Spyder Garage

Default Is this Fender Alignment worth worrying? Any fix ideas?

Greetings

I'm the third owner of my Spyder. I've noticed that the fenders don't cover the tires equally, i.e. one fender covers the entire tire; the other leaves .5-.6 inches of tire uncovered. A ruler held vertically next to one tire matches the fender edge perfectly. The other side shows the tire out from the fender and a vertical ruler doesn't touch the fender at all.

The photos do a better job than I can with words. Take a look. (The center photo, right front wheel, is properly aligned I think. First and third are the left side, with tire protruding out past the fender's coverage. Camera angle is sort of wonky but I think it's visible.)

1. Is this worth worrying about? (I do like things rightly done.)
    2. Is this the result of bad wrenching or bad driving, that is, did the driver hit something that knocked one of the fenders out of alignment or did a technician do this, not paying attention or thinking about a hot fudge sundae or the upcoming vacation on the beach?
    3. Whatever the cause, if I do decide I want the left to match the right, can anyone point me in the right direction for fixing this wee problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Columbia; 05-14-2023 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Greetings

I'm the third owner of my Spyder. I've noticed that the fenders don't cover the tires equally, i.e. one fender covers the entire tire; the other leaves .5-.6 inches of tire uncovered. A ruler held vertically naext to one tire matches the fender edge perfectly. The other side shows the tire out from the fender and a vertical ruler doesn't touch the fender at all.

The photos do a better job than I can with words. Take a look. (The center photo, right front wheel, is properly aligned I think. First and third are the left side, with tire protruding out past the fender's coverage. Camera angle is sort of wonky but I think it's visible.)

1. Is this worth worrying about? (I do like things rightly done.)
    2. Is this the result of bad wrenching or bad driving, that is, did the driver hit something that knocked one of the fenders out of alignment or did a technician do this, not paying attention or thinking about a hot fudge sundae or the upcoming vacation on the beach?
    3. Whatever the cause, if I do decide I want the left to match the right, can anyone point me in the right direction for fixing this wee problem?
    It looks like that Fender bracket could be BENT. ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike - Thanks for agreeing that it's out of line. Usually I am the one out of line. It's refreshing to see something doing that.

Is this simply a matter of pulling the fender over to cover the tire/tyre, that is, bend it back to its original location?
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Default Caught a fiche, exploded diagram

I'm guessing the out of alignment parts are #336 and 337 at the bottom of the illustration. The rest of the fender seems to be bolts, nuts, wire and plastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I would prefer not taking the fender off to straighten it. OK to pull/push on the metal frame sections with the fender attached?
    Recommendations??

Spyder Garage

I would prefer not taking the fender off to straighten it. OK to pull/push on the metal frame sections with the fender attached?
    Recommendations??
    I wouldn't leave them mounted!

The risk of terminal breakage is faaaar greater trying to do it in-situ than it is taking them off so that you can hold them securely in the spots you don't want to move and push/pull carefully & gradually only on the bits that need to move/adjust!

Speaking from experience, these little bits of pot-metal tubing that hold the fenders really aren't all that robust!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Ah! The voice of experience!

I could tell (too) many tales of wrenching just a quarter turn too far, or bending a piece of steel past its breaking point, or - - - and so on, ad nauseam.
    I'll see this as a learning opportunity, do some bolt loosening and remove the fender before leaning on it. I've wanted to see the wiring in the fender anyway, so this will give me a chance so to do.

Here's hoping low grade metal will cooperate with a "mechanic" with two left hands. (I'm right-handed.)

Spyder Garage

Recommendations??
    with Peter, the plastic fenders will crack if try it ..... On my 14 RT, I had the same issue, I removed the plastic and " elongated" the mounting holes with a Dremel tool. looks good now .... Good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Some have to do this when they put car tires on, don't they?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Some have to do this when they put car tires on, don't they?
    AT one time I had 185/50 -15 on my 14 RT and it fit in the fender well..... however I had already modified the fender attachment holes to correct mis-aligned brackets ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I guess it's the bracket position as everyone else has suggested.
    Bent bracket, ...... or it's simply loose or even missing some of the mounting bolts?
    And the tyres are a matching pair, I guess?
    Just throwing it out there.

Have you had a look at the mounts? Given it a gentle lift and wobble.

Please remove the fender before attacking the brackets if they are somehow bent, as that is a really good suggestion.

You have said you have a history "too many tales".... of wrecking stuff, I guess with classic rocket arm wrenching.
    If you wanted to go completely over the top, oh so super anal......
    You may wish to obtain an inch pound wrench and apply the correct torques to the items you're fitting.

Reshaping the bracket, well take your time.
    Super XXX L anal would be to remove the bracket completely and then sort it.
    Apply some heat only if necessary.
    Then repaint, leave to dry completely, and then refit.

Before refitting the fender and bracket, you may consider running a tap through all the threads to clean them prior to remounting the bolts.

The bolts could have a few drops of that thread locker stuff, say something like that Locktite 243 Blue to ensure that they stay in place.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 11:13 PM. Reason: of - if + ;-)
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the feedback, each of you.

Re tires. The bike's Kendas (original; manufactured in 2014) didn't align, i.e. one tire was covered by the fender, the other was not.

I've now installed Vredesteins, 175/55X15, and the same applies: one covered completely by the fender, the other, not. (Which I find interesting, considering the added width of the Vredesteins.)

I'm certain the tire is not in play.

I've ridden without complaint but my own since buying the Spyder. The alignment doesn't bother me enough to take the time now, with summer finally showing up, to take the bike out of service for the 3-5 days it would take me to dismantle and repair the fender.

I'm sure others could do it much faster and to them I say "Good on you!" Last time I glanced in a mirror I noticed I'm not "others." I know to avoid wrenching wrongly, I need to work slowly and carefully. It will take me a while to do the job right and I'd rather ride now than wrench on something hurriedly. The fender isn't that high on my priority list and the misalignment doesn't effect safety.

That said, I am grateful for all the suggestions and ideas. While I won't be immediately acting on them, I will retain each for the day I do take the fender off.

Isopedella: thanks for the idea about heating the metal. I hadn't thought of that; perhaps I would have after tearing the fender apart. Perhaps not. Thanks, either way.

I don't know the term "rocket arm wrenching," and didn't know it was "classic," but I can guess as to its meaning. Most of my mishaps have occurred out of ignorance, not malpractice.

I'm a devoted fan of blue Loctite: thanks for the confirmation.

I own but one tap and don't plan on adding to my collection. But if the threads look suspicious I'll not hesitate to buy another.

I believe it was Martin Luther who said "Nothing ages more quickly than gratitude." To be redundant: THANK YOU, gentlemen, all.

Steve
    Last edited by Columbia; 05-14-2023 at 11:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

No worries and well done with the tyres.

It's Summer up your way so I don't blame ya for getting out there and riding.
    PS. I would check it's not loose in the meantime JIC.

Just grab it and gently rock it about.
    If it moves or clunks, I would gently re-tighten the mounts.
    It may fall off, get jammed, or something if its loose.
    Won't get better by itself.

Hell, if you were local, I would be happy to have a squiz at it for you.

THE LONGEST JOURNEY STARTS WITH THE FIRST STEP.... Lao Tzu. Oh so true.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-15-2023 at 11:10 PM. Reason: 's ;-)
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the feedback, each of you.

Re tires. The bike's Kendas (original; manufactured in 2014) didn't align, i.e. one tire was covered by the fender, the other was not.

I've now installed Vredesteins, 175/55X15, and the same applies: one covered completely by the fender, the other, not. (Which I find interesting, considering the added width of the Vredesteins.)

I'm certain the tire is not in play.

I've ridden without complaint but my own since buying the Spyder. The alignment doesn't bother me enough to take the time now, with summer finally showing up, to take the bike out of service for the 3-5 days it would take me to dismantle and repair the fender.

I'm sure others could do it much faster and to them I say "Good on you!" Last time I glanced in a mirror I noticed I'm not "others." I know to avoid wrenching wrongly, I need to work slowly and carefully. It will take me a while to do the job right and I'd rather ride now than wrench on something hurriedly. The fender isn't that high on my priority list and the misalignment doesn't effect safety.

That said, I am grateful for all the suggestions and ideas. While I won't be immediately acting on them, I will retain each for the day I do take the fender off.

Isopedella: thanks for the idea about heating the metal. I hadn't thought of that; perhaps I would have after tearing the fender apart. Perhaps not. Thanks, either way.

I don't know the term "rocket arm wrenching," and didn't know it was "classic," but I can guess as to its meaning. Most of my mishaps have occurred out of ignorance, not malpractice.

I'm a devoted fan of blue Loctite: thanks for the confirmation.

I own but one tap and don't plan on adding to my collection. But if the threads look suspicious I'll not hesitate to buy another.

I believe it was Martin Luther who said "Nothing ages more quickly than gratitude." To be redundant: THANK YOU, gentlemen, all.

Steve
    Thanks for " Thanking people " ...... however I fixed the issue without doing anything to the BRACKETS .... I definitely would NOT try heating them. READ my above post again before you do anything that IMHO could really turn out BAD ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike--

As Tolkien put it: "... so carefully, carefully with the plates!" the dwarfs sang as they cleared Bilbo Baggins' table without a chipped or cracked plate and nary a spill.

I'll be careful with the low-grade metal brace pieces. No heat except for last resort. Enlarging bolt/brace attachment holes? We'll see. (Pardon the pun.)

Steve

Spyder Garage

Mike--

As Tolkien put it: "... so carefully, carefully with the plates!" the dwarfs sang as they cleared Bilbo Baggins' table without a chipped or cracked plate and nary a spill.

I'll be careful with the low-grade metal brace pieces. No heat except for last resort. Enlarging bolt/brace attachment holes? We'll see. (Pardon the pun.)

Steve
    NO !!!!! ..... what I enlarged / elongated were the holes INSIDE the fender , where the fender attaches to the metal bracket .....; go look at a FICHE' ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing that one of the previous owners removed the fenders for some reason. If so, it is just a matter of re-adjusting the fender. There are 4 bolts holding the fender to the wheel, just loosen them so you can adjust the fender to its proper position.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2023 at 03:24 PM. Reason: it ;-)
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Well, LongIsland, I hope you are among the prophets!