Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Your opinion on iMotorsports?

I am strongly considering a Can Am Spyder after riding motorcycles for 35 years, and finding it harder to balance. Close calls are getting all too frequent.

I saw iMotorsports talked about favorably on this forum, and I was looking for a few more opinions on them. I was looking to buy online and having my new bike shipped (free?) to Arizona. Is it true they don't charge excessive dealer fees like everyone else?

Was it an easy transaction? Fast delivery ? No surprises?

And if anyone from Arizona is on this board, how difficult is it to register an out of state vehicle? I think its 8.6% rip off sales tax here.

Thanks for your opinions!

Brian
    In sunny Tucson[
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2023 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Removed big blocks of colour to allow reading by all...

Spyder Garage

Well I have purchased 2 Spyder's from them and both times I had a trade-in. I was happy with the trade-in value both times and they delivered and picked up my trade free both times. The last time I dealt with them was back in 2018 and they were very easy to deal with. I've heard some negative comments recently about not getting back via phone call. Give them a try as you don't have to buy from them and see how it goes. Good luck.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Do they charge excessive dealer fees? And there is no apostrophe in Spyders, but I'm a grammar nazi.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2023 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Removed big blocks of colour to allow reading by all...

Spyder Garage

Brian,

Greetings from sunny Sedona where we have 10% sales tax!

I can't answer all your questions but can give you a few thoughts. I bought my 2017 RT-S from iMotorsports and did have some issues, although after 5 years I have tried to get past it. The sales guy was not the most responsive. I also had some issues with the Finance folks so just decided to pay cash for it. The delivery was free, but it took WEEKS beyond what I was told it would take to actually get it. It's a long distance from their place to AZ so you have to wait for them to have a truck heading in our direction. I can't remember their fees and it's been long enough that I am sure things have changed. None if it matters once you take possession of the Spyder and start enjoying it. (All of that being said, I just had a very positive interaction with Thomas Palmer in Finance there with buying an extended warranty for my 2021 RT)

As for registration, they provided me with temp tags which, unfortunately, had expired by the time they arrived. Dealing with ADOT (I believe I used one of their approved independents) to get it formally registered in AZ was no problem at all. Just paying that darned 10% tax really hurts!

Warren

Spyder Garage

10% sales tax? Must be why only rich people live in Sedona!

I currently ride a Honda CBR500R and it took a week and a half to get it delivered from 450 miles North of me. THAT was torture, so the long wait might be a deal breaker. I might see if one of my local dealers will work with me if I tell them how much I want to buy from them and lay it on thick.

That is, of course, after I sell the Honda and accumulate a small pile of cash. Or the other way around. That Spyder is a tad more expensive than the average bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2023 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Removed big blocks of colour to allow reading by all...

Spyder Garage

brian10x, for me your posts are hard to read because of the blue color font.
    Not sure if it's just me or what.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Its probably the blue font. Duly noted and corrected as necessary.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2023 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Removed big blocks of colour to allow reading by all...

Spyder Garage

Things may not be the same now, but when I bought my (New, leftover) 2017 RT-S in July 2018, I was very pleased with the whole process. I traded in my 2013 RT-L, told them what I would like to get for it, and they agreed, no problem. The paperwork, got done really quickly, and I was lucky that a truck was coming my way early the following week. They showed up on the promised day, albeit at 11:45pm. The driver unloaded the new one, loaded the trade-in, and away he went. Of course, I stayed up all night fooling with it, being a new toy and all, installed a Wolo Bad Boy horn-my first farke!- and as soon as the sun came up I was out of the garage like a Derby winner out of the gate. Also bought the 3 year B.E.S.T warranty from them in 2020 for $671.00. I would buy from them again.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

3 year extended warranty for $671.00 (if most things are covered) is a smoking deal.

And if I were a WOLO bad boy, I'd stay up all night as well.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2023 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Removed big blocks of colour to allow reading by all...

Spyder Garage

I purchased a new 2022 and the prices for the new machine and trade of my 2014 were very good. Follow up after the sale was poor. I’ve had to take the spyder to my local dealer after numerous issues were not addressed prior to shipping that I explicitly asked to have done before it came to me. Personally the amount of savings I think I may have gotten were more than wasted with my time and effort to get things fixed, so next time I will buy local. Others have had no issues as you have stated, but wanted to throw my experience out there.
    Last edited by Brentc; 05-09-2023 at 07:30 PM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Similar to ExRocket in post #2.

I have purchased two Spyders from iMotorsports also. I dealt with them in both 2020 and 2021. I was very pleased with both of my deals. I also had trade-ins. I negotiated what were good prices for both of my purchases. Delivery was in a couple weeks after they received the payment. I paid cash for both my vehicles. I registered both vehicles in AR when they arrived, and yes, I had to pay AR sales tax on them.

I too have heard other reports since that time. The two things that stand out for me is failure to return phone calls, and not as good on deals these days. In both cases, I did NOT buy an extended warranty. They do have one of the lowest prices for that. Warranty is now gone on both my machines, but happily none have needed special repairs. Lamonster Garage has done most of my oil change services and replaced tires when needed.

For me, there were no ugly surprises. Everything was as they said it would be.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-10-2023 at 11:51 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have you checked out this 2020 RTL for sale on the For Sale By Owner on this forum.
    He is in Arizona.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...020-RTL-Chrome
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2014 RTS from Imotorsports in 2019.

Not a bad transaction overall, but I don't think I'd do it again. They seemed to have trouble getting me everything because I was doing my own financing. I had to call back several times, and email paperwork back and forth.

The tryke arrived much faster than expected - they said it might be 2-3 weeks, but within a few days I got a text from the driver with my delivery.

After getting the tryke, I found one of the hinges on the rear side bag was broken. Didn't they inspect it? Or were they hoping I wouldn't notice before my complaint window was over? When I sent pics, they were responsive and were going to arrange to have the local dealer fix it, but I asked them to send me the part so I could do it myself. It arrived in a week.

The salesman didn't seem to know any history on the tryke. No idea if the 30K service or even an oil change had been done, so between the hinge repair and all that, it was a lot of "getting to know the tryke" happening very quickly.

So, overall not a bad transaction, and if there's nothing local you want (which was my case) then I'd do it. But if you're willing to wait and maybe drive a little local might be a better choice.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Have you checked out this 2020 RTL for sale on the For Sale By Owner on this forum.
    He is in Arizona.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...020-RTL-Chrome
    I don't even have CLOSE to that kind of money. I'm hoping to have enough saved up (+ the sale of my beloved Honda) by September to maybe squeak by on a base model or something used <$ 20K all in. 18-20K is already going to stretch this lower middle class worker bee to the limit.
    But thanks for the heads up. Its appreciated!

Spyder Garage

I had a delivery issue with my RTL. Despite agreeing to a delivery window in writing the bike arrived when I was out of town. It ultimately got to me about a month after the agreed date. The bike had been on a long journey before I finally got it and the battery was dead.

I certainly saved some money on dealer prep and fees but on balance I would buy locally next time.
    Last edited by PeterKelly; 05-11-2023 at 09:24 AM.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Palm Desert)
    Grey - dark edition

2015 Spyder F3 S (Vancouver)

2017 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer

Spyder Garage

I think my best strategy might be to print out the total cost from iMotorsports and take it to my local dealer, let them know I can get it at "that" price and ask them to work with me. If they won't, then plan "A" will work. I'll just have to wait for delivery.

Spyder Garage

I recently traded my F3T for a new '22RT, working with Jessica. What they offered was much better than local dealers. The RT was delivered to my house in perfect condition and it now has about 1500 miles on it. Overall the trade was seamless. One final note: if you live in N.C. you have to have it inspected before registering it. A local station told me it was not necessary; no big problem other than I hate to stand in line again .
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I recently traded my F3T for a new '22RT, working with Jessica. What they offered was much better than local dealers. The RT was delivered to my house in perfect condition and it now has about 1500 miles on it. Overall the trade was seamless. One final note: if you live in N.C. you have to have it inspected before registering it. A local station told me it was not necessary; no big problem other than I hate to stand in line again .
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have enough saved up by September. I may end up using iMotorsports as leverage with the local dealer. If they won't play ball, then I'll buy online. If I buy new, that decision should be easy, if I buy used, its another matter altogether. I like to inspect a used machine in person.

That brings up another interesting subject. New VS used. I think the risk of buying a used machine could be far less than that of buying a used sportbike, since most Spyder owners are old dudes like me, and we tend to take better care of our machines.

Spyder Garage

I went used because I wasn't sure how well I'd like it. I'd taken a test ride on a 2010, and wasn't too sure. But I took a leap of faith and here I am.

I've seen a lot of older Spyders with VERY few miles on them. The PO of mine apparently liked to ride - according to the title and listing, my '14 had 30K on it when I bought it in '19. It had a few farkles on it that I removed. That's another thing about buying used - you may be able to get some accessories already installed.

At this point, I'd consider buying new just because I'm settled in on trykes now and would keep it long enough for it to be worth it.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

It's not hard to register an out of state vehicle here in AZ. You have to take the vehicle to an MVD office for a level 1 inspection, so they can physically verify the VIN. Then you pay the fees and you're on your way. AZ doesn't issue paper titles anymore, they are electronic, that's fairly new and I am not sure if that changes the process any.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Well yes and no, actually. I applied for paper titles for all my bikes through the AZDOT web site, and got them in the mail. But you gotta ask, they won't give them out otherwise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have enough saved up by September. I may end up using iMotorsports as leverage with the local dealer. If they won't play ball, then I'll buy online. If I buy new, that decision should be easy, if I buy used, its another matter altogether. I like to inspect a used machine in person.

That brings up another interesting subject. New VS used. I think the risk of buying a used machine could be far less than that of buying a used sportbike, since most Spyder owners are old dudes like me, and we tend to take better care of our machines.
    I bought my 2020 RTLtd from RideNow Powersports, Peoria AZ. The price seemed quite fair. Wrap my trade-in into the mix, and the financing came out just right. The RLT had 8800 miles on it.
    I also joined a Spyder group here in AZ on facebook. THE PREVIOUS OWNER was in there; he told me all about the bike, and said that the bike was 100% maintained right there at that dealership. That was very reassuring to me.

I think gently used is the ticket.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

I'm not too scared about used, as most people on Spyders are old, like me, and we normally take care of our stuff, and rarely use the spyder for stunting or wheelies.

Spyder Garage

iMotorsports only offered $4000.00 for my 2022 Honda. They also added the usual stealership fees. I passed, because you just can't buy a new bike without ridiculous freight and setup fees. The trade offer was just a major insult to injury. Screw them. I bought a used 2018 with a few scuffs and scratches for $14500.00. See below for the actual reply copied and pasted from my email.

Brian,
    Here is the pricing breakdown for you

2022 Can-Am Spyder F3 Steel Black Metallic
    $17,999
    $1515 - Freight (Can-Ams Logistic Surcharge and Destination Fee)
    $299 - Setup
    $347 - DOC fees (Documentation and paperwork)
    $35 - ERT (Electronic Registration )
    TAX and PLates/Sticker - whatever your State/local charges are

$20,195 + tax & plates

I did receive your trade evaluation, His offer is $4,000

Any questions just let me know.

Paul Stanko
    Sales Executive
    630-634-8437
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    iMotorsports only offered $4000.00 for my 2022 Honda. They also added the usual stealership fees. I passed, because you just can't buy a new bike without ridiculous freight and setup fees. The trade offer was just a major insult to injury. Screw them. I bought a used 2018 with a few scuffs and scratches for $14500.00. See below for the actual reply copied and pasted from my email.

Brian,
    Here is the pricing breakdown for you

2022 Can-Am Spyder F3 Steel Black Metallic
    $17,999
    $1515 - Freight (Can-Ams Logistic Surcharge and Destination Fee)
    $299 - Setup
    $347 - DOC fees (Documentation and paperwork)
    $35 - ERT (Electronic Registration )
    TAX and PLates/Sticker - whatever your State/local charges are

$20,195 + tax & plates

I did receive your trade evaluation, His offer is $4,000

Any questions just let me know.

Paul Stanko
    Sales Executive
    630-634-8437
    The times they are a changin. About $2K more than my two deals with them. Trades were satisfactory for me. I am talking 2020 and 2021 here. You will note, there is no delivery fee that I can see though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red