Spyder Garage

Default Any ideas on what this Noise on my 2022 RT-L might be?

Hello,

Today I pulled my Spyder out of the garage to go to the supermarket and I heard this weird noise that sounded like air was coming out of the tires. It made the noise for about 3 seconds. I went around the block, and it did it again about two more times. Would anybody know what that is?

It's got 1200 miles on it, and I purchased it from Brooks Power Sport last fall, brand new. I just had my 1000 miles check done on it two weeks ago.

I am new to the Spyder world.

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Both radiator cooling fans off and on? Check the coolant level

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 06-04-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

If not radiator fans, the other noisemakers on our cycles are the compressor and the dump valve for the air suspension. Possibly the load on the cycle was different today than yesterday?
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Thanks, it might be the air suspension, or the compressor - any suggestions on how to fix it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 04:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Burgman2RT View Post
    Thanks it might be the air suspension ,or compressor any suggestions on how to fix it
    If you have a hiss for a few seconds and then it stops, no repair is necessary. The suspension was just airing up and stopped at it's set point.
    If it continues for minutes at a time, then you have a leak that needs to be repaired.

I'm thinking you're probably OK.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thanks, it might be the air suspension, or the compressor - any suggestions on how to fix it?
    From what you've described in your first post in this thread, it sounds very much like you might not need to fix anything!

For those Spyder Ryders who are still lucky enough to be able to hear these sorta things, the compressor will make some noise if/when it needs to add air, and the dump valve will make some but less noise as & when it needs to dump air, but all this will happen automatically as & when the weight/load on the bike changes attitude &/or shifts; or when the bike shifts or settles in such a way that the ACS senses & corrects a change in static ride height. And from what/when you are describing the noises occurring above, I'd say that's exactly what it's doing!

So, if you are only hearing the noise occasionally, and only for a few seconds each time, then without going into it all in great detail, it sounds like your ACS & the compressor that forms part of that system is working fine! - I would've used a 'Surprised' emoji there, but there wasn't one suitable to express exactly HOW SURPRISING it is to find someone who apparently has a properly working ACS, especially on a relatively new Spyder!!

Count yourself VERY lucky, and....

Ryde More, Worry Less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 04:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

There is an easy test you can perform if you like. When you park your spyder overnight, open the seat and measure the pressure on the Schrader valve near the back right side of the seat. Then measure it again in the morning. Loss of less than 5 PSI is negligible. Much more than that and you should find and repair the leak.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Fix = ride more, worry less
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

To me, if you are hearing this hissing or noise two or three times around the block, and if it's doing it again if you take it out today, I would NOT try to fix it myself, It's a new bike, TAKE IT BACK and let the shop fix it! That's what warranty's are for! If it's over that point then you have to get a spray bottle with some soapy water and start spraying all your air ride system down and check for leaks, the whole system. The weird part in your case to me is that if the systems not leaking it should have normalized shortly after you left the dooryard and you really shouldn't of heard it again unless you had changed the load on the bike some how. So I am fearing that you have a ride to the shop on your radar or you are going to join the club, and turn the ride to a manual fill. Set it and forget it. Good luck ether way!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default hiss

Hello,

Today I pulled my Spyder out of the garage to go to the supermarket and I heard this weird noise that sounded like air was coming out of the tires. It made the noise for about 3 seconds. I went around the block, and it did it again about two more times. Would anybody know what that is?

It's got 1200 miles on it, and I purchased it from Brooks Power Sport last fall, brand new. I just had my 1000 miles check done on it two weeks ago.

I am new to the Spyder world.

Thanks
    I had that happen it was a bad dps

Spyder Garage

There is something wrong with your Spyder and it is probably related to the compressor/air bag. It should not 'hiss' multiple times, ever. For sure mine doesn't.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0