues sorted. I am very envious of the beautiful views on your ride.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Nice pictures ! Reminds me of the Lost Coast, Northern California.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Im glad you are enjoying the Rally and hope you get your handlebar issues sorted. I am very envious of the beautiful views on your ride.
    Thanks, we are very fortunate to have lots of beautiful scenery and the backroads to see them in NZ. The USA has always been on my bucket list to ride, and I now have a son in law and daughter living in San Diego, so it might happen!

New bars seem to have put paid to the wrist problem:

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

I am interested to hear from anyone who has a steering damper fitted to their Ryker... namely, how much does it affect normal on-road steering? On gravel, the steering is fairly light, so I'm not worried so much about stiffer bars, but I came home with rather sore shoulders squeezing it round the sealed roads, so I'm not wanting to make that any harder. Any comments appreciated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-24-2024 at 08:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

I would think any kind of steering damper will add resistance to the steering. Which is not really what you want.. However, I know I get sore shoulders riding my RTL ( which has assisted steering ) after not being on the bike over the winter. Gotta learn to ride again after the layoff....Sometimes you have to relax more and just guide Can Am's rather than pushing and pulling....or so say many experts on here LOL

Love the pics you have been posting. .Maybe one of these days i will have a chance to visit the North Island where some of my ancestors lived 150 years ago...sigh so expensive to go tripping these days.

Enjoy that bike and keep the shiny side up !!!!
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

I guess most of the folks saying "to relax and use the throttle rather than push or pull the bars" maybe have power assisted steering on their machines. To be fair, it was a longish ride for me so shoulders were out of their comfort zone (as was the rest of my saggy old hide).... just means I'll need to ride more

IMG_4467.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-26-2024 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yup. The old saying ..slower in and faster out really comes to mind with my F3 Mobility Scooter.
    I spose its the same with the Rally.

Seems to like just a little power on, almost at all times in the turns, much earlier than 2 wheels where you can drift in and power out after the apex. Make any sense? For me I cant "Crack It" until that vanishing point is wide open.

I also agree you have to drive these Spyders.
    Effortless counter steering is a gone burger. Tipping in? hahaha Nope.
    It takes some effort and I too find it fatiguing.
    I have fitted bar end mirrors. I find the kiss the inside mirror lean in helps to counter the GEES and cornering.

I reckon forget the 2 wheel stuff, your on a Spyder. Completely different, cept you still get the same bugs and a wet ass.

I think about the bonuses.
    Bonus you are not so much concerned when you see a bit of loose stuff appear 1/2 way round the corner. Sure it may slip a bit, bit of a sway as you catch it, but your still on your way. Not crawling out of the water table...if ya lucky.
    Dont forget the Rego costs here locally. I smile when I renew. There is a list. May have to pop a rack on the top box to take a folding Zimmer-frame in a few years.

Fun to ride - you bet, and still out there with the wind in ya face is awesome.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Came across some shingle that had spilled onto the road from a stock pile right in the middle of tight corner on my last ride. Couldn't see it going into the corner...if I was on a bike there is no telling how it might have ended. The Rally never flinched, just rode straight over it. The state of our roads, especially back country roads, is quite appaling, I don't miss riding two wheels on them. Tar bleed is a real danger as well, the Rally used to get loads of the stuff all over the swingarm until I replaced the rear guard with a full sized one.

My rehab physio is currently working on my fitness so hopefully in time that will pay off on the Rally. I do tend to over do things a tad, like my last ride, but its so much fun when you get in the zone I forget my current limitations