Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake won't release sometimes - motor or switch??

have trouble with my parking brake sometimes it will not release 2019 f3s I disconnect the cable so I can ride in a week or so it will again work
    is it the motor or switch.? every time i want to bring it to the dealership it start to work is it a common problem. with the 2019 f3s
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2023 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    richie spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

every time i want to bring it to the dealership it start to work
    It's the innate animosity of inanimate objects!

Your symptoms description is a bit thin. Spend an hour or so searching for parking brake on this forum, find something that better describes your symptoms and maybe you have found your answer. Or have a better description of symptoms.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I just got back from a few days away and noticed my brake required firmer pressure on the pedal to release.

I hope to have a good look in the next few days on how to remedy this.

I will be doing a search.

But if anybody immediately knows what may be going on. Where to look first...Point me in the right direction. Well im all ears.

I ask as I'm thinking thats what the Forum is about.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    have trouble with my parking brake sometimes it will not release 2019 f3s I disconnect the cable so I can ride in a week or so it will again work
    is it the motor or switch.? every time i want to bring it to the dealership it start to work is it a common problem. with the 2019 f3s
    I had the same problem with my 2018 RTL. It turned out to be the motor which was replaced under my extended warranty. The warranty bulletin that came out on that specifically addressed the 2018-19 RT's and F3's. Unfortunately the bulletin shows it expired on Jan 31, 2023. But you can check with your dealership and see if they can do anything for you.

bulletin.jpg

corrective action.jpg
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure the battery is good as the PB motor is electric.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My understanding of the parking brake motor failure is:

-- the parking brake motor assembly includes a worm gear that holds the engaged/released position of the parking brake lever on the rear caliper (a spur gear provides the additional torque needed).

-- the brushes on some production series of parking brake motors do not wear evenly leading to loss of contact area with associated loss of engage/release current and thereby loss of motor torque.

When this failure occurs the motor operates but without sufficient torque to overcome the worm gear locking force. The brushes and commutator cannot be repaired. The motor must be replaced.

However, the parking brake operation can be adversely affected by other factors which is why I hesitant recommending motor replacement without better description of symptoms.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Check that the cable moves freely.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    There is /was a TSB service bulletin for intermittent Park Brake Operation on 2018/2019 F3 and RT. a new enhanced Park Brake Motor was released to replace to old number. Part #710007256. $209.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking check the postilion of the switch is amongst the first things I will look at. re the having to push harder now than before...Dunno.. Lube stuff maybe..

I have a new rear tyre to fit so will get it sorted, and have a good look at the setup while im down there.

Spyder Garage

Try adjusting the tension on the cable at the rear wheel. i eased the tension on my F3 and the problem was solved. Its been 2 years without incident

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
    Try adjusting the tension on the cable at the rear wheel. i eased the tension on my F3 and the problem was solved. Its been 2 years without incident

What ^^^^^^ he said! With the PB off you should have a little slack in the cable at the rear wheel. The adjustment is done there with the two 12mm nuts on the cable.
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 05-10-2023 at 10:11 PM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Gentleman.

That makes sense now.

Wonder why its tightened up a bit. If anything I thought it would have loosened.

I have yet to have a close look at the brake set up but it sounds like that may work.

I had been on some rough, corrugated in places, potholed and unsealed roads prior to noticing it.

Given it a good shake up perhaps.

My tread There and Back again refers.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-again-I-guess
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2023 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Link ;-)