Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My Ryker Adventure - any comments or advice?

So I'm considering a Ryker of some description as I'm unable to ride two wheels any longer. I'm a former Trail/Adventure rider, have been doing that for decades, and am keen to keep doing it.... albeit a bit more sedately. Flat-ish gravel roads with the odd pothole would be about my (and the bike's) limit these days. From my research, the 2022 Rally is the most 'adventurous' model out of the box.

Apart from stronger rims, 400mm front suspension, sump & radiator protection, and Rally mode (that almost turns off the inbuilt nanny), is there much difference to the earlier Rykers or even the Sport?

Is it straightforward to add the 22 Rally protection to the others? (Assuming they don't come with some of it)

There are several thousands of dollars-worth of difference for earlier low milage Rykers in NZ, so I'm thinking why pay new price if a good used Ryker can essentially provide the same ride for the cost of a few bolt on parts?

I've never ridden any of them, but they look like they will tick a few of my old boxes, and by the sounds of it, still provide a fun way to explore the back roads of Kiwiland

Appreciate any comments or advice from you folks who actually own and ride a Ryker...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2023 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 Rally and it would easily handle the type of roads you are talking about. I did add the longer stroke shocks in the front that i got off amazon. They made a huge difference in handling and increased ground clearance.
    The only other thing you may want is some real mesh for in front of the radiator....at least for the older models. I'm not sure what the newer ones use.

Spyder Garage

Hey there, nightfalcon!

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

its no problem to add the "Rally" parts on a standard, but you can find also cheaper 400mm shocks for it, I installed also a riser for my rear shock (2up) The Rally-mode works only till 30miles/hou, so its no problem to ride with the normal mode ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Read where there is some aftermarket parts to get a bit more ground clearance on any of the Ryker models. Do not know offhand what those parts are. Shocks, springs and some spacers should raise things up.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the insights.

To the uninitiated....the ground clearance of the radiator is a tad concerning. Just not used to taking any bike with less than 10" of clearance where there's pot holes....even on gravel.....so front end/ sump protection is up there to get sorted. Even the 22 Rally front protection looks a little flimsy...like that plastic crash bar...but as long as there are good anchor points I'm fairly confident I can improve on the stock protection.

I guess ryker pannier brackets are able to accommodate foreign cases...with some minor modifications? I have some pelican cases from my old Tiger that I'm hoping I can fit to a Ryker brackets....anyone done this before?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nightfalcon View Post
    I guess ryker pannier brackets are able to accommodate foreign cases...with some minor modifications? I have some pelican cases from my old Tiger that I'm hoping I can fit to a Ryker brackets....anyone done this before?
    Couple threads on diy bags, unfortunately BRP tends to engineer for select products.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ght=Ryker+bags

Last edited by Bfromla; 05-16-2023 at 07:43 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Couple threads on diy bags, unfortunately BRP tends to engineer for select products.

Cheers for the links. Some great ideas in there. Fairly confident I can get something to work now.

Spyder Garage

Cheers for the links. Some great ideas in there. Fairly confident I can get something to work now.
    There are more threads & info, those are just a couple I almost remembered.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2023 at 03:40 AM. Reason: I ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    Hey there, nightfalcon!

Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

thank you for putting me on to this forum and your other sagely tips and advice. You're a legend! I may quite possibly end up following your lead and adapt an older model to suit my style.

The local Can am dealer is also the KTM dealer for our area so I've known him for ages, I'm fairly confident he will do me a great deal on a 22 Rally, he has a couple on his shop floor but there are also several 21 Rally's with low K's for much less for private sale. Warranty will be an issue tho, I don't know the reliability of the Ryker (but Rotax engines are bullet proof in my experience).

A used 21 with low K's (under 10,000 km) with a proven service history should be ok? Are there any known things to watch out for?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2023 at 05:22 AM. Reason: ledged (having a ledge or ledges) - legend (a popularly believed historical story) ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hi nightfalcon, I'm glad to see you here. The only reason I went with a '22 is to have cruise control. We like to tour out west and the ride out involves long stretches of straight fast roads. I don't like Facebook but Doug has an account so I check in on the various Ryker groups. There's a fellow there who just turned over 89,000 miles, his posts go back a few years, so I'm thinking he has a '19 or '20. chris56 (posted up above) rides the heck out of his two-up, and I believe he has the first year model. Let the seasoned owners here guide you, but if I hadn't wanted cruise I would have looked at previous models and shopped for a solid bike, just as you mentioned.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My last long trip on my 2020 Ryker 900 standard was 1115 miles in 6 days.
    The only clearance issue with stock shocks (thereafter replaced with 400 mm) was at Vermilion Cliffs, east of the Grand Canyon's North Rim, when reentering the highway which had been recently repaved with a double step of asphalt from the dirt apron. Should have replaced much earlier.

The only traction issue was re-entering highway west of Bryce Canyon on a steep deep gravel apron. Had to approach on an angle.

13-Cedar Breaks sign 28 July 2020.jpg

14-Duck Creek pond 28 July 2020.jpg

15-Bryce Cyn overlook 28 July 2020.jpg

16-Lee's Ferry boat ramp 17 Sep 2020.jpg

17-Vermilion Cliffs National Monument 17 Sep 2020.jpg

18-Grand Canyon North Rim Point Imperial 18 Sep 2020.jpg

No issues on rough unpaved and unmaintained roads, exercising due caution.

Now back on 2 wheels, but the Ryker was a lot of fun!

11-with Dart Marlin & Apache 1800 cases.jpg

13-Pie Town 11 May 2023.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2023 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Hi all,

well I'm progressing with my prospective Ryker purchase. But I have another question:

Has anyone fitted Barkbuster Hand guards to their bike? I'm not much of a fan of the stock Ryker hand guards and the additional $190.00 odd dollars for the plastic wind protectors is a bit over the top. I'm fairly confident one of the many Barkbuster handlebar mounts will fit the Rally's bars but would be handy to know which ones...assuming somebody has gone down this path. Plus, they look way better than the stock handguards :-)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2023 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hi all,

Well, I'm progressing with my prospective Ryker purchase. But I have another question:

Has anyone fitted Barkbuster Hand guards to their bike? I'm not much of a fan of the stock Ryker hand guards and the additional $190.00 odd dollars for the plastic wind protectors is a bit over the top. I'm fairly confident one of the many Barkbuster handlebar mounts will fit the Rally's bars but would be handy to know which ones...assuming somebody has gone down this path. Plus, they look way better than the stock handguards :-)

I have the stock hand guards on my Rally and added these to them.

https://www.amazon.com/Handguards-UT...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They work great and still allow me to add the hand guard lights if I want to. And much less expensive than the Can Am guards.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-10-2023 at 03:35 AM. Reason: hanguards?? ;-)

Spyder Garage

Well I've gone and done it, Brand new 2022 Ryker Rally.

16861776918620.jpg

Spyder Garage

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

I think you will enjoy the heck out of this bike, nightfalcon. We made a 600 mile loop over the past couple of days and I had a blast. Part of the route was a mistake, we took the wrong fork on a little side road and ended up on 11 miles of rough ruined gravel that included grapefruit sized rocks, foot deep washes, rock ledges, patches of sand, and deep mud holes. It was rough enough that Doug cracked and ruined the kickstand switch on his V85TT, requiring a trailside patch up. The Ryker never skipped a beat, never gave me cause for concern in any way. I don't intend to ever get into anything like that again, but the bike's capabilities have certainly impressed us. Keep us posted on the delivery and your upgrades, I know you have a few things in mind starting day one.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

16861776918620.jpg
    IMHO you made the right choice. I purchased a 2019 Rally when they were first available for the same reason you are considering one. While the earlier model it is fundamentally similar to your 2022 the newer model has some distinct advantages. 1. Improved taller and more robust suspension. 2. Substantially more comfortable (and taller) seat. 3. Improved undercarrage protection. 4. Provision for cruise control. 5. Better brakes. 6. Akropovic exhaust. Although I have made most of the listed upgrades to my 2019 (and likely spend as much as the improved items added to the 2022 cost) yours come with warranty protection which mine did not. That being said , the only true warranty repair on my 2019 was a leaking water pump and it has been very reliable otherwise.

If you are even remotely handy with a spanner you will find routine service to the Ryker can be done at home and not having to do the valve clearance dance every service cycle is huge. Enjoy the 2022.
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 06-10-2023 at 07:27 AM. Reason: clarity
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

for the nightfalcon
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

16861776918620.jpg

Well done, congratulations.
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

I've been servicing my bikes ever since I've been riding...over 40yrs...so not too concerned about wrenching on the Rally. I see the workshop manual is around $24 USD to download so will be doing that at some point.

My immediate head scratcher is connecting to the 12V ACC connector under the left panel as I don't think I can source the female connector locally, I want to connect heated grips to turn off with the ignition....easy enough to replace the plug altogether but might create warranty issues. Probably just run my gps straight from the battery with a 2amp fuse as less chance of flattening the battery that way. Lots to learn about my new investment.

Am just happy to be able to get out and explore again. Things got a bit dark after losing my leg so am very appreciative of this new opportunity to keep my passion for exploring NZ alive!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    I think you will enjoy the heck out of this bike, nightfalcon. We made a 600 mile loop over the past couple of days and I had a blast. Part of the route was a mistake, we took the wrong fork on a little side road and ended up on 11 miles of rough ruined gravel that included grapefruit sized rocks, foot deep washes, rock ledges, patches of sand, and deep mud holes. It was rough enough that Doug cracked and ruined the kickstand switch on his V85TT, requiring a trailside patch up. The Ryker never skipped a beat, never gave me cause for concern in any way. I don't intend to ever get into anything like that again, but the bike's capabilities have certainly impressed us. Keep us posted on the delivery and your upgrades, I know you have a few things in mind starting day one.

Sarah
    Hey Sarah, you mentioned about fitting a BajaRon sway bar thingy? When you talked about squirrely was that before or after you fitted the taller front shocks? I would think the 22's ability to stiffen the dampening might help with that? will see I guess....

Spyder Garage

Is there an acc fuse setup in the fuse box?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Is there an acc fuse setup in the fuse box?
    F3 is the USB/ACC 5amp fuse. Without being able to test it until I get the Rally, I'd need the wiring diagram to see where the 12v ACC plug is fused. I imagine the USB fuse would be a seperate circuit/ fuse?

Spyder Garage

Yup. If its there and available.
    I guess the fuse is changeable as is the size of the wire re volt amp requirements.
    The F3 has the heated grips built in.
    On other rides without the OEM heated grips I confess I went to the fused direct to the battery, Oxford heated grip smarty pants controller.
    Which saves a flat battery if (when) you forget to switch it off when you get off and shut it down.
    2017 F3 Ltd