Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LALoner View Post
    I believe that those who are saying "modulator" are correct and my use of "flashing" was wrong. I do know we had "flashing" lights on our Aircraft but, although low, we rarely had cars pull over because of it.

SO, modulator is the subject.
    Fixed the Thread Title to reflect that!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've been using headlight modulators since 1978 when Q-switch first came out. I put it on a 76 GL1000 until 96. Then bought a 95 Kawasaki Concours, installed another modulator, Then in 2003 bought a Honda 1800, installed another. Always on low beams.
    I'm currently looking for one that will modulate these LED lights on the Can Am that is plug and play....
    Modulators are a good thing on front and back.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

I've had modulators on a GL1500, a GL1800 and an Electra Glide. I've had a couple of encounters with angry drivers who stopped being angry when informed that the lights were a safety device and being thanked for seeing me. I've had a couple of more drivers think I was on a police motor and in pursuit, one of whom pulled a brakes-locked full on stop from the oncoming lane and skidding into my lane... flashback to what happens when you're Code 3!

On my last Electra Glide, I did not add a modulator but did add amber passing lamps. They appeared to get the same attention without the negative reactions. I haven't added one on my new Street Glide either and won't as I've added an LED headlight. Still contemplating adding the same amber passing lamps though.

I've never installed them in my F3 either. At least it isn't likely to be mistaken as a police motor... I think!
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post

I've never installed them in my F3 either. At least it isn't likely to be mistaken as a police motor... I think!
    Don't bet on it!!

Even without modulating headlights I get mistaken for a Police Motorcycle Cop every day & pretty much at least once every time I ride my Pearl White 2013 RT Ltd

Mind you, I have had a number of 'real' Police Motorcyclists and other people tell me that it's mainly my riding stance & style that conveys that impression; and when you add a 'big white bike' to those, ridden the way I ride, it makes many people very nervous &/or suspicious about that 'bike coming up rapidly in their rear vision mirrors' - even when I've got the Child Bride aboard as a pillion!

But it also highlights that many drivers out there REALLY DON'T SEE whatever there is &/or what's really going on around them I'm pretty sure that the number of people who've 'noticed' my 'Police Bike', then commented or asked if I was off duty, only to be amazed when I've pointed out the two front wheels on the Spyder would really surprise you, cos it STILL surprises me every single time, and it happens fairly often!! How the heck can you NOT notice those?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not exactly sure, nor do I have any evidence, but that flashing feature can't be good for the headlights. I suspect that it shortens the life of the bulbs, but WTH do I know ....
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Actually it lengthens bulb life. I never changed any of the headlight bulbs in all three vehicles I had one installed on. Don't know about LED's life with a modulator yet, that is of course if I can find one.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

I had a 1981 Honda GL500 Interstate for 12 years with modulator - never any kind of headlight problems.
    Sold it for a 1987 Kawasaki Voyager 1200 I had for 8 years with modulator - never any kind of headlight problems.
    I did get some comments on the CB from other motorists - that my headlights were flashing... I thanked them for noticing as that was what they were intended to do - get noticed.
    Have had several bikes since but did not put a modulator on ... guess I decided to just be an even more alert, defensive driver.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Not exactly sure, nor do I have any evidence, but that flashing feature can't be good for the headlights. I suspect that it shortens the life of the bulbs, but WTH do I know ....
    Well Lou, I'll ride behind you on my poor, old, slow V-Max with a headlight modulator (that's at least 10 years-old on the same bulb) and we'll see what you think. That's if I can keep up....

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2023 at 01:35 AM. Reason: '
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow