Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Default Droid

Spyder Garage

I see you have SpyderLovers on the screen so I guess it's Spyder related.

So how do you like it?

Spyder Garage

So far: ability to run multiple apps at the same time, a 5-megapixel camera, it has a slide-out keyboard and is not AT&T....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am also wondering how you like it. A new toy like that could get me in a lot of trouble, especially if I took it to work with me.

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

I too have been interested in a UMPC. I have seen people mounting them on motorcycles and using them as a GPS. This way your PC is always with you on trips. I like things that can do double duty.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

We checked out the DROID tonight - very nice! Only problem, we are still under contract w/ another company and it will cost to get out of it so we'll just have to wait. Unless anyone has a nice scam on how to get out of a phone contract.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    We checked out the DROID tonight - very nice! Only problem, we are still under contract w/ another company and it will cost to get out of it so we'll just have to wait. Unless anyone has a nice scam on how to get out of a phone contract.
    Still miss rotary phone those things put REMS into your brain

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm looking at new phones... Blackberry now, and almost out of my contract.

Work has decided to arbitrarily reduce our monthly telcom/home office expenses to the point that the new cap won't even cover my Internet and cell phone bill. So I flat out told my manager that either he's going to see more "mileage" on my expense report or I'm dropping the data service on the Blackberry and in turn disconnecting it from the corp blackberry server.

I digress, but it opens me up to getting something more functional and smarter than a blackberry.

Doc.. that gold square... is that a fingerprint reader?

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I'm going to wait until the iPhone is offered with Verizon. Rumor control has it after the first of the year. I read where V will be upping the early out penalty fee from $175 to $350 on certain smart phones, including the Droid.

Stupid phone companies really know how to stick it to ya. Right now I have to dial 1 and the area code to call my neighbor 30 feet away.

Remember when there was a name before the number?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    that gold square... is that a fingerprint reader?
    Four-way rocker navigation with a center button.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    I'm going to wait until the iPhone is offered with Verizon. Rumor control has it after the first of the year. I read where V will be upping the early out penalty fee from $175 to $350 on certain smart phones, including the Droid.

Stupid phone companies really know how to stick it to ya. Right now I have to dial 1 and the area code to call my neighbor 30 feet away.

Showing your age there You mean like Cedar-5989, Yes I remember Also party lines and living in a small community where you only had to dial the last four digits to anyone in the same exchange. I remember how strange that was for me. We had just moved when I was a kid from the city out to a small rural community. People would ask each other's phone number and they would just say 4857. I'm thinking, there is not enough numbers here, what is up? Turns out that every number that started with a 636 could be dialed with just the last 4 digit if you dialed from a 636 number and you didn't need the area code either.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

i heard the same from a verizon support guy ,,,,, i will wait every time i buy the newest phone it sucks after a week ...the iphone is the only one that still rocks...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    i heard the same from a verizon support guy ,,,,, i will wait every time i buy the newest phone it sucks after a week ...the iphone is the only one that still rocks...
    I love my iphone. Regardless of what the commercials say, I have traveled from MI to CA and back, from MI to TN and back and had phone and internet service at least 95% of the time. Certain spots in the mountains were my only problem areas. I do not drop calls and the apps that are available, if you use them, are fantastic. I have my GPS app on my phone and I don't pay a monthly fee and it works fantastic. I can play my music while the GPS is running as well. I love Pandora and now Lamont hooked me up with PandoraJam so if I am going to be riding in an area without signal, I can have hours of Pandora stored on my iphone. Brian has his set up and I will be doing mine shortly to sync with his computer wirelessly. If he adds a new contact in his phone, it automatically adds it to his computer, same with the calendar. Ok, I will stop selling the iphone now. LOL

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    I love my iphone. Regardless of what the commercials say, I have traveled from MI to CA and back, from MI to TN and back and had phone and internet service at least 95% of the time. Certain spots in the mountains were my only problem areas. I do not drop calls and the apps that are available, if you use them, are fantastic. I have my GPS app on my phone and I don't pay a monthly fee and it works fantastic. I can play my music while the GPS is running as well. I love Pandora and now Lamont hooked me up with PandoraJam so if I am going to be riding in an area without signal, I can have hours of Pandora stored on my iphone. Brian has his set up and I will be doing mine shortly to sync with his computer wirelessly. If he adds a new contact in his phone, it automatically adds it to his computer, same with the calendar. Ok, I will stop selling the iphone now. LOL
    pandorajam??? gotta check it out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I see you have SpyderLovers on the screen so I guess it's Spyder related.
    Wow! Just barely squeeked by under the radar! Good Job! I'm Impressed!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    pandorajam??? gotta check it out
    just sent you a PM

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

I tried the IPhone and I liked it but it's not an Android, is it? I'm leaning towards the Androids because of all the apps that will be available for it. We are w/ Sprint and they have some new droid phones - the Hero, a motorola similar to the Droid and this other one I saw last night. What bugs me is you have to wait until you are eligible for an upgrade. Well we are but only the PRIMARY phone is eligible for the FULL upgrade. So the secondary phone you have to pay an arm and a leg to upgrade. I really can't justify spending a ton of money on a freakin phone when like tattr said, you buy the latest and greatest and then a month later they come out with something better and you end up hating what you just bought.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

From what I heard tHis was suppose to happen begining of this year but verizon refused to supply 4g network speed which is needed for the new iphone, so they signed with AT&T again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

if u want an Iphone for verizion just buy a Unlocked phone there usually a bit more expensive than the normal versions but u can use ulocked phones on any Cell phone provider >)

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Could I get one w/ Sprint? Don't they run on some different network where I can't?

Funny how cell phone companies get ya - I'm fully upgradeable but my 2nd line is not so if hdx wants a phone, they want him to pay $400 while I only pay $179. So no phones for now. Not sure how to buy a phone w/out going through Sprint and trying to get it activated.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDog65 View Post
    if u want an Iphone for verizion just buy a Unlocked phone there usually a bit more expensive than the normal versions but u can use ulocked phones on any Cell phone provider >)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile Yes you can

I know theirs a company in the boston area that will sell you an ulocked phone i saw it on one of those news magazine shows i will google it and see what i find.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post OK UNLOCK YOUR CELLPHONE

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...riers_control/

Or just google warlock wireless but read the artical so you understand you can buy an unlocked phone or you can send your phone to them and they will unlock it for you. So techincally you get buy an iphone from ebay or whatever then send it to them and they will put it on your current network.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All I have to say is that I LOVE my iPhone, but I HATE AT&T...

The Droid looks cool, but I think I'll stick with my 2G iPhone. She serves me just fine.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question

[QUOTE=Lamonster;157452]I see you have SpyderLovers on the screen so I guess it's Spyder related.

So how do you like it?

I also have one and the Big DISAPPOINTMENT is the blue tooth will only answer a call, it can not voice dial a call thru the Blue tooth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    http://www.boston.com/business/techn...riers_control/

Or just google warlock wireless but read the artical so you understand you can buy an unlocked phone or you can send your phone to them and they will unlock it for you. So techincally you get buy an iphone from ebay or whatever then send it to them and they will put it on your current network.
    Won't work on Verizon, different technology.
    A new report from OTR Global relayed by AppleInsider indicates that Apple is planning on manufacturing new hybrid iPhones that will support both Verizon's CDMA2000 network as well as the UMTS 3G network. Only the UMTS network is supported by the current version of the iPhone and is used by AT&T and much of the rest of the world.Qualcomm's new hybrid CDMA/WCDMA chip offers the potential for a single, global iPhone that users can take to any major carrier, solving the network fractionalization problem. It also solves other issues that had served as roadblocks, including the issue of user confusion that would result from Apple selling separate CDMA and GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone.
    The reason behind building in such support would seem primarily to extend the iPhone's compatibility with Verizon in the U.S. The move is expected to take place by the 3rd quarter of 2010. Conveniently, AT&T's exclusivity contract with Apple is believed to expire in mid 2010.

The report also indicates the new model's screen will also shrink in size from 3.5" to 2.8" diagonally. Curiously, this is not the first time the possibility of a 2.8" iPhone has emerged with iLounge previously publishing photos of 2.8" screens that were believed to be for use in future Apple devices.