Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RT rear tire change cost - did I over-pay?

i just had to put a new back tire on my 21 RT. the tire cost was $188.00 for the tire, which i didn't think was too bad, but the cost to have it mounted balanced and installed was over $500 dollars! And I only got 13000 miles out of the original tire. Does all of this seem normal or did I over pay?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2023 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    just got my spyder the end of march and loving it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That rear tire cost you over .05 cents a mile, "THATS 2 MUCH" in MHO!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabikerguy View Post
    i just had to put a new back tire on my 21 RT. the tire cost was $188.00 for the tire, which i didn't think was too bad, but the cost to have it mounted balanced and installed was over $500 dollars! And I only got 13000 miles out of the original tire. Does all of this seem normal or did I over pay?
    Are you saying you bought the new tyre yourself and then took it and your Spyder to a CanAm dealer to have your rear wheel removed, the new tyre installed and then the wheel/tyre reinstalled, dabiker?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The mileage is about right. The price is way too much.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You paid waaayy too much. If the tire was $188 it was probably a Kenda. And the labor was really overpriced. Next time buy a car tire that will last a lot longer than the inferior Kenda and find a dealer that will mount it. Many dealers will not mount a car tire but some will.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I had my dealer mount a tire that I bought from Tire Rack. They charged me $108 to do the full job. So yes you were severely overcharged.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I just got a General Altramax for $110, had it broken down, mounted, and balanced for$ 30, and took it off and put it back on myself! I will say that every time I remove that tire from the bike, I fight to get my belt alignment and tension back to where I want it, but it's worth it in the long run. Oh, and while I was there, I put a set of EBC pads on and a rotor!! So, I am ready for some miles of fun!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2023 at 12:18 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes indeed, you did pay too much, in my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Mikey-this is exactly what I have done for the rear tires as well.... I was a bit apprehensive at first... had a lil trouble with the actuator on the parking brake-pads, no problem... I also adjusted the belt alignment with bike jacked up and running the rear tire - I used the Krikit for belt tension with the tire on the ground...
    And of course, the ultimate lil worry when the codes flashed to reset the Nanny.... all in all, well worth the bit-o-struggle to learn... I also gained a 36 mm socket and nice torque wrench in the deal.... We have two RT's, a 12 and a 14... In addition to watching many YouTubes and conversations on Spyderlovers, I was able to accomplish both rear tire exchanges...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2023 at 12:21 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I just got a General Altramax for $110, had it broken down, mounted, and balanced for $30, and took it off and put it back on myself! I will say that every time I remove that tire from the bike, I fight to get my belt alignment and tension back to where I want it, but it's worth it in the long run. Oh, and while I was there, I put a set of EBC pads on and a rotor!! So, I am ready for some miles of fun!
    This is a great deal!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2023 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer a while back they said 400,00 to replace rear tire with one that I bought with me when I said I was supplying the tire he repeated 400 he also told me 40.00 per rim to replace the front tires if I took them off and bought them to them. Wow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I just got a General Altramax for $110, had it broken down, mounted, and balanced for$ 30, and took it off and put it back on myself! I will say that every time I remove that tire from the bike, I fight to get my belt alignment and tension back to where I want it, but it's worth it in the long run. Oh, and while I was there, I put a set of EBC pads on and a rotor!! So, I am ready for some miles of fun!
    I have done quite a few REAR tire changes.... If you remove the shock BOLT, when you put it back on the settings remain the same, as long as the axle is pulled tight up to the swingarm.... good luck... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)