Spyder Garage

Default Email from BRP about Horsepower for Ski-Doos - why not Spyders too?

Not the whole thing, just an excerpt about horsepower, and it makes me wonder why the Spyder lineup doesn't get it, or at least some of it. I mean you can kill yourself jus as dead on a Ski Doo as you can on a Spyder.

With the introduction of the Rotax 850 E-TEC Turbo R with Water Injection System, BRP power and innovation are on full display on the trail with 180 HP. With the incredibly responsive Rotax 850 E-TEC Turbo R and 600R 2-stroke snowmobiles, and the ultra-efficient 900 ACE (Advanced Combustion Efficiency) and 900 ACE Turbo R 4-strokes, Ski-Doo snowmobiles deliver inspiring power in every segment. It creates a ride that’s addictive in nature – an experience you’ll want to live over and over again.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I've been asking/wondering that since the Spyder came out!! They prob have some weird thought process about more traffic on road vs off etc. But a tree, animal or rock will kill you just as dead and just as quickly as a car...

It might just come down to emissions. Even though they aren't emissions tested, there are limits they have to follow for on-road vehicles to be sold in the US and other regions...
    Last edited by hypurone; 05-04-2023 at 11:56 AM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Agree 100%! I don't like it but I still have one in my garage.
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The conditions under which a snowmobile or sea-do operate are totally different than a spyder's operating environment. Just their drivetrains alone suck up a huge amount of HP, not to mention pushing all that water whether it'd liquid or frozen.

Spyder Garage

I've been saying this for years too. but BRP doesn't seem to think there is an On-road market for more horsepower...
    It would be one of the best ways to get a younger crowd actually interested in 3 wheelers. I'm 40 and young for a Can am rider.. that says something.
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Spyder Garage

And they wonder why Spyder Owners go hunting for ECU Upgrades!!

The Horsepower IS CLEARLY there for the taking, but BRP are forcing owners to either outsource it or to forgo it?? You gotta wonder who in their organization is behind such stupidity, don't you?? Is it their Marketing department who've so badly missed the mark; the lawyers who are imposing excessively conservative restrictions; or what!?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well, one reason might be the propensity of Spyders to overheat as they are. Here in central Texas our summer temps are often over 100º which really stresses the cooling system of a Spyder. Snowmobiles don't have that problem. Just a guess.

Spyder Garage

Peter, the blame falls on the government not BRP.
    The rules for on road vehicles and off road vehicles is different, emissions just being one.
    That's why most of the aftermarket stuff says "FOR RACE USR ONLY" not legal for the streel.
    Harley got a big slap for selling tuners for their bikes that did not comply (I had the race tuner before they got caught)
    I was looking at the TwoBrothers pipe and right in their add it says For track use only.
    Me I like to "tinker". That's why my wife says I buy "STARTER KITS"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Peter, the blame falls on the government not BRP.
    The rules for on road vehicles and off road vehicles is different, emissions just being one.
    That's why most of the aftermarket stuff says "FOR RACE USR ONLY" not legal for the streel.
    Harley got a big slap for selling tuners for their bikes that did not comply (I had the race tuner before they got caught)
    I was looking at the TwoBrothers pipe and right in their add it says For track use only.
    Me I like to "tinker". That's why my wife says I buy "STARTER KITS"
    Raven...

In addition to rules on the road verses off-road, there is also dependability. The majority of Spyder consumers will not put up with the short lifespan, and increased servicing that these engines designed for off-road need. I suspect that BRP has crunched the numbers to come up with a compromise.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Peter...

They don't wonder. They expect/anticipate it. Just like about every other vehicle manufacturer out there - for on or off road. They get to meet regulations, increase engine life and dependability, make most of their customers happy enough, and put the burden of anything more, on those that are willing to make the changes.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Besides. It is more fun to build your own, than to buy it.
    Some are happy with stock. If you want more, do it . Make it yours.

Spyder Garage

Ski-Doo’s have a very competitive marketplace while the Spyder does not.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Horsepower IS CLEARLY there for the taking, but BRP are forcing owners to either outsource it or to forgo it?? You gotta wonder who in their organization is behind such stupidity, don't you?? Is it their Marketing department who've so badly missed the mark; the lawyers who are imposing excessively conservative restrictions; or what!?!
    I think you're pretty close to spot on here Peter. In a few more years if BRP comes out with 200+ HP spyder what better way to jump start a sagging market? Would you go for a 200/220 HP spyder? Whoooooo nice!

Spyder Garage

In answer to your question. Yes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The Can Am side by sides have 200 HP, now that would be spicy and make me happy

Spyder Garage

I think 200 HP would be a bit too much for the single rear wheel Spyders. It would spin out too easily. But 150 HP would be great!

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector