Spyder Garage

Default Does the ACS really make a difference in ride?

I have a new to me 2014 RTS. I've had it about 4 months and just recently deleted the purge valve that was causing my hard to start when warm problem. However, while riding this weekend I was playing around with the ACS remote adjustment on the console, watching the graph go up and down while riding but never noticing any difference in ride or height in any way. Through research I found the Schrader valve under the seat and tested it - 0 lbs of pressure. I pumped it up to 30, the bike immediately rose up. But it leaked down to 0 in about 2 minutes.

My question is, does having this work properly really make that much of a difference in the ride? I don't have anything to compare it too. My wife does complain that it feels like she can feel every bump in the road. I thought maybe just too much air in the tires, but I couldn't get access to the valve stem to check it. Wouldn't more air in tires or suspension bring out even more bumps?. Is this worth fixing? What is my next step? Spray bottle? Green slime? Manual bypass? New bags? Or continue without it? ...Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-03-2023 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not 1330 engine specific/related... ;-)

Spyder Garage

When mine was working, I noticed a difference in ride when playing with the switch but mostly just at the extremes. If you're riding two-up, then yes you're going to notice a difference as the ACS system is supposed to keep the tryke/suspension level under load.

Bottom line is that it sounds like you need at least the air bag working when you ride two up.

The ACS in my 2014 died a while back. I pulled the line from the schrader valve and the one from the air bag and connected them with coupler. I can air up the bag and it'll last a day or so at most. Not sure what's leaking - could be the coupler or the air bag.

As it sits now, I can't ride two-up as the stock shock won't support both of us well enough - we bottom out on every bump. I've got M2 shocks on order with heavier springs and when those come in, I'll tear into the system and see whats up.

If you haven't done anything to the air system as yet, a quick fix is running a line straight from the schrader valve to the air bag as I did.

There's several things that could be leaking: the check valve on the compressor gets dirty and sticks, they used press fittings vs compression fittings and some people say they don't hold up as well. Sometimes small rocks get under the air bag and wear holes in it - a Fernco Cap under it can keep that from happening again and I've read that a few people here have successfully used Ride-On in the air bag to fix the small leaks.

Accessing the compressor and air system is a PITA. There are a few videos on Youtube showing how to access the system, mostly by removing the rear baggage.

I haven't done it yet as I'm waiting on my shocks to do everything down there at one time.

I'm at work right now and don't have time to search, but there are many threads on here about issues with the ACS and how to fix or bypass the system.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Acs

You definately need the air bag riding 2 up...There are several ways to fix the ACS...Search the forum...You need to find the source of the leak and repair it first...Some have chosen aftermarket rear shocks...Expensive and I'm not sure how well they work when set up for 2 up riding and then you go riding alone??? With the air bag system you can change the pressure to compensate for the load difference...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy Wife Happy Life

Fix your ACS, either by converting to manual only as several members suggested or be ready to break out the wallet and tools to continue with automatic.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I would just hook the bag straight to the Schrader, and play with the pressure, you will find a happy spot where you will just leave it alone! Cheap easy fix!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scwirenut View Post
    I have a new to me 2014 RTS. I've had it about 4 months and just recently deleted the purge valve that was causing my hard to start when warm problem. However, while riding this weekend I was playing around with the ACS remote adjustment on the console, watching the graph go up and down while riding but never noticing any difference in ride or height in any way. Through research I found the Schrader valve under the seat and tested it - 0 lbs of pressure. I pumped it up to 30, the bike immediately rose up. But it leaked down to 0 in about 2 minutes.

My question is, does having this work properly really make that much of a difference in the ride? I don't have anything to compare it too. My wife does complain that it feels like she can feel every bump in the road. I thought maybe just too much air in the tires, but I couldn't get access to the valve stem to check it. Wouldn't more air in tires or suspension bring out even more bumps?. Is this worth fixing? What is my next step? Spray bottle? Green slime? Manual bypass? New bags? Or continue without it? ...Thanks
    Yes it makes a huge difference. When our system quit holding air, I felt every bump in the road and knocked my back out despite despite begging the driver to take it slow.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar