Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer says Demo Rides are not possible - any suggestions?

Newby here. Longtime lurker but have rarely posted.

I took the 3-wheel rider course to get my endorsement in Florida.

I filled out the demo request on the Can-Am website. I was contacted by a local dealership representative by text, which I thought was odd. Car dealers always call. Anyway, he tells me demos are not possible. I ask if this is because of a lack of inventory. He said no, the dealer just doesn't allow test drives.

They had only Ryker 600s in the class, so that is the extent of my experience.

I am really more interested in the F3 and RT units, but without even the briefest of demo rides, I can't see how I could venture out and buy one.

Any suggestions? BTW, Customer Service at Can-Am at 888-272-9222 could provide no assistance or solution. I am willing to travel in the Southeast to make it happen, but they are making it difficult. It is interesting Harley has no problem demoing their units.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2023 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Its very dealer specific - so I'd suggest trying a different dealer. I had bad luck with my local dealers so drove an hour to another dealer and test-rode (and bought) from them there. Only caveat is that I had to call ahead to arrange a test drive.

Also, see if the Can-Am Experience is coming close to you anytime soon: https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...xperience.html

Spyder Garage

I will give some a call.

It looks like the demo days are in the Northeast now.

This all makes me a little leery. If it is this hard to make a potential purchase, I wonder how difficult it is to get service.

Thanks for your input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gitoa View Post
    I will give some a call.

It looks like the demo days are in the Northeast now.

This all makes me a little leery. If it is this hard to make a potential purchase, I wonder how difficult it is to get service.

Thanks for your input.
    Check dealers as you have determined to do. Some dealers are more "customer friendly" than others. You will find that service is also hit and miss. When you find a dealer that is good, give them a shout out. Ask those in your area who they would recommend. Good luck with your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I filled out the demo request on the Can-Am website. I was contacted by a local dealership representative by text, which I thought was odd. Car dealers always call. Anyway, he tells me demos are not possible. I ask if this is because of a lack of inventory. He said no, the dealer just doesn't allow test drives.

I am really more interested in the F3 and RT units, but without even the briefest of demo rides, I can't see how I could venture out and buy one.

Any suggestions? BTW, Customer Service at Can-Am at 888-272-9222 could provide no assistance or solution. I am willing to travel in the Southeast to make it happen, but they are making it difficult. It is interesting Harley has no problem demoing their units.

Thanks in advance.
    Where in florida are you?

Spyder Garage

Jacksonville

Spyder Garage

Jacksonville
    Both Jacksonville Power Sports and RideNow in Jacksonville supposedly will have a Can Am Experience program. Don't know the dates. You might see if there is an RT and/or F3 owner in your area that might let you take a short ride on his/her Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wonder what the insurance premium is for dealers who allow demo rides?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Both Jacksonville Power Sports and RideNow in Jacksonville supposedly will have a Can Am Experience program. Don't know the dates. You might see if there is an RT and/or F3 owner in your area that might let you take a short ride on his/her Spyder.
    Allowing some unknown to ride your spyder is an extreme liability that leaves you exposing yourself to a giant lawsuit that could cause you to lose your home and everything else you own. DON'T DO THAT! Even a friend could turn on you, you never know until it's too late. JMHO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Well, Jacksonville Powersports contacted me by text after filling out the form on the Can-AM website. Any demo program by the factory is now running through the northern climes as they come out of hibernation.

I have not reached out to Ride Now yet. I wanted to do business with Jacksonville Powersports as I am familiar with the owner, but policies are policies.

Spyder Garage

You might call around to the area dealers you would be willing to travel to.
    I would be very surprised if "no demos" was ALL the dealers policy.
    There's no way I would buy a used bike of any kind without getting to ride it first.
    I have never encountered that policy when looking for a used bike at a dealer.
    When I first began to look at Spyders I did several test rides on the used RT's the dealers had for sale.
    That's how I got the experience of how they handle differently from a 2-wheeler or conventional trike.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Also, if a dealership allows test rides, make sure you are allowed to ride out of their parking lot.

The dealership here in Reno only allows test rides on their own parking lot. I suppose that's ok, if you're wondering what model fits you best. But as far as exploring the machines capabilities, you're gonna need to get out of 2nd gear and out on the road, LOL.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance.
    If you are willing to go as far as Hobe Sound, please call Broward Motorsports at 772-252-5000. We took the class there, and they permitted my wife to take the used RTL we are buying for a brief ride around the parking lot. Of course, they knew and understood that we were not buying a used cycle without at least a little test ride. On the positive side, my wife found the RTL *easier* to control than the Ryker. I guess it's the power steering.
    Chip
    Soon-to-be 2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Can you find a used one and take a demo ride on it?

Was at my dealer in Lakeland yesterday. I had a recall on my 2022 Ryker for a brake spring. While there I asked to sit on a Spyder. Literally could not get my leg high enough to get over the seat without damaging it with my boot. Also noted that all but one Spyder there had a radio. I hate radios and speakers on a bike. There was a solo seat one there with no radio junk. Foot pegs were forward and again, not reasonable to get my leg over the thing to sit on it.

Find someone's used one and take a test ride like that. You may even want it ... if you can lift your leg high enough to get it over the seat without doing damage.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-03-2023 at 05:34 PM. Reason: on - one ;-)

Spyder Garage

I am a retired new car dealer and think your dealer is full of crap. And you knowing the owner and still not being offered a demo ride makes the customer service even worse.

Never bought a bike from any dealer that refused a test ride and told them so before walking out. Demo rides to licensed customers is part of the business and is covered by the dealer’s insurance.

I am astounded by the lack of customer service at motorcycle dealers and the unhelpful actions by this manufacturer. Having to wait for a test drive to come to your area is just plain bs.

Suggest taking your business elsewhere.
    Last edited by Tourer; 05-03-2023 at 06:48 PM.
    2015 F3S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On your first call to a dealer to ask about a test ride, be sure to let them know that you have taken the course and have ridden a Ryker. Let them know that the main purpose of your call is to see if an F3 or an RT will fit you.

I can understand that a dealer would not be in favor of any John Doe walking in off the street for a joy ride, but who could refuse a potential customer?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    On your first call to a dealer to ask about a test ride, be sure to let them know that you have taken the course and have ridden a Ryker. Let them know that the main purpose of your call is to see if an F3 or an RT will fit you.

I can understand that a dealer would not be in favor of any John Doe walking in off the street for a joy ride, but who could refuse a potential customer?

You would be surprised. In hot markets they literally treat you like dirt making you practically beg to buy something from them. I suspect many such dealers will change their tune later in the year as the economy further takes its toll on their numbers.

Spyder Garage

I took my Basic Three Wheel Motorcycle course and obtained my license on a Ryker. There really is no reason to test drive the bikes that I could find. Either you are comfortable with the seating position and the price or you are not. I have never seen a motorcycle that had a dealer license plate ready for a test drive anytime in my life.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Have you considered renting a Spyder if all else fails. True it won't be free but it could save you from making a multi thousand dollar mistake.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    I took my Basic Three Wheel Motorcycle course and obtained my license on a Ryker. There really is no reason to test drive the bikes that I could find. Either you are comfortable with the seating position and the price or you are not. I have never seen a motorcycle that had a dealer license plate ready for a test drive anytime in my life.
    Ever bike, both new and used, that I have purchased has always been available to test ride PRIOR to my purchasing. I would NEVER purchase either a new automoble OR a new motorcycle without being able to drive/ride off the dealers lot. It has always been my understanding that dealers get special consideration from the Mfr. for demo autos/mcs. Is this no longer the case?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I test drove none of my seven Spyders. I did "test sit" about half of them. My very first (2008), I put down a deposit in October of 07 and had to wait until June of 08 for it to come in. At that time period...AK was not even going to be considered for the product. Fortunately, the new CanAm dealer was also the largest selling Ski Doo dealer in the US.

When I lived in Ft. Wayne, IN I had a Kawi/BMW dealer that allowed me to test drive. I chose Kawi KZ650 over the BMW 650 based on my test drive. In Duluth, MN the Honda/Yamaha dealer also let me test drive a Gold Wing and a Venture. The Venture won that go round.

Cars are another thing for me though. I have test driven every car I have ever bought. A couple were rejected immediately by the way they drove and "felt."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-04-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I test drove none of my seven Spyders.

Cars are another thing for me though. I have test driven every car I have ever bought. A couple were rejected immediately by the way they drove and "felt."
    And why should a motorcycle be any different than a car, as far a test riding/ driving? The dollar spent really isn’t all that much different. It’s still a big chunk of change.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    And why should a motorcycle be any different than a car, as far a test riding/ driving? The dollar spent really isn’t all that much different. It’s still a big chunk of change.
    They are different. Driving a Spyder is more like driving a car because of the "no clutch," but the SM5's of course had clutches. Take an unfamiliar driver with two wheels, and you can have an accident quick. Should be different for SE' Spyders and Rykers...but that is not the way things seem to go. I am thinking that dealers are not thinking about safety or possibility of accidents. They just don't want to be user friendly. And yes, if I were a dealer...which I am not...I would require them to have a motorcycle endorsement at minimum for a test ride. But...that's just me.

I have bought over 30 two wheelers since 1965. The only two dealers I encountered that allowed test drives were as mentioned above.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-04-2023 at 02:18 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    While true, its more an issue for those wanting to move from 2-wheel bikes to 3-wheel trikes that haven't taken such a course (If you've taken the 2-wheel version you'll understand that the 3-wheel version is pretty much a joke to you at that point). Also, I do think riding all the main variants (Ryker, F3, RT) is important to make sure you pick the right machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BMW as well as HD encourage the dealers to have test rides. BMW has a special program to help and encourage a test ride. Of course a M/C drivers license is required. With HD test rides, I was always with the sales person on another bike.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L