Spyder Garage

Default Do I really need to replace the DESS & ignition for key replacement.- 2014 RT-S?

I received one key with my 2014 RT-S. I've been meaning to get a replacement for a while (four years now).

I was at the dealer Saturday to pick up a few things, and figured I'd ask about a replacement key. They tell me that for 2014 (and 2015 the think) that they can't program in new keys - you have to replace the DESS module AND the ignition. About $250 and comes with two keys. That's just the parts, I didn't bother to ask what they'd charge to install as I'm sure I'd need BUDS to do this myself.

Does this sound right? A search of the internet has proven inconclusive.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No, it doesn’t sound right. Have had a new key cut and programmed by my dealer. Same bike as yours. Go to another dealer! Good luck.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That pile of you-know-what that he just dumped smells all the way to Idaho! Beginning in 2014 ll you need is to buy is a new OEM key, have it cut by a locksmith, and the dealer can then add it to the DESS. Search for program OEM key here in the forum. There are lots of posts about what you need to do. Good luck. Key is about $50. Programming by the dealer is anywhere from $0 to $150 depending on much the dealer likes to gouge their customers.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That pile of you-know-what that he just dumped smells all the way to Idaho! Beginning in 2014 ll you need is to buy is a new OEM key, have it cut by a locksmith, and the dealer can then add it to the DESS. Search for program OEM key here in the forum. There are lots of posts about what you need to do. Good luck. Key is about $50. Programming by the dealer is anywhere from $0 to $150 depending on much the dealer likes to gouge their customers.
    with posters 2 & 3, bunch of Hooey .... However, if you have the opportunity to get the DESS canceled I highly recommend doing it .... Blank keys are like $ 5.00 each, and the DESS problem will be gone ..... Good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

It sounded kinda fishy, and I'm not overly fond of this dealer, but they're the only one close by. Otherwise it's an hour ride to the next one that I know. But if that's what I gotta do.

I've never had the DESS issue in four years now, but I wouldn't mind getting it disabled if there was someone around here that could do it. Though with my impending retirement, I'm considering getting a copy of BUDS myself and going into a side business...
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    It sounded kinda fishy, and I'm not overly fond of this dealer, but they're the only one close by. Otherwise it's an hour ride to the next one that I know. But if that's what I gotta do.

I've never had the DESS issue in four years now, but I wouldn't mind getting it disabled if there was someone around here that could do it. Though with my impending retirement, I'm considering getting a copy of BUDS myself and going into a side business...
    If you do get it that's good but, get it knowing that you can be able to use it on your bike and that if there's any side work then that's great but don't get it planning on doing a lot of work to pay for it as that may never materialize.
    Me I like doing things myself.

Not knowing where central SC is exactly, I will say that there's already a couple of SL members that have them in SC.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I wasn't expecting to make my money back or anything. I'm retiring (again) shortly and if I did anything like that it would be more of a hobby side business to keep me amused and occupied. So far I've done all the work on mine.

Central SC - I m in Columbia, almost the center of the state. I've been on the SC message group here, but not many people admitting to being around here. There was a Midlands chapter of US Spyder Ryders, but it seems it's gone.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I "THINK" I remember reading a previous post sometime ago, about someone in SC that has the Mega Buds System, that they can turn your DESS off??? Several SL members have posted about starting a list of members with the Mega license, but to the best of my knowledge its never happened...Turning this flawed DESS off is a plus in my book...larryd

Spyder Garage

I know of two in SC, one in Gaffney and the other is in Lake Wylie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I "THINK" I remember reading a previous post sometime ago, about someone in SC that has the Mega Buds System, that they can turn your DESS off??? Several SL members have posted about starting a list of members with the Mega license, but to the best of my knowledge its never happened...Turning this flawed DESS off is a plus in my book...larryd
    A list would be very helpful.

Spyder Garage

It was either COG (Concours group) or the STOC (ST owners) site that had a section with a list of people and their locations and what kind of help they could offer. Some people could offer tools and assistance, some had trailers or trucks for towing if needed and some would provide food or a place to stay.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Default Yes you can clone a replacement key

I received one key with my 2014 RT-S. I've been meaning to get a replacement for a while (four years now).

I was at the dealer Saturday to pick up a few things, and figured I'd ask about a replacement key. They tell me that for 2014 (and 2015 the think) that they can't program in new keys - you have to replace the DESS module AND the ignition. About $250 and comes with two keys. That's just the parts, I didn't bother to ask what they'd charge to install as I'm sure I'd need BUDS to do this myself.

My 2021 came with only 1 key . I knew I would lose it because you can't put it in a key ring. So I found a locksmith that ordered keys with a key ring hole that could be cloned! I put my original in a safe place!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dougr View Post
    My 2021 came with only 1 key . I knew I would lose it because you can't put it in a key ring. So I found a locksmith that ordered keys with a key ring hole that could be cloned! I put my original in a safe place!
    Are you sure it works to start the Spyder? From 2014 on no one has been able to clone a chip key that will start the Spyder. Or did things change in 2020 or later? Or was the DESS turned off on your bike. If it was turned off then you don't need a chip key.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-24-2023 at 03:27 PM. Reason: add dess comment

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I got a blank key from Ebay for $25.00. Talked to Redline at Myrtle Beach and said they could program it for $60.00 - $80.00. Most any Hardware store can cut the key. So it appears it will cost me $100.00 +/- plus a ride to the beach. Good luck. I have one key and if I keep putting this off, i will be screwed. I see you are from Central SC. I'm from Chesterfield SC. Maybe if you get blank key we could meet up and ride to Redline.
    Last edited by Leaping1; 09-24-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    I got a blank key from Ebay for $25.00. Talked to Redline at Myrtle Beach and said they could program it for $60.00 - $80.00. Most any Hardware store can cut the key. So it appears it will cost me $100.00 +/- plus a ride to the beach. Good luck. I have one key and if I keep putting this off, i will be screwed. I see you are from Central SC. I'm from Chesterfield SC. Maybe if you get blank key we could meet up and ride to Redline.
    and what is your bike? If it’s a Spyder and not a Ryker (don’t know about Rykers) and it’s 2014 to 2019, it CANNOT be cloned. It must be a chipped key. Ir it is 2020 on up, I don’t know what key they use.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Wahrshuul,

Check this thread:https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Key-code-again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it has a lot of excellent info.

I had a 2014 RTS-SE6 ( Sold) the dealership was giving you , when I had my 2014 RTS-SE 6 I got 2 keys. When I had the D.E.S.S issue they programmed the keys, changed the antenna and the switch , and changed the D.E.S.S. modules plus they gave me a trailer barrel.

No, that does not sound right.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dougr View Post

My 2012 RTS-SE5,( Sold/ Traded) 2014RTS-SE6, ( sold/traded) 2023 F3 LTD Special Series (Current) came with 2 keys.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Q
    and what is your bike? If it’s a Spyder and not a Ryker (don’t know about Rykers) and it’s 2014 to 2019, it CANNOT be cloned. It must be a chipped key. Ir it is 2020 on up, I don’t know what key they use.
    Mine is a 2011 Can Am RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    Mine is a 2011 Can Am RT-S
    I believe that the Spyders prior to 2014 CAN be cloned.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I believe that the Spyders prior to 2014 CAN be cloned.
    Yes they can. Different key security system than 2014 & later.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

PM sent
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

My 2017 RTS came with two keys (and a trailer barrel). Last year I lost one of the keys. Ordered a blank from Can-Am (it was $72.00) and had it cut ($10.00) to match my remaining key. When I bought a Kuhmo rear tire at Coyote Powersports in Boerne, Texas and had them install it, I lucked out and they programmed the key free of charge. When I got home that afternoon, I of course promptly found the missing key. So I'm out $82.00 but now have three keys.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    .... I lucked out and they programmed the key free of charge. When I got home that afternoon, I of course promptly found the missing key. So I'm out $82.00 but now have three keys.
    Yup, that'll do it!

Always the way, innit?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!