Spyder Garage

Default So what's the difference, apart from the name? (Coilover springs)

Greetings
    I've been sniffing around the interwebs wanting to change the springs on my front shocks. I've discovered there are two tiers of springs available. The name brands and the no-name brands.
    Hyperco and Eibach are examples of the first tier. Well known. Good quality. Premium price. (Eibachs run $72-74.00 for a 10" 1.88 ID 300 pound spring, each. Hyperco are in the same ball park. AFCO too.)

On the bottom tier are, for example, "Magnitude Performance." No, I've never heard of them, either. Take a look:
    https://www.magnitudeperformance.com...34323480379532 ($15.00 a piece. I'm guessing it's a closeout price; the company was recently purchased.)

Here's another bottom dweller: RT Pro, which makes items mainly for off-road use: https://rtproutv.com/ Off-road seems to me to demand at least as much quality and durability as the name brands do. $28.00 a piece.

It's easy to say "Eibach is better." But as a now-retired professor who taught critical thinking I gotta ask "What makes them better?" and "What makes the off-brands not worth a look?"

Teachers don't make much money. I know I didn't, so cost is a factor in any decision I make about my Spyder.

So, ladies and gentlemen, what say you?
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

It usually comes down to the makeup of the material used in a spring (not all compositions of a material like chrome vanadium or chrome moly alloy is the same) that can separate it from the others and then how it is actually made... Such as its heat treatment process or cryogenic hardening to define its tension characteristics and whether or not it needs to have a larger coil thickness for a given "spring rate" or load rating... This can make the spring heavier or lighter, which has a HUGE effect on its behavior and what we call sprung/unsprung weight when installed! Then there is how much actual load/performance testing is done on the final design/product.. And finally, what type of coating and the method by which it is applied to protect the spring material can make a big difference in longevity...

In this day and age it shouldn't be too far of a gap tho... I would steer clear of the stuff actually made in China. I keep running across bike & car guys that have used stuff from there to save a buck that have had actual failures...

I would look for a materials sheet and look for what process they use, tho this may be kept guarded... Google has a sh*t ton of info out there, all ya gotta do is research...
    Last edited by hypurone; 05-07-2023 at 12:01 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-128...14517093&psc=1

Here's what I played around with. If you have a progressive spring you can move it up and down in the coils to obtain the desired effect, or add more. The link above is just an example of what the spacer is. You'll find the correct diameter spacer by searching the Mr. Gasket website. I used one per spring and found exactly what I wanted. A little dawn soap and a couple of popsicle sticks help with installation. One spacer each side will give you a 1/2 to 1 inch more height. Comes in handy sometimes.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 05-07-2023 at 12:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, guys.
    I don't believe everything I read on a web page, but there's no way to check and at some point I have to trust the seller.

From the RK Pro web site: "Springs are CNC wound from high tensile, low silicon steel" "All springs are powder-coated and made in the USA."

The other place I mentioned says this: "Manufactured in USA using Premium Materials." "Chrome Silicon Premium High Tensile Wire." "Double Shot Peened for Enhanced Fatigue" (Do I want to buy a spring with enhanced fatigue? Perhaps the word "resistance" is missing?) and "Powder Coated with premium Silver Anthracite."

"Premium" is just marketing language. It's a meaningless term here, with nothing to compare it to.

Re: the spacers. Not sure I want to go that route. I'd rather put the correct spring on the shock. Sounds like one way to tackle the problem.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Thanks, guys.
    I don't believe everything I read on a web page, but there's no way to check and at some point I have to trust the seller.

From the RK Pro web site: "Springs are CNC wound from high tensile, low silicon steel" "All springs are powder-coated and made in the USA."

The other place I mentioned says this: "Manufactured in USA using Premium Materials." "Chrome Silicon Premium High Tensile Wire." "Double Shot Peened for Enhanced Fatigue" (Do I want to buy a spring with enhanced fatigue? Perhaps the word "resistance" is missing?) and "Powder Coated with premium Silver Anthracite."

"Premium" is just marketing language. It's a meaningless term here, with nothing to compare it to.

Re: the spacers. Not sure I want to go that route. I'd rather put the correct spring on the shock. Sounds like one way to tackle the problem.
    Being that the RT Pro site is centered around off-road which is a harsher environment, I would feel comfortable using stuff from them. I DO LIKE powder coat vs any other coating on a spring too!!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Chuck

I very much appreciate you taking the time to look at the RTPro website. Your conclusion matches mine: good enough for off-road? Good enough for on-road.

I wrote them asking what RP and SRT meant in their spring descriptions and learned RP means wrapped; STR means straight wound. Who knew? Obviously, not me. I also have no idea how the manufacturing method changes or improves things. I studied journalism and history and taught writing and philosophy and religion, so all this metallurgy stuff is way out of my comfort zone.

I replied to their answer just now, asking how RTPro's product differed from the Big Name Brands, except for having a smaller advertising budget. I'll post what they say,

Right now, I'm ready to spend the money on the RTPro springs.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Gentlemen
    Here's what I got back from RTPro springs:

Hello,
    Honestly, I cant really speak to their products, I can tell you they didn't get to be the biggest names in the game for no reason.
    Here is what i can talk about though, Our springs are designed as a kit, for the machine they are advertised on, they are tested and abused and beat on to try to get them to fail on us during testing before we release them. We don't hide behind technical or proprietary data to try to confuse customers, we are as upfront and honest as possible with our equipment, I personally run these springs on all 11 of my machines, these machines are set up across pretty much every platform and riding style one can think of. From on road cruisers to some of the harshest cliff and mountain top trails this country has to offer. Anyone who buys our springs with realistic expectations of them and the shocks their putting them on are all very happy. Even before I worked here I was using and recommending these springs to everyone who asked. We have an unprecedented warranty, we have an entire team (myself included) of guys here to help you before, during and after the purchase with any technical information you might need. When you buy our product the customer service doesn't stop there. If your mid install, and run into a question or problem call/email us we are here to help. If you want to inquire about tech data before you purchase anything, call/email us were here. If your broken down on the side of mountain 2 days into your 10 day riding trip, Call us were here. These springs come backed with a lifetime warranty. If they break/fail. We will replace them, we gather some information if/when failures occur, we document every issue and analyze them daily, to get in front of any potential product issues we might be experiencing so we can keep the impacted group as small as possible and get the issue corrected for those who are affected.

At the end of the day, Were not a bunch of guys who talk about this life style and decided to try to make a buck in a market we know nothing about. Were the guys out there on the trails every weekend passing by you, In machines like yours wishing it could handle and ride just a little bit better just like you. I'm not sure what else can be said. If you have any specific questions I am happy to answer them, and I think I've shown, if i don't have your answer, I do know where to look. And if I cant find it, im not going to make something, I will tell you I don't know. Most company's wouldn't dare to admit to you they dont know, But as i mentioned, We don't have anything to hide.
    I'm going riding. When I get home, I'm sending them some money.

Steve
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2023 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Mind if I ask what rate you went with and your load? I am looking to upgrade my wife's suspension and a new set of front and rear springs would be a great start.
    I ride to feel free
    I vote to stay free
    I serve to be free

2013 Spyder ST-L 15k miles
    2013 ST-L , White

Spyder Garage

I spoke way too soon.
    Upon further investigation I'm finding conflicting data on correct spring length. So that's on hold for now.
    Had I bought the springs I discussed, I was going with 300 pounds.
    I weigh 200 with gear; wife weighs 120 with gear. I do mostly solo riding, with the occasional two-up plus luggage. ("This pannier is yours, sugar lips. I've got the other one. We'll split the top case and frunk." She did great, a real trouper for 12 days in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana.)
    Long answer.
    300 is what you're asking.