Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with Raven .... lately I've seen dozens of " Man - Girl - Whatever " on the street interviews. Some were with College students .... They Scare the Cr*p out of me..... Ignorance seems to be the norm today ..... JMHO .... Mike
    That's always been the attitude of older generations toward the younger ones, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    2dogs, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.
    Instead of scrip I should have said cursive writing. Most can print their name, but ask them to write it or read cursive and they get a deer in the headlights look on their face. Ask for a signature and they will print it.
    Go into a store and pey cash and they have a hard time making change.
    Give them something electronic and they are a great.
    Why would they want to learn obsolete skills?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    Or read an analog clock.
    Or a sundial.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Even Duct Tape can't fix stupid.
    Most high school kids can't do simple math or read or write scrip, including writing their name.
    But they can create algorithms and hack corporate systems.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Other people's kids, huh?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe we should rename this thread "Celebrating Curmudgeonry "
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's why immigrants have always been necessary for American economic growth. We're happy to take the jobs American youth can't be bothered with.
    BINGO! You nailed it. Two sides to every story. My nephew can't read or write cursive, but landed a tech job in the livestock industry that pays more than I would have ever imagined. I poke fun at him and he waves his paycheck at me According to my parents I was a lost cause. Motorcycles, long hair, and I mean down to by butt long hair, evil music, you name it. Turned out I have an amazing wife, raised a RN and a 20+ year Navy veteran, and had a good enough career that I retired at 56. Like my parents I think the new generations are a lost cause, but I'm optimistic that they will prove me wrong.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Common sense just isn't common.
    One look at what it takes to change oil or replace the rear tire on our Spyders is all the evidence you need.
    Kids today would be out of luck without an electrical umbilical cord and the Google.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    One look at what it takes to change oil or replace the rear tire on our Spyders is all the evidence you need.
    Kids today would be out of luck without an electrical umbilical cord and the Google.
    I think motorcycle maintenance is an acquired skill, not common sense.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with Raven .... lately I've seen dozens of " Man - Girl - Whatever " on the street interviews. Some were with College students .... They Scare the Cr*p out of me..... Ignorance seems to be the norm today ..... JMHO .... Mike
    They only show the ones that would scare the Cr*p out of you. The ones that give the correct answers don't get saved. It's entertainment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    It's not just the kids, go back and look at some of the posts on this site. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but YouTube has pulled my fat out of the fire on more than one occasion. So don't knock the internet too hard, look at where and what we're on right now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I retired from a job at a phosphate mine in Florida in 2005. Within a few days after I retired, the superintendent and the supervisor came to my house and asked if I would consider returning to work. They came back back 2 more times in the following weeks. They were getting tech school graduates that had a class A CDL and couldn't drive the trucks. They had people hiring on that claimed to be heavy equipment operators, but they could not even start the machines. The mine was governed by both OSHA and MHSA, and had mines safety training requirements lasting more than a week before the new hires were allowed on company property. There was also serious random drug testing. They were going through months trying to find an employee that could actually perform the required jobs and wasn't just clean for the pre-hire drug test.They finally hired a former employee of another mine that had just moved into the area. Most of the younger employees they tried could not get to work on time (or at all) for a week straight. It was around the clock shift work, and if the relief employee did not show up, or was late, the employee that had just completed his shift could not go home. The lateness and the missed days was costing huge over time. Most of the new hires never made it past the 90 day probationary period.
    When the company I retired from was looking for my replacement I went through 18 candidates in 5 weeks.

Let me give you an example. ( I worked on industrial assemble and packaging machinery)

One of my test questions was can you explain the difference between electrical timing and mechanical timing.

One answered. one you wind up and the other is either battery or you plug in the wall. this was for a job with a pay scale starting at 60K a year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When the company I retired from was looking for my replacement I went through 18 candidates in 5 weeks.

Let me give you an example. ( I worked on industrial assemble and packaging machinery)

One of my test questions was can you explain the difference between electrical timing and mechanical timing.

One answered. one you wind up and the other is either battery or you plug in the wall. this was for a job with a pay scale starting at 60K a year.
    I doubt their education, experience or training ever involved antiquated technologies like that. Would you be able to explain the difference between electrical controls and electronic controls?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-05-2023 at 05:35 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Worked in hospitals most of my life. I'd always be amazed at the young folks who started on the ward. Some would be total idiots, mean and lazy. The other half would be bright and interested in learning, compassionate and helpful. I stopped marveling at the contrast, and just tried to encourage the helpful and compassionate kids. My guess is we have always had the idiots who walk among us and always will.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I doubt their education, experience or training ever involved antiquated technologies like that. Would you be able to explain the difference between electrical controls and electronic controls?
    YES, yes I would.
    One converts electrical energy into other forms of energy.
    Electronic control power to preform a task...simple terms because KISS.
    Last edited by SLICE; 05-05-2023 at 07:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Mining, trucking, heavy equipment operation, is not antiquated technologies. It is same technologies that have been used for decades and continue to be used, to make the fertilize products which grow the food people eat, and the minor chemical additives that go into making animal feeds, and even products for human consumption.

When eating becomes antiquated, then mining phosphate might become antiquated, but not before. Getting to work on time, and being at work when scheduled, unless there is an emergency, is not an antiquated concept, but does not seem to be important to people who apply for the high paying jobs, but don't know how, or don't want to do the work.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Gave up lifting weights years ago ,they where to heavy.

Thanks for spotting for the Einstein .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mining, trucking, heavy equipment operation, is not antiquated technologies. It is same technologies that have been used for decades and continue to be used, to make the fertilize products which grow the food people eat, and the minor chemical additives that go into making animal feeds, and even products for human consumption.
    I never meant to imply that industrial heavy equipment is antiquated, but rather that they involve controls, which have evolved enormously over the past 40 years. Some of those legacy machines, still in operation mind you, have older control systems, which to the younger generation would seem antiquated and certainly not part of their recent training. Just because they don't know anything about older technologies doesn't mean they are stupid or useless.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-05-2023 at 11:08 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JDTOLLAND View Post
    Gave up lifting weights years ago ,they where to heavy.

Thanks for spotting for the Einstein .
    It was more of a rescue than a spot.

Now I'm off to the gym.

Spyder Garage

I never meant to imply that industrial heavy equipment is antiquated, but rather that they involve controls, which have evolved enormously over the past 40 years. Some of those legacy machines, still in operation mind you, have older control systems, which to the younger generation would seem antiquated and certainly not part of their recent training. Just because they don't know anything about older technologies doesn't mean they are stupid or useless.
    If playing video games could train you to work heavy industry most any high school graduate could start out at top pay. Unfortunately, it takes a good basic education and experience. I did not say the people graduating were stupid or useless, but they don't have the training or the experience, and many don't have the will to start at the bottom, get to work on time, and learn the skills required to get the higher paying jobs. They want to start out wheeling a $500,000 piece of equipment and getting the big bucks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If playing video games could train you to work heavy industry most any high school graduate could start out at top pay. Unfortunately, it takes a good basic education and experience. I did not say the people graduating were stupid or useless, but they don't have the training or the experience, and many don't have the will to start at the bottom, get to work on time, and learn the skills required to get the higher paying jobs. They want to start out wheeling a $500,000 piece of equipment and getting the big bucks.

If so, then the need for hard-working immigrants is greater than I thought. But, I am not seeing this deterioration of work ethic in the younger generation that you do.

Whose children are these unmotivated, unambitious, lazy, entitled young people, anyway? Someone else's, I guess.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-06-2023 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Clarification
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If so, then the need for hard-working immigrants is greater than I thought. But, I am not seeing this deterioration of work ethic in the younger generation that you do.

Whose children are these unmotivated, unambitious, lazy, entitled young people, anyway? Someone else's, I guess.
    I really don't see the difference in the 'young people' now versus when I was in high school, regarding ability to learn or work ethic. In my last and final career I worked in a few hospitals and worked alongside those in their early 20's to those ready for retirement. No age group stuck out more than another regarding laziness or go getters or those that I wondered how they found their way to work each day.

Oh, by the way, if you use a 'true' squat bar it weighs 55#, unlike the regular barbell bars.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2023 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I really don't see the difference in the 'young people' now versus when I was in high school, regarding ability to learn or work ethic. In my last and final career I worked in a few hospitals and worked alongside those in their early 20's to those ready for retirement. No age group stuck out more than another regarding laziness or go getters or those that I wondered how they found their way to work each day.

Oh, by the way, if you use a 'true' squat bar it weighs 55#, unlike the regular barbell bars.
    I've always considered it the duty and privilege of 'seniors' to train their replacements, particularly in the skilled trades.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

No, not all of them are someone else's. I have 2 grandsons that don't even have a driver's license. They don't want to learn to drive. One of them is over 20 years old, the other one graduates from high school this year. When I was the same age as the older one, I was aircrew on C-130 aircraft in Vietnam and had a 3 page long military license with a long list of equipment and vehicles I was license to operate. I was airdrop qualified and qualified to haul Class A explosives on down.

My son was driving when he was 14 years old, had his regular operators license and was working part time from the time he was 16 years old. I have no clue what happened to the grandkids. They did get caught up in the stupid covid shut downs and the schools in their state were locked down for a long time. Other than that, they just don't seem real motivated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2023 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Good question.
    I'd think a sec, and then probably say.
    350 small block Chevy camshaft vs. EVC system, ie camless, using solenoids and either firmware or software programming.

If you can find a guy that can repair a lawnmower or tractor, and watches inappropriate websites, dealing with viruses, high jacks,and browser histories... you have a chance at a decent tech.
    Last edited by carbonation; 05-06-2023 at 11:30 AM.