Spyder Garage

Default Is there a Belt Tensioner for 2013 and older Spyders?

Did some research here and couldn't find anything...Doc used to make a belt tensioner for the 2013 and under Spyders. I have looked, but can't find one for the older Spyders. BRP and others have a smooth roller, which causes a loud whine on the older ribbed belts. Anyone making one for the older Spyders?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2023 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Spyder Garage

I believe the swingarm is still the same from 2010 to at least 2019, so I would think any of them would work. I could be wrong. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A number of us owners don't use dampeners. Just another item that can fail if you don't keep a check on it often enough. If your belt is properly adjusted with the tensioners, you will find the belt's happy spot. No vibration, no squeal, no issues. Popular adjustments range from the high 100s to the low 200s. The high 200s seem to be the least desirable tensions. Search "belt tension" and you'll find a week's worth of reading.

Spyder Garage

With the ribbed belt you need a roller made of o rings. This is how Doc used to make his if he was dealing with a ribbed belt. It stills makes a little noise but not as bad.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Do yourself a favor and make sure your belt alignment is right, and your tension is correct. Get yourself a Krikit ll v-belt tension gauge from Gates, part number 91132. Then with the bike on the ground, try to pick a spot in the middle of the belt span you should be getting somewhere around 160, that seems to be a good tension for most of us! If your getting a hard vibration from the rear of your bike it may not be your belt at all, and if your just looking for a tensioner just because there seems to be a lot of people talking about it on here, do yourself a favor and don't go down the rabbit hole. It's one more thing to mess your day up when it fails, and one more thing to keep your eye on!! Good luck, whatever you decide!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl