Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is the base F3 the sportiest model?

I'll be finally giving up my beloved Honda CBR500R in a few months for a Spyder, and I want to get the sportiest model available, as I am used to sport bikes. Looks like the base model F3, no saddlebags or extras, fits the bill. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Brian
    In sunny Tucson
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I'll be finally giving up my beloved Honda CBR500R in a few months for a Spyder, and I want to get the sportiest model available, as I am used to sport bikes. Looks like the base model F3, no saddlebags or extras, fits the bill. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Brian
    In sunny Tucson
    " sportiest " .... could be .... it's the lightest F-3 ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Lighter=faster, so I'm on the right track. I also like the bare bones, sleet, uncomplicated styling. It looks more aggressive. I thought I also read somewhere it has a larger rear sprocket for faster acceleration. Is that a myth?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ryker Rally would be the sportiest because of it's dirt capabilities.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I considered the Ryker models briefly, but ultimately rejected them, as they have a smaller engine, (for the same gas mileage!) and I don't want a CVT transmission. I really like the 6 speed semi-auto.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " sportiest " .... could be .... it's the lightest F-3 ..... good luck .... Mike

Looking at the F3 specs the base F3 comes in at $18,499 Going up to the S model, they want $20,999. For the extra $2.5K you get two more color choices, stronger shocks, a bigger dash display, and an uninstalled passenger seat.

All the other models are decked out with saddlebags and/or trunks. So, if you want lightest, the base is the way to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I considered the Ryker models briefly, but ultimately rejected them, as they have a smaller engine, (for the same gas mileage!) and I don't want a CVT transmission. I really like the 6 speed semi-auto.
    The 900 is no slouch and with being able to run dirt roads and turn off the traction control on the dirt roads, and fly on pavement too; some people like that. The F3 and Rt are more suited for just pavement (my type of riding).
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Looking at the F3 specs the base F3 comes in at $18,499 Going up to the S model, they want $20,999. For the extra $2.5K you get two more color choices, stronger shocks, a bigger dash display, and an uninstalled passenger seat.

All the other models are decked out with saddlebags and/or trunks. So, if you want lightest, the base is the way to go.
    The extra scratch for the s model isn't worth it in my opinion. I have built out my base F3 with wilber shocks, baja ron sway bar, corbin dual touring seat, and tires which are a hell of a lot better than the ones included with the s models. And with more farkles than you can shake a stick at and it still comes in cheaper than doing the same thing with a s model without the farkels. But I also got lucky and bought one right before they got popular during the pandemic. I was able to get my 2020 base f3 during Feb. of 2021 brand new on the lot for 15,100 and was delivered to my house 5 days after I bought it. It's a pipe dream to think about that even happening now.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 05-12-2023 at 04:14 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    ....It's a pipe dream to think about that even happening now.
    As the economy gets worse and interest rates rise, I think more and more people will put off the purchase of recreational vehicles, and it might help my chances of getting a deal. What do you think?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-23-2023 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

The F3s has 10hp more thrust.hidesbehindsofa.gif
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    The F3s has 10hp more thrust.hidesbehindsofa.gif
    That's all I needed to hear! SOLD!

Spyder Garage

That's all I needed to hear! SOLD!
    Your welcome 10X and we want a pic or two if your feeling up to it.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Also the F3S has cruise control as standard. I believe the base F3 does not.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Your welcome 10X and we want a pic or two if your feeling up to it.
    I'm saving up right now. I was intending on making a purchase in September. I was going to sell my CBR in August. However, I just saw an ad with a dealer 100 miles to the North for $16,999, so....

Spyder Garage

F3-S Special Series....... bought new in 2019. Ordered it and waited 2 months before it was delivered.

Plenty fast, handles great, has cruise.

It was what I wanted and I can't take the money with me when I go.

Little extra cost, but it was the one I wanted.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I got a 2022 F3 base for $16400 give or take about two weeks ago. I love it. Plenty zippy for me. Brand new still in the crate as well.
    2022 F3 Base , Gloss Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zune View Post
    I got a 2022 F3 base for $16400 give or take about two weeks ago. I love it. Plenty zippy for me. Brand new still in the crate as well.
    I saw a 2022 F3 base for sale today in Phoenix for $16499, but I called too late. SOLD.

I wonder is this recession will have fewer people buying motorcycles, and dealers will be lowering prices? A guy can dream I guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    The 900 is no slouch and with being able to run dirt roads and turn off the traction control on the dirt roads, and fly on pavement too; some people like that. The F3 and Rt are more suited for just pavement (my type of riding).
    40 % of my everyday riding is on " dirt " roads .... I have no issues doing this with my 2014 RT ..... Mike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Also the F3S has cruise control as standard. I believe the base F3 does not.
    That is the one major difference, but supposedly you can buy a right hand control unit for the S model with the cruise control on it, plug it in, and it will work on a Base model F3. $274 at the Can-Am website.

I have been told by a couple of S drivers that you supposedly can't tow anything with the sprocket setup on the sport models. I don't know if this is true or not, maybe someone else can confirm this?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2023 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    That is the one major difference, but supposedly you can buy a right hand control unit for the S model with the cruise control on it, plug it in, and it will work on a Base model F3. $274 at the Can-Am website.

I have been told by a couple of S drivers that you supposedly can't tow anything with the sprocket setup on the sport models. I don't know if this is true or not, maybe someone else can confirm this?
    You mean you're being told that you can't tow anything on those models that have the same Sprocket set-up as just about EVERY Spyder sold outside of North America??? I wonder what they base that advice on??

I'm sure that'll be somewhat of a surprise to all the Spyder owners in Australia, New Zealand, around the South Pacific, and throughout Europe who DO tow quite successfully with that same Sprocket set-up as the F3-S's!?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-13-2023 at 08:28 AM. Reason: advice... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The F3S has the 89t rear pulley which gives quicker acceleration. I believe the base model is still 79t. The F3S offers over the base:
    1.) 89t rear pulley
    2.) Upgraded shocks
    3.) Cruise control
    4.) Upgraded dash display
    5.) Sport mode (better burn outs and drifting )
    6.) Passenger seat

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

The smaller sprocket intrigues me. Faster acceleration at the expense of top end. I wonder what it is like in the real world?

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker vs F3

I traded my 2018 Ryker Rally in on my 2020 F3L. So the F3L is NOT the sportiest but I got it for touring. The Ryker, while a blast on dirt roads in TX, was not, IMHO, great for the open highway. I love the CVT on my Vespa, no so much on the Ryker. However, the power from the 900 in the light Ryker was great. Turn off the Nanny and it was a hooligan!
    And BTW, I've listed my F3L for sale for $19,995.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

The smaller sprocket intrigues me. Faster acceleration at the expense of top end. I wonder what it is like in the real world?
    If your talking ....REAR sprocket .... the larger one is quicker ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yeah, larger rear makes for quicker acceleration at the expense of top end. On nearly every motorcycle I've owned, I've gone down in the rear sprocket for more moderate rpms on the freeway.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 06:17 AM. Reason: revised non-family friendly comment! :-/