Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

It's all perception. And an inaccurate one at that. I can still ride 2 wheels. I've got a Suzuki M109R sitting at home. I love that bike! But my Spyder is every bit as much fun as that bike. Just different fun.

Get past your unfounded insecurities and you'll be on your way to one of the best rides on the planet.

Good Luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post

Its so hard.
    I've been on motorcycles for 35 years. I don't consider myself a particularly great rider, but I get by.
    In 2020, I had a back operation, and now my legs are a little weak from nerve damage, and I don't balance as well as most people.

With age, I'm also not as fearless as I once was.

I also take longer to heal.

My reaction time is not as fast, and my hearing and eyesight not as acute.

I usually ride every day to work. I spend all my down time researching three wheeled alternatives, mostly the Can-Am Spyder.

Then I start up my sweetheart after work. My beloved CBR500R.

And I change my mind. I don't have to give up motorcycles. This is the best (well, nearly the best) feeling in the world. I twist the throttle and I'm going to live forever.

Then some Prius cuts me off, a gust of wind catches me by surprise at a light, or my left foot slips on an invisible patch of gravel.

Then I'm home back on CycleTrader looking at Spyders again

But, I feel so......weak, as a man, to go from 2 to three wheels. What kind of weak, limp-wristed coward am I ?

I have to give it more time. I can do this. I can still ride. Or can I ?

Comments, of any kind, are welcome.

Brian
    In sunny Tucson
    You are the kind of limp-wristed coward who makes sensible decisions. So am I. So are 99% of the people on this board. We are the kind of people who don't want our love of motorcycling to end in an early grave.
    Chip

Spyder Garage

Chip, you said it. I think you nailed it, and I appreciate the brutal honesty. I'll be joining you on three wheels, brother!

Spyder Garage

When I picture myself on a Spyder, this image comes to mind:
    The picture is wrong. Spyder has two wheels in the front. The rig you are showing is way to easy to tip over.

Each person has their own mind to make up concerning Spyder or no Spyder. You will have to make your own decision. A two page argument for or against is not going to change your mind. Based on your many posts, I think your mind is already made up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm doing it. Just a matter of money now.

Spyder Garage

A different perspective here - I went in on the Spyder because I thought it was my next big adventure. My wife and I tour once or twice a year a week to 10 days at a time. And I ride to work every chance I get. No issues with the Victory we owned previous to the Spyder. No issues with me riding the big Vic - no health issues, fear, etc. I rode my sister's F3 a few years back and thought - this is cool! Saved up my nickels and dimes, and went all in. No regrets at all. Own it - my buddies all give me heck, but I give it right back. All good natured, but even if it wasn't, its MY ride. I'm having a blast and loving each ride I get on this machine. Some say its nowhere near a 2 wheeled experience, but to me, I am in the wind and down the road, just like before (with a little more storage, and a lot more comfort!).
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2023 at 04:28 PM. Reason: .
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster72 View Post
    A different perspective here - I went in on the Spyder because I thought it was my next big adventure. My wife and I tour once or twice a year a week to 10 days at a time. And I ride to work every chance I get. No issues with the Victory we owned previous to the Spyder. No issues with me riding the big Vic - no health issues, fear, etc. I rode my sister's F3 a few years back and thought - this is cool! Saved up my nickels and dimes, and went all in. No regrets at all. Own it - my buddies all give me heck, but I give it right back. All good natured, but even if it wasn't, its MY ride. I'm having a blast and loving each ride I get on this machine. Some say its nowhere near a 2 wheeled experience, but to me, I am in the wind and down the road, just like before (with a little more storage, and a lot more comfort!).
    On the road, and in the wind. That's what I need to enjoy life. Spyder F3, I think. Closest to a sporty model they have.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-22-2023 at 04:37 PM. Reason: But avatars like that & NSFW comments are against the Forum Rules! :-/

Spyder Garage

My first three wheeler was going from a 2017 Harley Ultra to a 2020 RTL. When I was riding it back home the 260 miles, I thought that I made one of the biggest mistakes. All the time I felt like I was sitting on top of the bike and not in it like my Harley. Like many, it took about 1000 miles before I became more comfortable with the bike and it's different riding. I now have a 2022 F3 Limited Special and now I feel more in the bike and more fun riding it. I can take curves faster and don't feel like bike wants to throw me off. More like a two wheeler feel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    My first three wheeler was going from a 2017 Harley Ultra to a 2020 RTL. When I was riding it back home the 260 miles, I thought that I made one of the biggest mistakes. All the time I felt like I was sitting on top of the bike and not in it like my Harley. Like many, it took about 1000 miles before I became more comfortable with the bike and it's different riding. I now have a 2022 F3 Limited Special and now I feel more in the bike and more fun riding it. I can take curves faster and don't feel like bike wants to throw me off. More like a two wheeler feel.
    For me, at this stage of my life, with my back and leg problems, motorcycles have become a double-edged sword. On one hand, they excite and exhilarate me, and keep my mind focused like a laser beam, on the other hand, I'm in constant fear of dropping my bike or getting in an accident, and I rarely ever get to truly relax for more than a few seconds at a time.

Spyder Garage

I've been riding motorcycles since 1973. My last motorcycle was a Harley Ultra Limited. Health reasons dictated that I could no longer continue safely on 2 wheels, so I sold my Harley 3 years ago and bought a 2022 Spyder RTL last November. It is the best feeling in the world to be able to do something I never thought I would do again.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

I've been riding motorcycles since 1973. My last motorcycle was a Harley Ultra Limited. Health reasons dictated that I could no longer continue safely on 2 wheels, so I sold my Harley 3 years ago and bought a 2022 Spyder RTL last November. It is the best feeling in the world to be able to do something I never thought I would do again. And no, I don't consider myself "limp wristed".
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Well, I'm sold. Now I just have to rob my 401K, or save a couple more months.

Spyder Garage

Howdy do

Long time m.c rider. But at 78 the challenge of picking up my feet and legs [two hip replacements a few years back] while stopped, and keeping the bike upright using those same appendages, all became too much for me. It was clear about a year ago that I had to find an alternative, or quit riding.

I knew that a Can-Am would be my "forever" bike, but the cost of a new one was out of reach back then. The 2020 Spyder RTLtd caught my eye at a RideNow Powersports near me in Feb of this year. My wife and I sat down with sales and finance, and we made a deal we could live with.

What's the big deal? Only one thing: PUSH the grip with the outside palm when turning. That's it. I slipped into that bike like a hand into a glove.

We just got back from a 1,000 mile round trip from Phoenix to Kanab, UT. We took in Marble Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Kaibab Mountains, Zion National Park, Glen Canyon and Lake Powell, and home. My wife is joining up with a ladies' single ride over that same route later this year. We made the trip to get her comfortable to take this big trike. She drove probably 700 of those miles. She had no problem at all. Twisties, steep curves over poorly crowned roads, the works. She had no problem.

She is scheduled for the MSF Trike course in two weeks. She already did the expert rider course on her 2017 Honda Rebel 500.

I have no more anxiety about her being on this trike.

Therefor, for us, it really amounted to the Nike catch phrase: JUST DO IT.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

I dont call my F3 my Mobility Scooter for nothing.

I'm old with a beaten up body and carry some permanent injuries, had licenses and bikes right through since the 70's.

A bit cranky if anything.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-12-2023 at 12:15 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary reference. this is a family friendly site.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I'm a bit cranky myself. Comes with the territory at my age, I guess!

Spyder Garage

Brian,

You're gonna do fine with a Spyder. I too had to transition from 2 wheels to 3 back in 2020. Bought our Spyder RTL on October 7th, 2020, and 2 days later my wife and I took off on a 1500 mile ride through Northern Arizona, Utah, Nevada. The first 2 days I literally thought I had made a big mistake by purchasing it. I was worn out. I had fought it like a bear. The evening of that 2nd day of the trip, I called CRuiserJoe from here on the Forum, and explained how I was worn out. He instructed me to get very light with my grip on the bars, and let the bike track where it wants to. He assured me it wasn't going to randomly make a hard right or left like I was feeling it would. The advice changed everything. The rest of the trip i worked on being easy with the grips, and by the end of the 1500 miles I loved the dang thing, and have ever since.
    You're gonna most likely experience that too. But you'll do fine.
    As far as feeling like less of a man by being on 3 wheels, well, I can't help you with that one. I'm not a guy that lets my toys dictate whether i feel like a real man or not. Being self sufficient, being a good husband, father, and patriarch for my family is usually what ties into the real man feeling stuff for me.

So, I say, dive into it!! Life is lived best when trying new experiences!!

Welcome to forum.

Big Lenny

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigLenny View Post
    Brian,

You're gonna do fine with a Spyder. I too had to transition from 2 wheels to 3 back in 2020. Bought our Spyder RTL on October 7th, 2020, and 2 days later my wife and I took off on a 1500 mile ride through Northern Arizona, Utah, Nevada. The first 2 days I literally thought I had made a big mistake by purchasing it. I was worn out. I had fought it like a bear. The evening of that 2nd day of the trip, I called CRuiserJoe from here on the Forum, and explained how I was worn out. He instructed me to get very light with my grip on the bars, and let the bike track where it wants to. He assured me it wasn't going to randomly make a hard right or left like I was feeling it would. The advice changed everything. The rest of the trip i worked on being easy with the grips, and by the end of the 1500 miles I loved the dang thing, and have ever since.
    You're gonna most likely experience that too. But you'll do fine.
    As far as feeling like less of a man by being on 3 wheels, well, I can't help you with that one. I'm not a guy that lets my toys dictate whether i feel like a real man or not. Being self sufficient, being a good husband, father, and patriarch for my family is usually what ties into the real man feeling stuff for me.

So, I say, dive into it!! Life is lived best when trying new experiences!!

Welcome to forum.

Big Lenny
    [B]Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe if I strap on my side arm.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-12-2023 at 12:27 PM. Reason: removed reference. this is a family friendly site.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I dont call my F3 my Mobility Scooter for nothing.

I'm old with a beaten up body and carry some permanent injuries, had licenses and bikes right through since the 70's.

A bit cranky if anything.
    My RT frequently gets referred to as "My High-Speed Mobility Scooter!"
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-12-2023 at 12:17 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Wink Brutal (?) Honesty

Chip, you said it. I think you nailed it, and I appreciate the brutal honesty. I'll be joining you on three wheels, brother!
    U R very welcome. I really didn't mean to be brutal. Emails often come out harsher than intended.
    Chip
    2020 Spyder RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"

Spyder Garage

I rode for over 55 years.
    Issues with my left hand and a low speed balance problem caused me to park my almost two years ago. ( plus misspent youth)
    A friend suggested to try a Spyder.
    Took a two hour introductory last year and had a blast.
    Sold my two wheeler this year.
    Get my new Ryker in July.
    When I was two or three, my first bike had three wheels, looks like my last will too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2023 at 07:25 PM. Reason: tow - two ;-)

Spyder Garage

I see I can't type or spell today, need more coffee.

Spyder Garage

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
    We come into this world bald and can't walk. As I get older, I get closer to where I started.

Spyder Garage

Went through the same thing. Had to give up my CTX700 when even that got too heavy for my legs. You may not enjoy riding the Spyder as much as the two-wheeler. I certainly don't. But its way better than not riding at all.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    .....But its way better than not riding at all.
    And one hell of a lot more fun than falling off and dropping a bike on my leg, and not being able get out from under it, let alone pick it it! (again)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-23-2023 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Been there. Never fun. Last time it took two people to get the bike off my leg. That was my sign that the time had come to make a real shift in my thinking.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray