Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If you think a battery is dead, give this a try!

I just brought one back from the dead ..... My X finally decided to sell her Honda CRV ... the condo assoc. told Her to either remove it or get it registered .... She hasn't had a License for 9 years (she drove anyway ) and the car hadn't been started in 4 years.... the date on the (Walmart) battery was 9/16, so it was 7 years old ..... We needed to remove everything in the car, however the Electric rear hatch wouldn't release. No power .... I turned the key on and ... Nothing ... no dash lights, and no power for the hatch latch .... after the car was towed to my house (my son and I will clean & re-furbish it, with all new brakes etc. .... What I did was this ... I have a few battery charging devices, most are just Maintainers, but one is a high level device that has a 75amp jumper, and a 25amp charger than will drop to a maintenance level once it's charged .... It also detects if the alternator is doing its job .... AND it has a digital message board that tells you what's going on .... So I hooked it up to the Honda batt. and it told me the Batt. needed to be re-placed, it wouldn't take a charge .... One of my "maintainers" (an Optimate) .. has a DE-SULFATE feature... I hooked it up and left it alone for 5 days total.... during that time 36 to 48 hrs, the de-sulfate went off and it just went to charge normally mode for another 48 hrs. .... I then tried my HD charger and lo & behold it started to charge it (14.8 volts input) I left it overnight and the charger told me the Battery was Fully charged .... So out to the Honda, put the battery in, and the car started immed. .....annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the rear Hatch would release .... Sooooooooooooooo if you think your battery is Dead, maybe it isn't. ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2023 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for the thread... ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I just brought one back from the dead ..... My X finally decided to sell her Honda CRV ... the condo assoc. told Her to either remove it or get it registered .... She hasn't had a License for 9 years (she drove anyway ) and the car hadn't been started in 4 years.... the date on the (Walmart) battery was 9/16, so it was 7 years old ..... We needed to remove everything in the car, however the Electric rear hatch wouldn't release. No power .... I turned the key on and ... Nothing ... no dash lights, and no power for the hatch latch .... after the car was towed to my house (my son and I will clean & re-furbish it, with all new brakes etc. .... What I did was this ... I have a few battery charging devices, most are just Maintainers, but one is a high level device that has a 75amp jumper, and a 25amp charger than will drop to a maintenance level once it's charged .... It also detects if the alternator is doing its job .... AND it has a digital message board that tells you what's going on .... So I hooked it up to the Honda batt. and it told me the Batt. needed to be re-placed, it wouldn't take a charge .... One of my "maintainers" (an Optimate) .. has a DE-SULFATE feature... I hooked it up and left it alone for 5 days total.... during that time 36 to 48 hrs, the de-sulfate went off and it just went to charge normally mode for another 48 hrs. .... I then tried my HD charger and lo & behold it started to charge it (14.8 volts input) I left it overnight and the charger told me the Battery was Fully charged .... So out to the Honda, put the battery in, and the car started immed. .....annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the rear Hatch would release .... Sooooooooooooooo if you think your battery is Dead, maybe it isn't. ..... good luck .... Mike
    Honda CRV manual hatch release....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Hond...5NoPwsiAqA4_38

Spyder Garage

Desulsification can, indeed, rejuvenate a battery. But I wouldn't rely on it lasting a long time on a battery that old and neglected. When my bank account was owned by my boat, I had 4 banks of batteries. Two banks of 2 8Ds for house batteries and one 8D for each diesel for starting (total of 6 8Ds). Then I had an additional group 31 starting for the generator. These were all looped together with isolator and common switches that allowed me to join or isolate any and all batteries with switches. I used a charger/inverter that would charge, maintain, and automatically go through a desulsification process on, I believe, a monthly basis. The boat was my home for many years and having reliable battery power was important. Good charger/inverters will help batteries but they don't come cheap.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have the Manual and it says there is a lever behind the small access door on the inside of the Hatch .... well this one doesn't have it .... I also got some tips off google search, but they didn't pan out either .... it finally worked with a charged Battery .... thanks ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Desulsification can, indeed, rejuvenate a battery. But I wouldn't rely on it lasting a long time on a battery that old and neglected. When my bank account was owned by my boat, I had 4 banks of batteries. Two banks of 2 8Ds for house batteries and one 8D for each diesel for starting (total of 6 8Ds). Then I had an additional group 31 starting for the generator. These were all looped together with isolator and common switches that allowed me to join or isolate any and all batteries with switches. I used a charger/inverter that would charge, maintain, and automatically go through a desulsification process on, I believe, a monthly basis. The boat was my home for many years and having reliable battery power was important. Good charger/inverters will help batteries but they don't come cheap.....
    Thanks ... Peter said the same thing in a PM .... and .... I don't plan to drive or keep the Honda ... just replace/re-furbish what's needed then sell it .... I will tell the buyer that the Battery should be re-placed before winter ..... Thanks ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2023 at 09:46 PM. Reason: think ;-)