Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CODE ... P0171 .... What does this mean - contd.

About a month ago, I got the LIMP HOME MODE ( Orange large screen ) also small engine flashing upper right corner of display , plus orange screen w/ eng icom where the miles are .... didn't affect the operation or performance .... I didn't know how to retrieve codes, but I learned how from another member .... I now have code P0171, does anyone know what this means ??? .....Thanks ....Mike ............Well I just restarted the bike and checked for that code ... zip, nada , nothing showing ..... I know codes dis-appear except for BUDS ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-12-2023 at 12:46 PM.

Spyder Garage
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    About a month ago, I got the LIMP HOME MODE ( Orange large screen ) also small engine flashing upper right corner of display , plus orange screen w/ eng icom where the miles are .... didn't affect the operation or performance .... I didn't know how to retrieve codes, but I learned how from another member .... I now have code P0171, does anyone know what this means ??? .....Thanks ....Mike ............Well I just restarted the bike and checked for that code ... zip, nada , nothing showing ..... I know codes dis-appear except for BUDS ..... Mike
    I had similar about a month ago. I do NOT know what the code means. That is above my paygrade. I did NOT get a Limp Mode...on mine that is a "red" engine light. I did get the "orange" engine light and it stayed on for the next 100 miles. Manual said...it had to do with an "emission" system warning. It did NOT seem to effect the operation of the Syder. I also had a bad battery...from lack of use, no intermediate charging, and age (it was new in 2019). I changed out the battery, and the Spyder has started just like new ever since. Filling up the tank with fresh gas, caused the orange engine light to go out in about 10 miles. Since then, I have not had any issues.

Not your exact symptoms, or the answer to your code request...but maybe...it will also be helpful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks .... I read all the posts, this was occurring on " V-twin engines " and the remedies' , I doubt apply to my 1330 engine ..... Bike runs fine ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lean right bank. Mine was a cracked or faulty piece of hose. It occurred around 1500 miles. The warranty covered it. I guess it was an easy fix. It was not an uncommon issue on the 14s according to the tech.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 05-12-2023 at 02:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

A search show's some of these things could be the cause,

P0171 is a lean code caused by a vacuum leak, mass airflow failure, faulty PCV valve, or low fuel pressure.

I would start by checking all of the vacuum hoses.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    A search show's some of these things could be the cause,

P0171 is a lean code caused by a vacuum leak, mass airflow failure, faulty PCV valve, or low fuel pressure.

I would start by checking all of the vacuum hoses.
    Thanks ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Blueknight911 I had out my manual for my 2020 and saw this code P0171 so I thought I'd post this just in case. it came back.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Spyder Garage

Blueknight911 I had out my manual for my 2020 and saw this code P0171 so I thought I'd post this just in case. it came back.
    Thanks K80. .... yes it has happened a few more times .... it occurs when I'm in the twistie's and really hammering it. .... I doesn't affect performance ( at least I can't feel it ) .... I also got a code P0000 ... If I shut the motor off ... it goes away until I push the motor the motor again .... I'm going to try a NonEthyl Gas flush the nextime I need gas,. also going to use some HEET treatment .... ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Have you ever changed your filter?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks K80. .... yes it has happened a few more times .... it occurs when I'm in the twistie's and really hammering it. .... I doesn't affect performance ( at least I can't feel it ) .... I also got a code P0000 ... If I shut the motor off ... it goes away until I push the motor the motor again .... I'm going to try a NonEthyl Gas flush the nextime I need gas,. also going to use some HEET treatment .... ..... Mike
    Yep it would make sense considering the lean fuel warning and that the fuel correction is maxed out. Sounds like a case of bad fuel. If there is a lot left in there I would be siphoning it out through a tube and not running it through the engine. Who knows what is in it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

The P0000 should not be showing according to anything I can find. The service manual does not even show it.
    Doing a Google search shows that it is nothing, but why it shows is beyond me. Maybe someone with the buds/buds2 will chime in with more relative info.

Spyder Garage

Default code P0171

Mike it was asked but not answered, when did you last change your gas in line filter????
    EVER???

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

74,000 + miles .... so I'll be doing that also .... ThANKS ....mIKE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

74,000 + miles .... so I'll be doing that also .... ThANKS ....mIKE
    Be sure to replace it with high pressure hose clamps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Believe the clamps come with the new filter.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The P0000 should not be showing according to anything I can find. The service manual does not even show it.
    Doing a Google search shows that it is nothing, but why it shows is beyond me. Maybe someone with the buds/buds2 will chime in with more relative info.
    P0000 means No codes found it applied to OBDII on certain cars and trucks, don't know if it applies to spyders but searching also found P0000 on a spyder went away with changing the battery out.

How old is the battery?
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 05-23-2023 at 06:13 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    P0000 means No codes found it applied to OBDII on certain cars and trucks, don't know if it applies to spyders but searching also found P0000 on a spyder went away with changing the battery out.

How old is the battery?
    2 years old .... I don't keep it on a maintainer, because I ride most everyday during riding season ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Code po171 .....contd.

I reported on this awhile back ...... starting shortly after I got this code my Gas mileage has increased .... 2 mpg .... I'm anal about filling gas tank and might be 1 to 2 oz. different, occasionally..... I can't account for this increase other than that code ... what do you think.....Thanks ....Mike

Spyder Garage

I reported on this awhile back ...... starting shortly after I got this code my Gas mileage has increased .... 2 mpg .... I'm anal about filling gas tank and might be 1 to 2 oz. different, occasionally..... I can't account for this increase other than that code ... what do you think.....Thanks ....Mike
    I think there's a good possibility that you've had an unfortunate gas pump error, where whoever was pumping gas before you had selected a grade with higher % of ethanol & however much was still in the pump hose got dumped in with yours - **possibly**!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2023 at 02:50 AM. Reason: .

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    I think there's a good possibility that you've had an unfortunate gas pump error, where whoever was pumping gas before you had selected a grade with higher % of ethanol & however much was still in the pump hose got dumped in with yours - **possibly**!
    I have never seen a gas pump in Vermont with more than 10% ethanol in it ..... I always get gas with 10% ethanol, .... currently my P-0171 code is re-occurring during almost every ride......Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2023 at 02:51 AM. Reason: bride ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have never seen a gas pump in Vermont with more than 10% ethanol in it ..... I always get gas with 10% ethanol, .... currently my P-0171 code is re-occurring during almost every ride......Mike
    Do you run whatever your 'standard' grade of gas is over there too, Mike?? I think over there it's labelled AKI 87 (??) & can have varying levels of Ethanol in it?? I know there are some over there who run 87 all the time, and claim to never have any issues with it, so I hafta ask... What grade of gas do you run??

Here in Oz, we have 91 RON ULP as our 'standard' grade; the next level up is Premium grade 95 RON; then there's Ultra, which is 98 RON - the labels they get called may change a little depending upon which petroleum company is supplying the gas or what retailer is selling it, but they all basically have those same Octane levels - 91; 95; or 98 RON, and they can all come with a mandated 'less than 10% Ethanol'; or various levels/% of Ethanol that are permitted to be greater than 10% only if labelled accordingly, right up to 85% Ethanol!!

But the Ethanol bit aside, our lowest grade of gas, or the standard/basic ULP that's available here is that 91 RON, which I believe is pretty similar to your US 87 AKI gas; and here in Oz, owners of Spyders, especially those with ECU Upgrades, are told that they should always run 'Premium' or better gas, not just the basic ULP, and never more than 10% Ethanol - which for us means we need to run 95 or 98 RON with less than 10% Ethanol I have an ECU Upgrade and I rarely ever run less than 95 RON, using an Octane booster if I can only get Standard ULP, AND I ride less vigourously than I do/can when running 95 or 98, but that's just me.

Still, the point of all this is that I'm wondering, is this one of the first incidences being reported here of a Spyder having 'issues' stemming from it being run regularly on less than 'Premium' gas, even if it is only a code so far?? I shouldn't THINK it's that, cos the ECU computer should easily be able to compensate for the lower Octane gas, even if it is at the cost of a miniscule loss of power/tiny gain in fuel economy, buuut...

Ps: Just another thoughty - running lower Octane gas in an engine that CAN compensate for it usually means that you'll get better milage out of it, cos amongst some other esoteric bunf, the lower octane stuff is usually more 'thermally efficient' than the higher octane versions... was that 2mpg better, that you said earlier??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2023 at 04:06 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!