Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default People sure are dumb.

So on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday I go to the gym between 5-5:30 am, nobody is there at this hour and that's they way I like it. So this new guy comes in shortly after me starts with some free weights and while I'm in the middle of doing my chest fly's I notice the guy slapping 45 pound plates on the bench press I pause a moment and watch him in the mirror he does one rep and is struggling the second rep does not go to good and he's turning radish red trying to get the bar back on the rack I drop my weight and help him get the weights off his chest. He looks me dead in the eye and says I should be able to lift 90 pounds, I said maybe but did you factor in that the bar weighs 45 pounds. He reply's that should not matter I was lifting two 45 pound plates. Yes but but the bar weighs 45 pounds, he still wanted to ague that the weight of the bar should not have come into play.

I just hope I don't go into the gym one morning and find him crushed under a stack of weights.

We really need to bring back common sense.

Spyder Garage

Common Sense is all but lost in todays world.... I see it every day, getting worse and worse.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Nothing to do with common sense....... it is from teaching global warming instead of math in school.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Nothing to do with common sense....... it is from teaching global warming instead of math in school.
    But he was my age, I live in a retirement community or as I love to call it '' the retard commune''.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, Lordie...here we go...

There is only so much common sense in the world. As the population grows, it gets diluted. That's just common sense.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 05-04-2023 at 09:28 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You should have used the calculator on your phone to show him the combined weight. He would have got it then. Adding, subtracting, making change, etc. is now a strictly an electronic process. Even with a lot of older folks.
    Last edited by Navydad; 05-04-2023 at 08:53 AM.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should have just agreed with him and said, "yes, you are a wuss, not being able to lift 2 plates" and then walked off. Sometimes it is just not worth arguing with some people.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    You should have just agreed with him and said, "yes, you are a wuss, not being able to lift 2 plates" and then walked off. Sometimes it is just not worth arguing with some people.
    I'm no Charles Atlas, I only workout with 20 pounds, but I lift until I can't lift no more, about 150 reps

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Oh, Lordie...here we go...

There is only so much common sense in the world. As the population grows, it gets diluted. That's just common sense.
    I think you are on to something here Pete. It's bewildering to see it happening but people old enough to know better seem to be lacking simple commonsense all around me. I'm astonished to witness the stupidity that I didn't seem to see in years past. Does commonsense have a limit or an expiration date? I can't go too far with this, but what's most astonishing and disturbing is how prevalent it seems to be in our so called elected leaders. It's hard not to notice it because it's in the news and on TV on a daily basis.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I think you are on to something here Pete. It's bewildering to see it happening but people old enough to know better seem to be lacking simple commonsense all around me. I'm astonished to witness the stupidity that I didn't seem to see in years past. Does commonsense have a limit or an expiration date? I can't go too far with this, but what's most astonishing and disturbing is how prevalent it seems to be in our so called elected leaders. It's hard not to notice it because it's in the news and on TV on a daily basis.
    Unfortunately, there's not an IQ test or a Civics test for voters or candidates.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

No offenders yet...but...just a reminder. Keep the politics and similar references out.

Offenders may be infracted this go around.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-04-2023 at 02:13 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Slice,

You should have told him to stick to using two 45 lb dumbbells. Maybe not; then, he'd have really been confused.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Even Duct Tape can't fix stupid.
    Most high school kids can't do simple math or read or write scrip, including writing their name.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Most high school kids can't do simple math or read or write scrip, including writing their name.
    Raven, you may want to rethink your position. I don't believe you really mean that literally. I think you are referring to a small (no pun intended) slice of the population.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Or read an analog clock.

Spyder Garage

I am 73 years old. Went to my doctor for the annual physical exam, with all the lab tests to go with it. A nurse came in and gave me a blank piece of paper. She said it was a cognitive test. She wanted me to put a clock face on the paper and make the time some certain time of day. Can't remember exactly what time she wanted. I just put 4 dots on the circle and put the hands of the clock where they would be. She gave it back and said it had to have the numbers on it, so I put them on, in roman numerals. She said it looked strange and how did I know what the numbers meant. I told her that digital clocks had not been invented yet when I learned how to tell time. Never saw a calculator until I was in an electronics shop in Japan when I was in the service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I worked across the street from a high school continuation school. Before a student could enroll they had to be off probation and have a valid driver's license. That in itself indicated some ability to read and follow directions. During the first week, they had to pass proficiency in reading an analog clock and a tape measure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is like an older generation scorning a younger one because they don't know how to strop a razor.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Raven, you may want to rethink your position. I don't believe you really mean that literally. I think you are referring to a small (no pun intended) slice of the population.
    with Raven .... lately I've seen dozens of " Man - Girl - Whatever " on the street interviews. Some were with College students .... They Scare the Cr*p out of me..... Ignorance seems to be the norm today ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I worked across the street from a high school continuation school. Before a student could enroll they had to be off probation and have a valid driver's license. That in itself indicated some ability to read and follow directions. During the first week, they had to pass proficiency in reading an analog clock and a tape measure.
    I'm a Home Improvement contractor.... When interviewing Younger (20+yo) applicants First question is, "can you read a tape measure"... Most say yes... I then ask how many 1/4's are in an inch... You would be surprised how many can't answer correctly. These are the usually applicants that want to make $25-$30 an hour...
    I can't wait till retirement...
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

2dogs, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.
    Instead of scrip I should have said cursive writing. Most can print their name, but ask them to write it or read cursive and they get a deer in the headlights look on their face. Ask for a signature and they will print it.
    Go into a store and pey cash and they have a hard time making change.
    Give them something electronic and they are a great.

Spyder Garage

And I can't type today, need another coffee

Spyder Garage

I retired from a job at a phosphate mine in Florida in 2005. Within a few days after I retired, the superintendent and the supervisor came to my house and asked if I would consider returning to work. They came back back 2 more times in the following weeks. They were getting tech school graduates that had a class A CDL and couldn't drive the trucks. They had people hiring on that claimed to be heavy equipment operators, but they could not even start the machines. The mine was governed by both OSHA and MHSA, and had mines safety training requirements lasting more than a week before the new hires were allowed on company property. There was also serious random drug testing. They were going through months trying to find an employee that could actually perform the required jobs and wasn't just clean for the pre-hire drug test.They finally hired a former employee of another mine that had just moved into the area. Most of the younger employees they tried could not get to work on time (or at all) for a week straight. It was around the clock shift work, and if the relief employee did not show up, or was late, the employee that had just completed his shift could not go home. The lateness and the missed days was costing huge over time. Most of the new hires never made it past the 90 day probationary period.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I retired from a job at a phosphate mine in Florida in 2005. Within a few days after I retired, the superintendent and the supervisor came to my house and asked if I would consider returning to work. They came back back 2 more times in the following weeks. They were getting tech school graduates that had a class A CDL and couldn't drive the trucks. They had people hiring on that claimed to be heavy equipment operators, but they could not even start the machines. The mine was governed by both OSHA and MHSA, and had mines safety training requirements lasting more than a week before the new hires were allowed on company property. There was also serious random drug testing. They were going through months trying to find an employee that could actually perform the required jobs and wasn't just clean for the pre-hire drug test.They finally hired a former employee of another mine that had just moved into the area. Most of the younger employees they tried could not get to work on time (or at all) for a week straight. It was around the clock shift work, and if the relief employee did not show up, or was late, the employee that had just completed his shift could not go home. The lateness and the missed days was costing huge over time. Most of the new hires never made it past the 90 day probationary period.
    That's why immigrants have always been necessary for American economic growth. We're happy to take the jobs American youth can't be bothered with.
    2014 RTL Platinum