Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like chirping birds at idle on 2015 RT - any ideas on why/what??

After searching and finding nothing, here’s my issue with my 2015 RT with 7,000 miles on it.
    When I stop I notice what sounds like birds chirping coming from the front end. The sound is there in gear or in neutral or in reverse.
    It doesn’t go away by reving the engine.
    I’m not at all mechanically included so I’m hoping someone has experienced this sound.
    Thanks for your input because I just bought the bike a couple of weeks ago and didn’t notice it at first but I was busy getting familiar with other things.
    Greg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

How long has this 'chirping' been going on??

I ask, cos I had a visitor ryde in with a similar complaint just a while back - they'd gone out for a ryde in the country and noticed their RT was 'chirping madly' at every pause... The owner was concerned and didn't want to go any further away from the big smoke without working out what was making the noise. Once they'd stopped the bike, it was obvious the chirping was coming from the front right, sorta in the tunnel where the steering arms cross the bike, and with the engine shut down, it was still quite loud, angry, and strident!

Sorted fairly quickly - once I'd removed the angry Indian Mynah bird that'd somehow got itself caught in the guts of the Spyder. It didn't seem to be too damaged, no signs of anything broken or even marked, just a bit of dirt & dust knocked loose - the bird was fine too, it flew off in high dudgeon as soon as I released it!

Knowing all that might not help you too much tho... buuut then again
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 06:08 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    How long has this 'chirping' been going on??

I ask, cos I had a visitor ryde in with a similar complaint just a while back - they'd gone out for a ryde in the country and noticed their RT was 'chirping madly' at every pause... The owner was concerned and didn't want to go any further away from the big smoke without working out what was making the noise. Once they'd stopped the bike, it was obvious the chirping was coming from the front right, sorta in the tunnel where the steering arms cross the bike, and with the engine shut down, it was still quite loud, angry, and strident!

Sorted fairly quickly - once I'd removed the angry Indian Mynah bird that'd somehow got itself caught in the guts of the Spyder. It didn't seem to be too damaged, no signs of anything broken or even marked, just a bit of dirt & dust knocked loose - the bird was fine too, it flew off in high dudgeon as soon as I released it!

Knowing all that might not help you too much tho... buuut then again
    LMAO….nope it didn’t help me a bit but a great story regardless.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default My 2015 sounds like chirping birds when at idle

I posted this earlier in RT technical section but then thought it could also be on an F3 so reposting here in general discussion section.
    After searching and finding nothing, here’s my issue with my 2015 RT with 7,000 miles on it.
    When I stop I notice what sounds like birds chirping coming from the front end. The sound is there in gear or in neutral or in reverse.
    It doesn’t go away by reving the engine.
    I’m not at all mechanically included so I’m hoping someone has experienced this sound.
    Thanks for your input because I just bought the bike a couple of weeks ago and didn’t notice it at first but I was busy getting familiar with other things.
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    I posted this earlier in RT technical section but then thought it could also be on an F3 so reposting here in general discussion section. After searching and finding nothing, here’s my issue with my 2015 RT with 7,000 miles on it. .....
    Yeah, nope!

Doesn't help & not a great idea, cos it:

• creates/makes worse any chances of others being able to search for similar info later on by adding yet another thread to look thru amongst the many already here;
    • often looks like you could be a spammer;
    • actually tends to make it LESS likely you get a full response in any of the duplicated threads, cos you make at least some of those who've replied already feel as tho you're ignoring them/their responses, and others catch on to that fairly quickly, so you often get less in the way of responses across the board & there's an increased chance that no one thread gets all the story....

Besides, duplicated threads will be merged anyway; and MOST of the regular posters/likely helpful replier's tend to use the 'New Posts' or 'Today's Posts' searches anyway, so they'll get to see at least the thread titles of EVERYTHING that's been posted since they last came onto the Forum, or at least they'll see all of Today's posts, and seeing more than one new thread asking exactly the same thing rings all sorts of alarm bells re spammers, scammers, &/or trolls!
    And that ^^, plus the help it is to anyone searching (now or later on, maybe years later on) is another reason that makes it so important to always try to briefly state your question in your thread titles too!

So, if you EVER think your 'first attempt' at posting a thread might be in the wrong place, DO NOT DUPLICATE IT in another Forum Section/sub-Forum, simply drop me or any of the other Mods a PM telling us where it is & where you think it might be better placed, and we'll look at moving it - no promises, but we'll look! . All the Moderator's Usernames are in Green alongside each of our posts, and you can see who's currently on the Forum by looking for the Green usernames in the 'Currently Active Users' listing down the bottom of the Forum's main index page - just click on the Forum button which is just to the Right of the Home button in the top menu line and scroll down past the list of the Forum Sections & sub-forums.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 09:25 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    They say you never stop learning things in life, thank you for that lesson today!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that post. Very informative.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a chirping/chirring noise in the left front of my 2015 for a long time, but it was while under load and would immediately quit upon unloading the drivetrain.

It went away with the front sprocket recall/replacement. Has your sprocket been replaced?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I had a chirping/chirring noise in the left front of my 2015 for a long time, but it was while under load and would immediately quit upon unloading the drivetrain.

It went away with the front sprocket recall/replacement. Has your sprocket been replaced?
    I’m at the dealers now. Turns out that BertRemington was correct. It’s alternator noise when engine is at idle. If you rev it up at idle the noise goes away.
    Yes the front sprocket was already changed under the recall.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

You were correct in post 1665813. I’m at the dealers now and they said exactly what you said. All is good and thanks for your help. It’s appreciated very much.
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)