Spyder Garage

Default Does the ECU need re-mapping after cat-delete?

There's a thread on fB Can-Am Spyder Owners - Self Service & Technical concerning whether the ECU needs remapping after a cat-delete.
    My understanding it is once it is done, let it idle for 10 minutes or so and it will learn the changes.
    Others say it will run lean and shorten the life of the engine and the ECU must be remapped.

TIA
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2023 at 07:02 PM. Reason: ex
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your ECU will adjust itself to many changes and your cat delete is one of them. Not to worry, enjoy the ride.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    There's a thread on fB Can-Am Spyder Owners - Self Service & Technical concerning wether the ECU needs remapping after a cat-delete.
    My understanding it is once it is done, let it idle for 10 minutes or so and it will learn the changes.
    Others say it will run lean and shorten the life of the engine and the ECU must be remapped.

TIA
    I’m not a mechanic nor a technician, but my RTS is running just fine since I did the cat delete. That’s all that I can say, other than I’m glad that I did it.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

As stated you can just ride with the adaptions that the ECU will make... Will it be the best it can be? NO... But then again, the byke isn't the best it can be from the factory... You would need to remap it for that.... There is a LOT left on the table with these things... Honestly, I didn't think it was worth going from a Stage 1 to Stage 2 but it was NIGHT and DAY different!! As big a difference as going to Stage 1 from stock... ;-)

And don't get confused between the Pedal Box & Pedal Commander vs remapping. They only make changes to the throttle response... Remapping changes A/F and timing, cooling fans state etc as well as throttle changes.... But it is a bit more involved as you will need to remove your ECU and send it out.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oh, and one other thing I didn’t mention.....I bought the cat-delete from LaMonster Garage and they did NOT mention anything about remapping. They started Spyder Lovers and is a highly respected member of this community!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

As long as we're on the subject, I have a 16 RTL I bought with 1200 miles on it. As far as I know it's never been on the BUDS for any updates, other than the DESS disabled. Should I get it in somewhere for updates and will the Pedal Box make any difference if it's hooked up to BUDS? Right now it has around 10.5K on it.
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    As stated you can just ride with the adaptions that the ECU will make... Will it be the best it can be? NO... But then again, the byke isn't the best it can be from the factory... You would need to remap it for that.... There is a LOT left on the table with these things... Honestly, I didn't think it was worth going from a Stage 1 to Stage 2 but it was NIGHT and DAY different!! As big a difference as going to Stage 1 from stock... ;-)

And don't get confused between the Pedal Box & Pedal Commander vs remapping. They only make changes to the throttle response... Remapping changes A/F and timing, cooling fans state etc as well as throttle changes.... But it is a bit more involved as you will need to remove your ECU and send it out.
    Not to high jack this thread, But I bought a used ecu from the same year as my spyder. And was going to have it flashed Stage 1, the service manual says you are supposed to use the buds software any time the ecu is pulled, is that true.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    Not to high jack this thread, But I bought a used ecu from the same year as my spyder. And was going to have it flashed Stage 1, the service manual says you are supposed to use the buds software any time the ecu is pulled, is that true.
    Well, not if you are using the same ECU. But if you are switching between 2 ECU's then yes, the second ECU needs to be "married" to the bike when installed. Switching back and forth between the two requires the same procedure to be done each time as the bike won't recognize the ECU unless you do...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Well, not if you are using the same ECU. But if you are switching between 2 ECU's then yes, the second ECU needs to be "married" to the bike when installed. Switching back and forth between the two requires the same procedure to be done each time as the bike won't recognize the ECU unless you do...
    Thanks for the info, will keep the used one, as a back up, in case mine ever fails
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Simple ANSWER -

No!

Just let it idle for a few minutes.
    AJ
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2023 at 08:26 PM. Reason: W & foe - for ;-)

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Simple ANSWER -

No!

Just let it idle for a few minutes.
    AJ
    So it sounds like it will work swapping the ECU without the Buds
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRick View Post
    So it sounds like it will work swapping the ECU without the Buds
    Dunno if you'll be able to do the change yourself, without any of your mates or the assistance (??) of some Buds but when it comes to BUDS ie, BRP's Unique Diagnostic System.... then it's a definite Nope, it will NOT WORK without BUDS

Just to be absolutely clear, if you're physically changing the ECU to another unit, ie, you're installing a second/alternative ECU with a different ID & Serial Number, then even if that 2nd ECU has got EXACTLY the same tune/set-up as the original (or if it's been updated/upgraded) then you WILL need BUDS to let the rest of the bike's computers know the ID of whichever ECU installed is installed now!

However, if you take your Spyder's existing ECU out & send it off to get its tune upgraded, you won't need to use BUDS when you re-install that same ECU AFTER its upgrade - it's still the same ECU, its ID & Serial Number hasn't changed, just the tune; so you can plug it in, start your Spyder up, let it idle for a little after starting, and then off you go with your new tune on the same/original ECU happily working with everything else, cos it was the last one the system recognized & its ID hasn't changed!

It's ONLY when you actually change the ECU to a different ECU (ie, physically install another black box with a different ID & Serial Number ) that you need BUDS, but then, if you do that, you'll need it EVERY time!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 07:08 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much for making it clear, So I will have the one in it now flashed and keep the used one in case someday I have a failure of the one the bike came with.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010